Install Failed: The installer could not copy the necessary support files

mordzy

7 posts in this topic

sorry if this has been posted a million times but i have read a few and tried all suggestions but im stuck.

have a Unibody 15" pro with snow leopard. i have got a new hard disk and setting up a new copy of OSX onto the mac.

i have partitioned the disk and formatted. tried to install but recieve the error Install Failed: The installer could not copy the necessary support files

i have mad an image of the CD onto a usb disk and booted off that but get the same error. the OSX DVD is slightly scuffed so maybe its making a bad image of it? i have tried removing printer support etc. i have also tried another new disk.

is there anything else i can try?

• 8 months later...
i have taken one stick of ram out at random and got past this error now. is it likely the ram is faulty or that the slot is faulty?

That's interesting. I was getting the same error. I discovered that one of my RAM sticks was faulty using MemTest86 on my PC. I've sent them back to the manufacturer to be replaced. I'll let you know if I still get the error when I receive my new RAM sticks.

Rich

I got my new RAM sticks delivered on Friday. Tried the install process again yesterday and Snow Leopard installed first time.

One thing I did differently was to select "Customise" and deselect all additional options at the start of the install wizard.

I am now faced with a new problem of my system not detecting the IDE harddrive I installed onto. However, I am pretty sure it's just because it's a really old HDD so I might need to get another one and try again. Still haven't booted into OSX yet.

I'll keep you updated.

Rich

• 11 months later...

Funny enough as a HACKINTOSH user i had this same problem.. but now im in middle of doing the install with only 1 stick of ram and it looks to be working i will update to say if complete and how i fixed it if not..

this is a little note for hackintosh users.. just because its worked once doesn't mean it will work all the time and if you are using a retail version like me (purchased) then be sure to keep the disk well looked after :)

Mordzy thanks for this post i found it on google and it helped a lot !

• 2 months later...
I got my new RAM sticks delivered on Friday. Tried the install process again yesterday and Snow Leopard installed first time.

One thing I did differently was to select "Customise" and deselect all additional options at the start of the install wizard.

I am now faced with a new problem of my system not detecting the IDE harddrive I installed onto. However, I am pretty sure it's just because it's a really old HDD so I might need to get another one and try again. Still haven't booted into OSX yet.

I'll keep you updated.

Rich

This post got my machine to work. My HD died and I put in a new one. When I went to load the original image disk it kept stopping after it counted down to 32 minutes. I selected custom and deselected everything, Snow Leopard loaded without a problem, I hooked up my Time machine drive and in an hour my imac looked like it did before it died. Thanks for the tip!

Scott