Prevent OS X from automounting unknown filesystems.

e1ement

5 posts in this topic

Hey there,

so I'll begin right off: I got three hard drives (as you can see in my signature) and the Hitachi drive is crypted with TrueCrypt, thus OS X can't read the partitions and I always get the annoying message "The disk you inserted was not readable by the computer." on every reboot. Is there any possibility to turn this annoying automount off? I googled hours and hours and I found nothing usable. I can't get an UUID from the drive.

e1ement

Hey there,

so I'll begin right off: I got three hard drives (as you can see in my signature) and the Hitachi drive is crypted with TrueCrypt, thus OS X can't read the partitions and I always get the annoying message "The disk you inserted was not readable by the computer." on every reboot. Is there any possibility to turn this annoying automount off? I googled hours and hours and I found nothing usable. I can't get an UUID from the drive.

e1ement

This is what I have done:.

1. Create 2 primary partitions on it, format 1st partition using OSX recognized file system (HFS+, NTFS, FAT)

2. Encrypt 2nd partition using TrueCrypt

After doing this, once you connect the drive, 1st partition will be automatically mounted. 2nd partition will not be auto mounted and no warning message is displayed.

This is what I have done:.

1. Create 2 primary partitions on it, format 1st partition using OSX recognized file system (HFS+, NTFS, FAT)

2. Encrypt 2nd partition using TrueCrypt

After doing this, once you connect the drive, 1st partition will be automatically mounted. 2nd partition will not be auto mounted and no warning message is displayed.

Unfortunately, the whole drive is already crypted and I can't resize the crypted partitions.

Actually, I'm rather searching for a way to tell OS X not to mount any unknown filesystem or not to mount any filesystem at all (except the install partition).

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, the whole drive is already crypted and I can't resize the crypted partitions.

Actually, I'm rather searching for a way to tell OS X not to mount any unknown filesystem or not to mount any filesystem at all (except the install partition).

I am a bit in uncharted territory, when it comes to finding the UUID in Windows... and also "TrueCrypt" application.

However, If you are using a NTFS partition, with Some Volume name like "MyBackup" (e.g.) that you named.

Then, the best thing would be to edit the fstab.hd file in /Volumes/your-snow-leo-volume-name-here/etc/

You can use Textedit.app, and probably use the root account to get the work done. It's faster that way.

Steps:

Enter these commands in Terminal:

cd /Volumes/your-snow-leo-volume-name-here/etc/

cp fstab.hd fstab

-----

Now open the newly created -> fstab <- file in Textedit

remove the big chunk of text so that the file is completely empty.

and just add the following line:

UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX none ntfs ro,noauto

or

LABEL=MyBackup none ntfs ro,noauto

where MyBackup is the name of your volume...

And kindly be very careful with the spaces between the values.

None are TAB marks and all are spaces, without a return or Line end/ return at the end.

Let's hope this works (worked?), and keep us informed or updated of your efforts...

It's a request so that everyone else too can benefit or upgrade their know-how.

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra

Let's hope this works (worked?), and keep us informed or updated of your efforts...

It's a request so that everyone else too can benefit or upgrade their know-how.

Hey Freaky Chokra,

I already did this some weeks ago on my Windows 7 and EFI partition (which contains the bootloader and necessary files) and it worked fine. Good thing I had some Linux experience with the fstab. But unfortunately, this does not work with the gecrypted partition since it has no UUID and no label. Windows 7's "System Reserverd" partition doesn't have a UUID aswell, although it's NTFS formatted. I couldn't figure out how to prevent it from mounting.

OS X seems to handle the "BSD Names" (/dev/diskXrX/) really weird, on every reboot partitions have another "BSD Name".

e1ement