Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 x2 QE/CI

bboylalu

12 posts in this topic

Hi. I have Mac OS X 1.5.8 (iATKOS v7) and it works perfect. I still have a BIG issue: I want to install Final Cut Pro, but it tells me I don't have enough NVRAM and that Quartz Extreme is not enabled. As in the title, I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 x2. I tried lots of tutorials, and only ended up with 1280x1024 (instead of 1024x768), no Quartz enabled, and a "jumping" USB mouse.

System Profiler says:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9443

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Please, help me... I installed OS X with the main purpose of having Final Cut. After all the installation issues (took me about 3 days to make it, and I am pretty good at computers), now I'm stuck on a driver/patch :)... Thank you very much, I would really appreciate some help.

P.S.: My PC case is BURNING when I'm on OS X (right where the GPU is located), unlike in Windows. Any ideas?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also have this problem with my sapphire 4850 (1GB). I did a clean SL install (Snow OSX + 10.6.2 update), edited the ATI4800COntroller.kext, EVOenabler.kext installed.

And it works, I've got native resolution on my two dvi-connected screens. I didn't check QE / CI / GL at this point and updated to 10.6.3. It was only then that I realized certain problems:

- Many animation are not fluid. E.g. I can play chess but it's visibly not hardware accelerated, same thing with screensaver and other animations

- Front Row doesn't work (black)

- Video cannot be played in VLC Media Player! (Window shows, sound plays, but nothing appears inside the window

- Dashboard ripple effects don't show up

- glxgears or glxinfo don't work

- Installed Steam, played Bejeweled 2, no hardware acceleration either

I therefore assume that hardware acceleration is in fact not active. I installed Netkas QE CI Exotic cards and the fix. I installed the LegacyATI4800COntroller.kext. I deleted unneeded ATI kexts, nothing changes. Since I had all of this working in Leopard prior to the new SL install and since others here seem to have this working, I really believe I missed something. I also don't know if this is unique to 10.6.3 since, as I mentioned, I didn't check before the update. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

i Got it working 100% add vga dongle to second dvi out. use chameleon 2 rc 5 and kabyl boot file graphics enabler yes and netkas 10.6.4 exotic 2000x kext and graphics update exotic patch 4800 kext after installing combo update and graphics update. id post a screenie but i have no clue how to do that.

i Got it working 100% add vga dongle to second dvi out. use chameleon 2 rc 5 and kabyl boot file graphics enabler yes and netkas 10.6.4 exotic 2000x kext and graphics update exotic patch 4800 kext after installing combo update and graphics update. id post a screenie but i have no clue how to do that.

command+shift+3

=)

• 1 month later...

Sweet at long last I got my 4850x2 working at 100%. I always was able to get full res but I was never able to get QE and CI working properly. Unlike Leopard, Snow Leopard no longer shows your QE and CI compatibility in the "About This Mac" screen. So the only way to find out if it worked was to try and install a software that required QE and CI (i.e. Final Cut Studio). If your card didn't have hardware acceleration you'd get and error message and the installation would fail. This was especially annoying for me because I used Final Cut almost everyday and could no longer use it after I upgraded to 10.6.3.

I have a DVI to VGA adapter installed in my second DVI port BTW (Not sure if it matters anymore, I'll try and boot without it and report back later).

Heres what I did:

1. Reformatted my Snow partition and reinstalled SL. (Not necessary but I was getting KP's and it had been months since I've been tinkering with OSX).

2. Updated to 10.6.5 using MacOSXCombo10.6.5.dmg from apple.com

3.Installed QE_CI_Exotic patch for 10.6.5 from nektas.org

4. Installed Kabyl's boot file to my Chameleon 2 RC3 directory.

After everything was installed I rebooted and I had full resolution (didn't excite me) so I tried to install Final Cut Studio and IT WORKED!!

So I know for sure that QE and CI and working with 10.6.5 with the 4850x2. I'm not sure what individual step caused my card to work and I don't care lol. You may be able to skip the installation of the Kabyl boot file, but I don't know. I attached it just in case. You can try the aforementioned steps and see what you get.

Good Luck.

KABYL_BOOT.gz

• 3 weeks later...
Sweet at long last I got my 4850x2 working at 100%. I always was able to get full res but I was never able to get QE and CI working properly. Unlike Leopard, Snow Leopard no longer shows your QE and CI compatibility in the "About This Mac" screen. So the only way to find out if it worked was to try and install a software that required QE and CI (i.e. Final Cut Studio). If your card didn't have hardware acceleration you'd get and error message and the installation would fail. This was especially annoying for me because I used Final Cut almost everyday and could no longer use it after I upgraded to 10.6.3.

I have a DVI to VGA adapter installed in my second DVI port BTW (Not sure if it matters anymore, I'll try and boot without it and report back later).

Heres what I did:

1. Reformatted my Snow partition and reinstalled SL. (Not necessary but I was getting KP's and it had been months since I've been tinkering with OSX).

After everything was installed I rebooted and I had full resolution (didn't excite me) so I tried to install Final Cut Studio and IT WORKED!!

So I know for sure that QE and CI and working with 10.6.5 with the 4850x2. I'm not sure what individual step caused my card to work and I don't care lol. You may be able to skip the installation of the Kabyl boot file, but I don't know. I attached it just in case. You can try the aforementioned steps and see what you get.

Good Luck.

are you running in 64-bit mode?

Heres what I did:

Good Luck.

Will this work on my Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4850 512mb?