Acer Aspire Notebook + OS X?

Matt K.

9 posts in this topic

I finally decided on a notebook to buy - an Acer Aspire 5532 from Best Buy. It's basically a budget laptop with a couple of pretty high-end features, making it great worth for the price. I can't decide what OS to run, as Windows 7 is still too buggy for my taste; but I've always liked OS X and want to know whether it'll run.

Here's the Aspire's spec:

• AMD Athlon 64 processor, 512KB L2 cache, supports MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3
  • AMD M780G chipset
  • ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics with up to 2GB of HyperMemory
  • 3GB dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM
  • 250GB hard disk drive
  • 8x DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
  • Multi-in-one card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
  • 15.6" HD 1366 X 768-pixel high-brightness display
  • Two built-in stereo speakers
  • Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam
  • Acer Invilink Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi

I know OS X will install in theory. Does anyone have any experience with this specific notebook, or any of these components? Again, your opinions would be great.

judging by the Processor it should install...iDeneb is what I used for my OS X install on AMD before and it worked.

I myself have an Acer Aspire 4736Z which is an intel lappy but it has the same Wireless networking..so I am curious as if it will work cause that would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally decided on a notebook to buy - an Acer Aspire 5532 from Best Buy. It's basically a budget laptop with a couple of pretty high-end features, making it great worth for the price. I can't decide what OS to run, as Windows 7 is still too buggy for my taste; but I've always liked OS X and want to know whether it'll run.

Here's the Aspire's spec:

• AMD Athlon 64 processor, 512KB L2 cache, supports MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3
  • AMD M780G chipset
  • ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics with up to 2GB of HyperMemory
  • 3GB dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM
  • 250GB hard disk drive
  • 8x DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
  • Multi-in-one card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
  • 15.6" HD 1366 X 768-pixel high-brightness display
  • Two built-in stereo speakers
  • Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam
  • Acer Invilink Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi

I know OS X will install in theory. Does anyone have any experience with this specific notebook, or any of these components? Again, your opinions would be great.

bump for Ideas. I just bought the same one...

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, because I just bought mine and I really need to know what OS to use. I'm downloading Kalyway 10.5.1 as we speak, but I can't definitively figure out whether or not it works on AMD. Should I be using iDeneb or something instead?

Help please!

• 3 months later...
Bump, because I just bought mine and I really need to know what OS to use. I'm downloading Kalyway 10.5.1 as we speak, but I can't definitively figure out whether or not it works on AMD. Should I be using iDeneb or something instead?

Help please!

hey, i have the aspire 5532 and installed... heres what i found.

use kalyway for install

use cpus=1

you may get stuck in the welcome screen loop, if you do use cpus=1 -s (google the welcome screen loop for bypassing the welcome screen)

now heres the problem. i cant get my wifi going, loads of people with the atheros wifi driver are having issues, me included so for now im on win 7, aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

someone finish my story with an atheros fix please but there you have it,

you will have to boot with cpus=1 until you do a permanent fix on it

• 4 weeks later...

I have an Acer Aspire 5740 and i got kalyway sucessfully installed with problems though i have no internet at all through my invilink Nplify 802.11b/g/n or my LAN line any responses would be greatly appreciated This has been bugging me all weekend.

• 1 month later...
I have an Acer Aspire 5740 and i got kalyway sucessfully installed with problems though i have no internet at all through my invilink Nplify 802.11b/g/n or my LAN line any responses would be greatly appreciated This has been bugging me all weekend.

I installed Snow Leopard using the "SnowLeo" build on my 5740 and my wireless card works fine. Just having problems with my video card.

just google SNOWLEO MAC Snow Leopard OSX86_64 For INTEL/AMD 32/64 MBR/GUID and you should be able to find it.

I installed Snow Leopard using the "SnowLeo" build on my 5740 and my wireless card works fine. Just having problems with my video card.

just google SNOWLEO MAC Snow Leopard OSX86_64 For INTEL/AMD 32/64 MBR/GUID and you should be able to find it.

Are your video card problems for QE support? I'd like to know how to fix that too!

• 2 months later...

Anyone get a successful install? What distro?

I have the acer 5534, pretty much the same thing, wasn't sure what to use. Not sure what to choose when you get to the install screen, as to audio, video, network, patches etc.

thanks