Success! iATKOS v7 on Toshiba A55-S1063!

WiSkyDiver1

4 posts in this topic

Toshiba A55 S1063 from WalMart a number of years ago.

Celeron M 1.5

1gig RAM

Totally stock internals. Specs: Toshiba Support Site for Specs

No major problems now since I got it to boot. Did find out 3 things so far:

#1 Wired ethernet worked no problem. I do remember checking the intel pro when customizing the install.

#2 Display is working as Generic Intel, limited to 1028 res.

#3 Remember to disable sleep. I didn't and it didn't sleep, it simply froze.

#4 Keyboard is not working, usb Ifeel mouse and Dynex usb keyboard are. But here's the weird part. If I boot with the keyboard plugged in, I get a kernal panic. Solution (for now) unplug keyboard, let it boot, plug keyboard back in. Very strange.

Ok, so that's 4. I'm sure there's going to be more, but it's a start. If anyone wants any specifics on hardware, whatever, just ask and I'll see what I can do. :-)

Oh and by the way, now that I actually got it up and running, I'll be trying to get as much working and tested as I can!

Oh and by the way, now that I got it up and running I'll be working on getting as much to work as I can! I'd like to be able to add this to at least the hardware part of the wiki, but I'm still figuring out this website!

Quick update, software update from apple to 10.5.8 working...

Crossing my fingers here, now downloading/installing security update 2009-006 from Apple. Worst case it crashes and I go to bed and start over again...

All updated. Apple Software Update reports there are no updates available, and it's still running.

I did figure out I'm getting the kernal panic exactly every other boot, regardless of what's or what's not hooked to the laptop. It's VooDoo kernal specific. I'll get a pic later and try and trace it down. For now though it's boot, panic, boot, run fine.

I uploaded a pic of the computer with system profiler showing my info (10.5.8 and it's a MacBook, lmao).

post-540778-1260610568_thumb.jpg

These are very common laptops and if I can get it all ironed out I may pick up a couple more!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just leaving this as is in case anyone else wants to try this too. It works, but I've restored the A55 back to XP. Leopard was fun, I even put Tiger on it to play with. I went back because of the total lack of support for that particular on board graphics chip. Early Tiger did support it, so if anyone REALLY wants OS X on this laptop, stay in the early Tiger stages, really early, like 10.4.1. The graphics chip in this computer in particular is the Intel 855GM chip at the id 3582. I knew it had to be supported at one time, because the installer recognizes this chip! In fact, one of the installers, I think the iATKOS v7, but it could have been an earlier one, even recognized the laptop as a Toshiba A55!

So, for those that are set on using this particular laptop as a Hack, go for it, it can be done, quite easily in fact. Just be prepared to be stuck with native 1028 resolution, and no advanced control.

For me the next stop, a few Hack desktops... (oh, and I traded off a G4 for a loaded to the hilt HP tower, aka, future quad boot. Snow, XP, 7, and Ubuntu...)