Trendnet 424-UB 3.1R - Snow Leopard Drivers?

cowhelmet

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone been able to find a driver that works for this USB Wireless Dongle? The drivers which have successfully worked on my 10.5.8 build are no longer functional in 10.6.2.

The trendnet uses the 8187B realtek chip.

Currently I am using a linksys PCI NIC but this is only a temporary solution. The card uses a realtek 8169s driver for 10.5, but I get the infamous self-assigned IP address problem after about a half hour of heavy use.

I have tried removing the IOnetworking kext from my chameleon boot and that seems to increase stability a bit, but again this is not a real fix.

Just a side note I tried the solution of editing the plist and changing the last 4 lines of the code to all nines, but I can't get my machine to boot into 32 bit mode with either the -x32 or arch=i386, to see if this initializes the dongle. It will continually boot into 64 bit no matter what I try.

Specs:

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Asus P5N-D

NForce 750i Chipset

Quad Core q9550

4 gig of ram (I heard removing 2 sticks will increase the potential drop out of network, would like to avoid this)

Nvidia GTX 260

USB Dongle System info:

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

Product ID: 0x8189

Vendor ID: 0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Location ID: 0x2b500000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Thanks,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

dude, here's your solution:

... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193561

I'm trying to track down support for the 8192E myself, seeking to get it to work in a Samsung N130:

http://adidat.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-...msung-n130.html

I'm working to aggregate clues on that one, and converging on that url. Hopefully folks will find all the pointers to it that I'm posting around the net. It's one of the few things not working natively on that particular netbook.

ciao

@brian

• 5 months later...

I have same adapter and it works in snow 10.6.3 under 32 bit i am also trying to figure out how to change the driver to work in 64 bit mode ... i figured out how to change the plist for 32 bit but that trick didn't work with 64 ... i'll see if i can figure it out.

In the meantime if anyone has more info on how to port driver from 32 bit to 64bit please write something ;)

Thanks,

Keks

Has anyone been able to find a driver that works for this USB Wireless Dongle? The drivers which have successfully worked on my 10.5.8 build are no longer functional in 10.6.2.

The trendnet uses the 8187B realtek chip.

Currently I am using a linksys PCI NIC but this is only a temporary solution. The card uses a realtek 8169s driver for 10.5, but I get the infamous self-assigned IP address problem after about a half hour of heavy use.

I have tried removing the IOnetworking kext from my chameleon boot and that seems to increase stability a bit, but again this is not a real fix.

Just a side note I tried the solution of editing the plist and changing the last 4 lines of the code to all nines, but I can't get my machine to boot into 32 bit mode with either the -x32 or arch=i386, to see if this initializes the dongle. It will continually boot into 64 bit no matter what I try.

Specs:

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

Asus P5N-D

NForce 750i Chipset

Quad Core q9550

4 gig of ram (I heard removing 2 sticks will increase the potential drop out of network, would like to avoid this)

Nvidia GTX 260

USB Dongle System info:

RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter:

Product ID: 0x8189

Vendor ID: 0x0bda (Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)

Version: 2.00

Serial Number: 00e04c000001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Manufacturer_Realtek

Location ID: 0x2b500000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Thanks,

Dan