Kernel Panic on prolonged Firefox use

Suzuka

10 posts in this topic

Not sure what exactly is causing it, Ill run verbose for a while to see if I can catch it, but I think that firefox is causing it. See sig for specs, running in 64-bit. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes well!

On Sys in Sig, both Leopard an Snow Leopard give me random kernel panics with firefox-bin. NO other browser i´ve tested (iCab, Camino, Safari 3+4) crashes ...

What i´ve done was to install the intel edition of firefox, and in 3.5 whipe out the UB´s via CleanmyMac, dunno if thats of interest.

Goron

CAught it, it was ntpd, is this happening to anyone else?

can you elaborate on this? I googled ntpd, and it's network time protocol... did you disable setting the system clock with it? or is there something in firefox that uses it?

i haven't had random KPs with firefox, just KPs when i open a bunch of tabs on digg. no other site i use does it...

Not sure whats going on exactly, but thats what my last kp said, if it matters, I have the system clock hidden from the menu bar, and I'm using iStat Menues clock. Heres what my console said after my last kp

10/28/09 5:03:27 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:03:44 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:24:09 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:48:34 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:48:43 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:49:00 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 5:49:20 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 6:57:16 PM [0x0-0x15015].org.mozilla.firefox[139] Debugger() was called!

10/28/09 7:54:37 PM ScreenSaverEngine[545] Error: The last image was not ready when it should have been

Not sure if the screensaver matters, but it was iTunes artwork (with iTunes 8). But it usually comes with it off. Ill keep booting in -v to see if I can catch it again

so you're still having kernel panics? even with ntpd turned off? i just got a completely random one, seemingly unrelated to firefox. Console makes no report of anything when the panic occurred, and i have nothing in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter. I cannot even begin to understand how i am to diagnose this problem, as it occurs so randomly.

ntpd isnt turned off, I just have it hidden from the menu bar. And I only assumed it was Firefox the was causing the kp, but I think Im wrong. Sorry Im so all over the place with this, I just have no idea what could be causing this. Ill get a photo of my next kp and post it, that might help.

ntpd isnt turned off, I just have it hidden from the menu bar. And I only assumed it was Firefox the was causing the kp, but I think Im wrong. Sorry Im so all over the place with this, I just have no idea what could be causing this. Ill get a photo of my next kp and post it, that might help.

well, i may have solved my KP woes (fingers crossed!). i was able to generate a KP by just opening up basically all my applications at once. KP would always ensue. i was tearing my hair out then i noticed that something had happened to my /Extra/Extensions.mkext... where it went i may never know. i wasn't aware i could even boot without it. nevertheless, i generated a new one in kext utility and now all seems to be well. or, i can't cause a KP, at least.

so you're still having kernel panics? even with ntpd turned off? i just got a completely random one, seemingly unrelated to firefox. Console makes no report of anything when the panic occurred, and i have nothing in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter. I cannot even begin to understand how i am to diagnose this problem, as it occurs so randomly.

I'm having the same issue with my SL install on a G31M-ES2L board - highly compatible. Random KPs, no log of it, system's not under load or doing anything in particular. Thinking of waiting for 10.6.2 and seeing what happens then...

• 1 month later...

I'm also getting KP's when using Firefox. I can load the machine up rending in After Effects, or use Photoshop all day, but I use Firefox for 10 minutes and it panics. Not always, but randomly.

What i´ve done was to install the intel edition of firefox, and in 3.5 whipe out the UB´s via CleanmyMac, dunno if thats of interest.

Can you explain what you mean by this? Is it working for you?