What's the best motherboard for an i7 Hackintosh build?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this site although I've been reading up a lot on hackintosh builds for some time now. I'm planning a new build with a Core i7 920 and I'm torn between the two most popular X58 motherboards:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

I'm a huge fan of Asus and would like to stick with the P6T Deluxe V2. However, I've noticed there is definitely more support for the Gigabyte UD5 and seemingly an easier overall install process compared to that of the Asus. I'm looking for a motherboard that will allow me to install Snow Leopard as easily as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm also planning on getting an ATI 5870 although I realize the support for it just isn't there so I may downgrade my choice to a NVIDIA BFG GTX 285 OC graphics card. Is there anything I should know about before I take the plunge? I also plan on dual-booting with Windows 7 Ultimate. This rig will be mainly for basic usage, video editing, and some gaming.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you like the idea of blazing some new ground and possibly having a board that might not work 100% with OS X, buy the Gigabyte.

Seriously.

Gigabyte is the brand recommended 99% of the time. I swear, I think they design their stuff to work with OS X.

Save yourself the hassle and the headache and buy whats already known to work.

this is the thread for the asus board... i have it and can now set up an install on it in under an hour...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182978

my spec is asus board

12 gig ram

ocx 285gtx

i7 920

running sl at 10.6.2 perfectly... nice and cool and oc'ed to 3.62

simple merge posts 1 and 123... ie the kexts from post 123... and guide from post 1...

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi,

because Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme is very expensive, I want to ask you: is there difference in Mac OS X support between it, GA-EX58-UD3, GA-EX58-UD4, GA-EX58-UD5?

The short answer is the Gigabyte EX58 mother boards are great OS X hacks. Check out the listing on TonyMacX86 site.

I own a GA EX58-UD3R and two GA P55M-UD2's. These machines are rock solid and require almost no maintenance (two are up 24x7) running the current 10.6.4 with all updates. These machines have been up for months; the EX58 came up in Oct of 2009 and the P55's in February 2010.

Go for the least cost Gigabyte MB and spend on CPU, memory and SSD drive.

neil