4870 and Snow Leopard with OpenCL Help

JypJyp

10 posts in this topic

I've recently got Snow Leopard running. It works with an ATi 4870 with 1920x1200 resolution, and hardware graphics. However, OpenCL does NOT work. The OpenCL benchmark freezes PC, iMovie Freezes PC, Magic Garageband Freezes PC. For a strange reason, I can't find anywhere a fix for this. Here are my specs:

Q9550 core 2 quad

Maximus 2 Formula

ATI Palit 4870 1gb DDR5

Im currently using Chameleon2 RC3 with PC EFI 10.4.1 . I keep hearing however, change the Dev-id, how do I do this? Any others experiencing the same thing, or people who have got OpenCL to work on 4870, please comment, any suggestions, post them up! Thank you :(

I've recently got Snow Leopard running. It works with an ATi 4870 with 1920x1200 resolution, and hardware graphics. However, OpenCL does NOT work. The OpenCL benchmark freezes PC, iMovie Freezes PC, Magic Garageband Freezes PC. For a strange reason, I can't find anywhere a fix for this. Here are my specs:

Q9550 core 2 quad

Maximus 2 Formula

ATI Palit 4870 1gb DDR5

Im currently using Chameleon2 RC3 with PC EFI 10.4.1 . I keep hearing however, change the Dev-id, how do I do this? Any others experiencing the same thing, or people who have got OpenCL to work on 4870, please comment, any suggestions, post them up! Thank you :(

I too am having problems with my 4870 setup.

I have an Asus EAH4870 dark knight 1G, using a Q6600 quad on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, 8GB ram.

I use EFI10.4 with graphicsEnabler key string set to Y. I found almost everything was fine. i ran a world of warcraft game at good a FPS. ran x20 benchmark on it. no crashes.

but the second DVI port doesn't work. i usually have this hooked to a DVI to VGA adaptor to drive a 1024X768 projector.

I see the video during boot but when the OS X stuff comes on i get nothing. Display prefs does not show anything on second port.

I have my 8800GT 512MB installed now and it works great. sleep, dual display, QE etc.

After i post this i will boot my ATI 4870 hard drive setup and check it with the programs you mentioned.

I'm curious if anyone has a fully 100% working setup using a 4870? (no crash and dual display) if so how do you do it??

I too am having problems with my 4870 setup.

I have an Asus EAH4870 dark knight 1G, using a Q6600 quad on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, 8GB ram.

I use EFI10.4 with graphicsEnabler key string set to Y. I found almost everything was fine. i ran a world of warcraft game at good a FPS. ran x20 benchmark on it. no crashes.

but the second DVI port doesn't work. i usually have this hooked to a DVI to VGA adaptor to drive a 1024X768 projector.

I see the video during boot but when the OS X stuff comes on i get nothing. Display prefs does not show anything on second port.

I have my 8800GT 512MB installed now and it works great. sleep, dual display, QE etc.

After i post this i will boot my ATI 4870 hard drive setup and check it with the programs you mentioned.

I'm curious if anyone has a fully 100% working setup using a 4870? (no crash and dual display) if so how do you do it??

Thank you so much for your reply :D. With your 4870, when you watched movies, were there lots of dots appearing on the screen? And at all did you experience graphics crashes? (like everything frozen except mouse, until reboot). Also, i forgot to add "graphicsEnabler key string set to Y". Where do I add this :( I've got hidden files and folders enabled. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your reply :D. With your 4870, when you watched movies, were there lots of dots appearing on the screen? And at all did you experience graphics crashes? (like everything frozen except mouse, until reboot). Also, i forgot to add "graphicsEnabler key string set to Y". Where do I add this :unsure: I've got hidden files and folders enabled. Thank you.

com.apple.boot.plist in my /extra folder.

here is the second half of that file.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

just edit using your favorite editor. i use Smultron free and works great.

<string>y</string>

is what you want to add to the file.

sorry for the delay, i will try those open CL benchmarks and other programs.

As far as the movies go... no there are no crashes. i just don't have two monitors at the same time. i guess i could set the resolution and swap cables. but i have just been using my 8800GT.

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

<string>y</string>

As far as the movies go... no there are no crashes. i just don't have two monitors at the same time. i guess i could set the resolution and swap cables. but i have just been using my 8800GT.

OK i ran garage band.... no problems. and i ran open CL tests, no problems.

i use efi 10.4.1 i think it is... chameleon 2 rc3 replace the boot file with efi from Netkas.

Let me know how it works out.

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

<string>y</string>

OK i ran garage band.... no problems. and i ran open CL tests, no problems.

i use efi 10.4.1 i think it is... chameleon 2 rc3 replace the boot file with efi from Netkas.

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks for reply. When you first installed Snow Leopard, did you install any other packages to make the ATI 4870. At the moment, it seems to "run" ok from install. just no OpenCL. Also, in "about this mac" and "more info", my "graphics/display" say "ATI Radeon HD 4890", while it actually is a 4870. Could this be the problem?

Quick Update. Just added the graphics enabler to com.apple.boot.plist. Still no success.

Thanks for reply. When you first installed Snow Leopard, did you install any other packages to make the ATI 4870. At the moment, it seems to "run" ok from install. just no OpenCL. Also, in "about this mac" and "more info", my "graphics/display" say "ATI Radeon HD 4890", while it actually is a 4870. Could this be the problem?

Quick Update. Just added the graphics enabler to com.apple.boot.plist. Still no success.

i booted the install dvd from a usb stick with boot132 on it, and installed to a blank HD.

then i added my bunch of kexts that i know work for my motherboard, and of course run the extra/extensions folder thru the kext utility to do its magic.

I also install the chameleon 2 rc 3 then replace the boot (attached) with the boot from efi 10.4. set the graphics Enabler to Y.

I guess i set my uuid or "Universal Unique Identifier" to the 3 places you are supposed to.

And then i boot to the new drive. ( i also have a 10.5 system on another HD).

in my system profiler i see my card as a 4870.

ATI Radeon 4870 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4870 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9440

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

i booted the install dvd from a usb stick with boot132 on it, and installed to a blank HD.

then i added my bunch of kexts that i know work for my motherboard, and of course run the extra/extensions folder thru the kext utility to do its magic.

I also install the chameleon 2 rc 3 then replace the boot (attached) with the boot from efi 10.4. set the graphics Enabler to Y.

I guess i set my uuid or "Universal Unique Identifier" to the 3 places you are supposed to.

ATI Radeon 4870 Series:

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Display Connector:

oh under pci cards i have :

ATI Radeon 4870 Series:

Name: ATY,Motmot

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043

Subsystem ID: 0x0306

Link Width: x8

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

link is only 8 because of my raid card on the other pcie slot.

did i edit some other kext file?...hmmmm perhaps a search for ATY,Motmot might help you.

boot.zip

ATI Radeon 4870 Series:

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Display Connector:

oh under pci cards i have :

ATI Radeon 4870 Series:

Name: ATY,Motmot

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043

Subsystem ID: 0x0306

Link Width: x8

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

link is only 8 because of my raid card on the other pcie slot.

did i edit some other kext file?...hmmmm perhaps a search for ATY,Motmot might help you.

It seems it worked for you... I'll search for ATY,Motmot. Also. What I didn't do was install through boot-132. I do have a legal disc, so I will try that method later. However, I'm not sure I've done this :

"I guess i set my uuid or "Universal Unique Identifier" to the 3 places you are supposed to"

Although, after installing, I did patch my DSDT with a program. One other thing, after a couple of minutes, my screen seems to artefact, any movies or pictures, the have small black dots on them. Any moving images and its the same, prescribe me :P.

It seems it worked for you... I'll search for ATY,Motmot. Also. What I didn't do was install through boot-132. I do have a legal disc, so I will try that method later. However, I'm not sure I've done this :

"I guess i set my uuid or "Universal Unique Identifier" to the 3 places you are supposed to"

Although, after installing, I did patch my DSDT with a program. One other thing, after a couple of minutes, my screen seems to artefact, any movies or pictures, the have small black dots on them. Any moving images and its the same, prescribe me :P.

Update, just downloaded a file for boot 132. It says "Add EFI strings and graphics mode to provided boot.plist". the boot plist looks like this:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-arch=1386 -x32</string>

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>INSERT EFI STRING HERE</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>INSERT GRAPHICS MODE HERE</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

What do i fill in in the "insert EFI string here" and "insert graphics mode here". Thank you

Although, after installing, I did patch my DSDT with a program. One other thing, after a couple of minutes, my screen seems to artefact, any movies or pictures, the have small black dots on them. Any moving images and its the same, prescribe me ;).

Update, just downloaded a file for boot 132. It says "Add EFI strings and graphics mode to provided boot.plist". the boot plist looks like this:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-arch=1386 -x32</string>

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>INSERT EFI STRING HERE</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>INSERT GRAPHICS MODE HERE</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

What do i fill in in the "insert EFI string here" and "insert graphics mode here". Thank you

i never got this card working with the string in boot.plist.

i had to use the EFI 10.4 and graphics = Y

Also i did use the retail SL disc, but to use it i boot the computer first with a 132 boot CD, once it loads i eject that CD and put in the retail disc to install snow leopard.

i tried using the installer file on the disc but had trouble with permissions.

The graphics mode is what ever you want the boot to use like 800x600x32 or 1024x768x32i n my case it is 1920x1200x32

here is my boot.plist:

<dict>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Bullet</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<string>y</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Use EVOenabler.kext. Everybody seems to be having problems. I've got a non-reference, 1 GB 4870 and it works with quartz extreme and opencl (Sapphire Toxic 1 GB it clocks to 790 if I remember correctly, I'm not sure if it does the same in SL). I installed the kext in an EFI partition and I use chameleon 2 RC3.

EVOenabler.kext.zip