Snow Leopard Install on EP45 DS3R

ukhanlists

3 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte EP-45 DS-3R with BIOS F10. I had Leopard 10.5.8 running with Chameleon 2-RC2 for a while now. I was hoping to install 106 and I worked through the following guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

and managed to get Snow Leopard installed using the guide. However, I have several problems:

1. The Chameleon install fails - "Chameleon can only be installed filesystem OS-X installed"

2. During the boot, there are kernel panics. Pictures of panics attached.

Anyone got Snow Leopard running on EP45 DS3R. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

post-166606-1257133690_thumb.jpg

I have a Gigabyte EP-45 DS-3R with BIOS F10. I had Leopard 10.5.8 running with Chameleon 2-RC2 for a while now. I was hoping to install 106 and I worked through the following guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

and managed to get Snow Leopard installed using the guide. However, I have several problems:

1. The Chameleon install fails - "Chameleon can only be installed filesystem OS-X installed"

2. During the boot, there are kernel panics. Pictures of panics attached.

Anyone got Snow Leopard running on EP45 DS3R. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

A complete list of the hardware installed in your machine would be nice to have for us to be able to help you better, a lot of us make a signature with it listed to stop having to type it in repeatedly you may want to consider the same idea. That said from the looks of that screen shot it is failing on the smbios. So what are you using for its settings? In fact a listing of all the files you used in the /Extra directory, whether you use a DSDT.aml, the contents of the smbios.plist, the com.apple.Boot.plist and an overview of the steps you took to install can help too. Today I installed on my spare machine which I just upgraded to that motherboard to have an identical to my main install test bed it went without problems using the older mount the .dmg of install disk to run the installer onto a USB external drive then apply patches before booting on the machine method I like to do. By the way just noticed you have posted this in the wrong forum you may want to contact a mod to get them to move the thread and get back to us with the needed extra information and we should be able to help.

A complete list of the hardware installed in your machine would be nice to have for us to be able to help you better, a lot of us make a signature with it listed to stop having to type it in repeatedly you may want to consider the same idea. That said from the looks of that screen shot it is failing on the smbios. So what are you using for its settings? In fact a listing of all the files you used in the /Extra directory, whether you use a DSDT.aml, the contents of the smbios.plist, the com.apple.Boot.plist and an overview of the steps you took to install can help too. Today I installed on my spare machine which I just upgraded to that motherboard to have an identical to my main install test bed it went without problems using the older mount the .dmg of install disk to run the installer onto a USB external drive then apply patches before booting on the machine method I like to do. By the way just noticed you have posted this in the wrong forum you may want to contact a mod to get them to move the thread and get back to us with the needed extra information and we should be able to help.

From PM:

MacUser2525,

Thanks for the advice on the signature - I did create a signature with the hardware specs, etc. Anyway, here is the current disk configuration:

/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_HFS SnowLeopard 107.4 GB disk0s2 3: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 42.9 GB disk0s3 4: Microsoft Basic Data LINUX 21.5 GB disk0s4 5: Microsoft Basic Data SOLARIS 16.1 GB disk0s5 6: Microsoft Basic Data SWAP 8.6 GB disk0s6

/dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1 2: Apple_HFS Leopard 125.0 GB disk1s2

The partition scheme on /dev/disk0 has changed. I was following the guide and I was planning on keeping Chameleon on it's own partition, but I couldn't get Chameleon to install on that partition. So ended up removing the partition and I still get the same problem when I try to install Chameleon on the SnowLeopard partition. Last when this happened, I just downloaded the latest version(Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658) and installed it using fdisk and dd:

$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

$ sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

$ sudo cp boot /Volumes/Chameleon

Following were the kext's I had in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

I tried attaching the following files individually, but I was not permitted to. So tarred them and they are in the archive.

com.apple.Boot.plist

SMBIOS.plist

DSDT.dsl

I would really like to find out why Chameleon installer is failing and get this machine running. I used the boot CD mentioned in the install guide. Basically, I booted up with the CD, then swapped out the CD with Install DVD Disc and that started up the OS installer. The installer finished fine and then I rebooted with the Boot CD and specified the the partition where Snow Leopard was installed. Then the 10.6.1 update was installed and the next step was installing Chameleon. The Chameleon installer failed again.

If you could, then please send me the steps you followed with as much detail as possible.

Thank you so much

There seems to be no link to the files you mention making the archive of in the PM perhaps you may want to post them again if necessary. The Chameleon installer is failing in the guide you are following because you are running it from a SL environment you need to do the manual copy method for the RC3 version you downloaded, it tells you this at the bottom of the guide you link too.

Q. "I have tried running the Chameleon installer but it fails"

A. The Chameleon package installer needs to be run from Leopard (10.5), or if using 10.6, you need to install it manually.

Now here is how I did it prepared my USB external GUID partitioned HFS+ formatted then mounted the .dmg of my install disk I made to run the installer from my Leopard install, since you have a disk you can just make a .dmg image or mount the disk to type in then hit enter key in Terminal.

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Then to run installer.

open OSInstall.mpkg

Proceed with install choose Customize then deselect all printer drivers, all Language Translations. Once done this I installed the Chameleon onto the SnowInstall partition using the package installer for RC2. When its finished installing go back to your terminal and take ownership of the drive.

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/SnowInstall

Copied files I had downloaded in advance from another volume to the SnowInstall starting with the boot file from RC3 to upgrade to it.

cp /Volumes/Files/Patches/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386/boot /Volumes/SnowInstall/boot

Moving onto the smbios.plist in the RC3 download.

cp /Volumes/Files/Patches/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/Optional\ Extras/smbios.plist /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/

Then edit to iMac7,1 for my model and adjusted the FSB, Memory speeds... in smbios.plist.

nano /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/smbios.plist

Installed the DSDT.aml I already had tested on my spare machine running Leopard.

cp /Volumes/Files/Patches/DSDT.aml /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/

Then replaced the fakesmc.kext with one patched to allow you to read the CPU temperature in Istat you can get it in this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=192517&hl=

cp -R /Volumes/Files/Patches/fakesmc.kext /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/Extensions/

Proceed to unmount the USB plugged in to my spare computer booted hitting the F12 key to select the drive as source of boot and it worked first time. After checking Time Machine and getting a _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 in Terminal/System logs I used the UUID.kext and instructions from this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192568

Found when I went to rebuild the cache that I needed to fix permission on the UUID.kext

chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/Extensions/UUID.kext

chmod -R 0755 /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/Extensions/UUID.kext

The rebuild cache command found here the part I used.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3&st=0&

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SnowInstall/Extra/Extensions/

That was it after reboot no more problems with it. You may want to consider trying this method yourself adapting of course to where you store you files and see how it goes I am thinking you should be able to get the same results as I did. Now you would want to set the GraphicsEnabler option in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder to get your graphics as in this post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t183156.html

Don't think I have left anything out if I have the best place to ask questions is in the thread you created I don't really check the PM's most times and it is better to keep things where others can find the answers as well when searching. A hint on that use Google with the term "site:insanelymac.com" without the " on the end to search here the built-in one just plain sucks.