My personal 10.6.2 update success!

Iman07

1 post in this topic

visit my site for download links: www.aymansworld.com

Ever since the 10.6.2 update came out from Apple I have been itching to install it on my Hackintosh. There was no issue installing the 10.6.1 update so I assumed that the next version shouldnt give me any trouble...boy was I wrong! Well I finally managed to successfully update my hackintosh and I am happily running Snow Leopard 10.6.2! I dont notice any significant imporvements but I am the type of person that doesnt live by the moto "if it ain't broke, dont fix it". I say, "if you can make it better, DO IT!". So lets get started.

All the files you will need can be found here and I will also upload them to my server so they are always available. The files that are downloaded from the site provided are the same as the ones I am linking throughout this tutorial.

Steps:

1) BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA!!! Time machine saved my ass so many times and if you are worried about losing your stuff then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE backup your stuff. Honestly I had to restore at least 7 times before I got it to work. Im sure this will work for you, but no guarantees and I dont want to be responsible for losing your daughters 3rd birthday party photos. SO BACKUP!

2) Find out if you have Sleepenabler.kext. This is was what puzzled me. If you seen other tutorial online, they say to delete this sleepenabler.kext and I COULD NOT FIND IT! So I guess that meant that I didnt have one. But I didnt care, I wanted to have this kext. So what did I do? I put one in there!

a) Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ & /Extra/Extensions and check if you have sleepenabler.kext, if you do, GREAT! If you dont, install it.

i) to install sleepenabler.kext download it here: SleepEnabler

ii) fix permissions using kext utility (just open it and it will do the rest). Kext Utility

iii) reboot. your hackintosh should reboot normally with no kernel panics

I dont even know if step 2 is necessary honestly, but this is what I did and it worked for me, if you feel like you dont need to do it, then dont. Your choice

3) Now go into the root of your harddrive and see if you have a folder called Extra, if you dont, then:

a) download it here: Extra

;) fix permissions with kext utility

c) reboot

4) Inside your /Extra folder there should be another folder called Extensions. You are now on the hunt for a kext called dsmos.kext. Make sure that it is not in the extensions folder nor in the root of the Extra folder. If you find it, TEMRINATE IT!!! (delete it)

5) Replace NullCPUPM.kext with this one: NullCPUPowerManagement

a) place it in your Extra/Extensions folder

6) Put FakeSMC.kext in BOTH the root of Extra & Extra/Extensions: fakesmc

7) Run the update (NOT FROM SOFTWARE UPDATE!!!)

a) download it here

i) here if your on 10.6.0

ii) here if your on 10.6.1

DO NOT RESTART AFTER THE UPDATE!DO NOT RESTART AFTER THE UPDATE!DO NOT RESTART AFTER THE UPDATE!DO NOT RESTART AFTER THE UPDATE!DO NOT RESTART AFTER THE UPDATE! (get the point?)

8) Go into /Extra/Extensions and replace Sleepenabler.kext with this one:

a) Sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2: SleepEnabler

AFTER YOU DID EVERYTHING, RESTART AND START PRAYING!

You are now on 10.6.2! Good job guys!

If you need help, leave a comment or ask on twitter: @Ayman07