Dual boot with Chameleon on 2 separate harddrives

robi39

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to setup dual boot system with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, I have 2 harddrives but I can only boot from the first drive (It's a HP DV7 laptop with 2 hdd bay, but BIOS only boots off the first drive)

I have Windows 7 on the first boot drive with MBR and Snow Leopard with GUID on the second drive.

How do I setup Chameleon to do the dual boot?

Here is what i tried so far:

- Install Chameleon On the SL drive, but i can't boot from that drive

- Try to install chameleon on the windows drive, but that destroys the master boot record

Any help would be appriciated!

I would like to keep Win7 on the first drive with MBR

Thanks but i really want use chameleon

I have Windows 7 and SL installed on two separate disks with Chameleon 2 RC3 as the only bootloader.

I first installed SL on a GPT partitioned disk with Chameleon installed in the EFI partition. Once I got that working perfectly, I disconnected the SL drive and connected the second drive where I want to install Windows 7. If you don't disconnect the SL disk, Windows 7 might screw up your Chameleon bootloader during the installation.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on the second drive and got that up and running.

Then I reconnected the SL drive so both drives are now hooked up, but I boot straight into Windows 7 by selecting the Win7 disk as the boot disk in BIOS. In Win7, open up a command prompt and run it as system administrator. You basically want to set the Chameleon partition as the active partition:

diskpart

list disk

select Disk X (X=disk where you installed SL)

list partition

select Partition X (X=partition containing Chameleon bootloader)

Active

exit

Reboot and set the SL disk as the first boot disk in BIOS. Chameleon should load, giving you the option to select SL or Windows 7.

I have Windows 7 and SL installed on two separate disks with Chameleon 2 RC3 as the only bootloader.

I first installed SL on a GPT partitioned disk with Chameleon installed in the EFI partition. Once I got that working perfectly, I disconnected the SL drive and connected the second drive where I want to install Windows 7. If you don't disconnect the SL disk, Windows 7 might screw up your Chameleon bootloader during the installation.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on the second drive and got that up and running.

Then I reconnected the SL drive so both drives are now hooked up, but I boot straight into Windows 7 by selecting the Win7 disk as the boot disk in BIOS. In Win7, open up a command prompt and run it as system administrator. You basically want to set the Chameleon partition as the active partition:

diskpart

list disk

select Disk X (X=disk where you installed SL)

list partition

select Partition X (X=partition containing Chameleon bootloader)

Active

exit

Reboot and set the SL disk as the first boot disk in BIOS. Chameleon should load, giving you the option to select SL or Windows 7.

Thank you for the great answer.

Is there any way to set the windows drive as the first boot disk?

• 2 months later...

I have three hard drive installed on my PC. Two of the hard drive is running Raid0 with Windows 7 and the other one have snow Leopard 10.6.2. I was able to dual boot with my motherboard set to Raid instead of AHCI by using RC4 Chameleon based on AserBLN 1.1.8 installer package. Give it a go and see what happen

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3315703/Chameleon%...reBLN-1.1.8.zip

• 3 months later...

I have OS X working on my Hackintosh after installing SL using digital dreamer's guide. Used the PC EFI method. Have successfully updated to 10.6.3. Onboard audio still does not work, but haven't tried the ALC 889a kext install yet. I did install a 2nd HD, a WD 2 TB Caviar Green. My boot drive is a WD 1 TB Caviar black, call it "Hackintosh". Wanted to use the 2 TB for backups using Time Machine. So I plugged it in. The drive was recognized. I formatted it as Mac OS Journaled. Called it "Backup". Set it as the destination drive for Time Machine, and it worked fine, got a Time Machine backup. So I shut down and rebooted. Boot stopped at "Verifying DMI Pool". so I went into the BIOS and set the boot order for the Hard Drives: 1. Hackintosh 2. Backup ..Now when I have both drives plugged in, it boots to the Chameleon Bootloader. The only drive I see on the screen is Backup. The progress bar finishes and disappears but Snow Leopard does not come up. It stops at the Chameleon screen. If I hit any key the prompt says "cannot find mach kernel". How do I force the bootloader to use my Hackintosh drive to boot from and not the Backup? I tried hitting F10 but that did nothing. If I take the new drive out of the bay it boots from the Hackintosh drive fine.

Gigabyte EX58 UD5

GTX 220

Core i7 975