eSATA in Snow Leopard x64

13 posts in this topic

I have everything working in Snow Leopard, except eSATA. I can mount my USB drives, but not my eSATA drives. I have the AHCI kexts (I think) in /Extra/Extensions. Do I need a special kext or setting to enable eSATA? I am running the 64-bit kernel.

Can you create a sig so we can know your system is? For example, my 3 gigabyte systems can all use eSATA as long as I'm using the proper SATA controller.

I added my specs to my signature, if you need anymore info, just ask.

The problem is, that your eSATA port is provided through an extra controller and not natively through your chipset. (I'm not sure if this is the case, but normally it is)

So you need a special kext for this chip, witch should be one of JMicron.

To find out witch one is used on your motherboard, look on the homepage of Shuttle for the detailed specifications.

From: http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/sp35p2_pro_Spec.html

It says I have a JMicron JMB368 controller and a Intel ICH9R.

EDIT: So, I guess I need a 64-bit version of JMicronATA.kext

No, this JMicron chip provides only the IDE channel, but no eSATA ports.

I guess that your eSATA ports are directly connected to the southbridge, because your SB normally has 6 SATAII ports, but there are only 4 on your motherboard, so the other 2 are in the I/O shield.

This means that we/you are back at the very beginning. :)

If I'm right and the eSATA ports are directly connected to your southbridge + your internal ports work perfectly, everything should be ok, but as we no it's not...

I've no idea whats going on, sorry.

OS X does't support hot plug with my ich9,too

So my solution is an LSI SAS Controller card, which support eSATA hot plug pretty good!

The problem is that Leopard DID support HotPlug, and now Snow Leopard doesn't. Maybe I have some incorrect kext files? Which ones should I be using? Can someone upload them?

• 3 weeks later...

I did a little research, and I think the problem is with my DSDT.aml. I don't remember if I modified it for my SATA ports to work. Also, I replaced the IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext to fix the "Orange Icons". Do either that kext or my DSDT have anything to do with why my eSATA ports don't hot-swap?

P.S. Will this kext do anything?

I did a little research, and I think the problem is with my DSDT.aml. I don't remember if I modified it for my SATA ports to work. Also, I replaced the IOACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext to fix the "Orange Icons". Do either that kext or my DSDT have anything to do with why my eSATA ports don't hot-swap?

P.S. Will this kext do anything?

OACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext modifies ich port as "internal" device type to solve the icon problem.

The AppleLsiFusionmpt.kext ,which shipped with Apple recognize SATA/eSATA device as "External".

So the problem I think is device type.

Modify the device type in OACHIBlockStorageInjector.kext to "EXTERNAL". And I will try this these days.

• 3 years later...