Why is Mac Mail acting differently since update...

marco772

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

My Hackintosh was updated to Snow Leopard at the weekend and Mail now seems to behave slightly differently to before!

I use it to collect my Gmails on and, before, if mail was incoming then the activity bar would appear telling me how many mails it was downloading and these would appear in the inbox in the top left of the screen. End of.

Now, it still does this, but there is also a GMAIL folder in the Mailboxes sidebar (Under RSS) which then also downloads the mails, strangely it seems to do this twice. So, once the initial inbox download is done (let's say 2 mails), then it dowmloads 2 to the Gmail folder and then, seconds later, it downloads a different number to the gmail (which I assume includes the junk and spam mails, hence the higher number).

While this isn't really a problem, per se, it IS rather distracting and as it didn't do it before, I don;t see why it has to do it now! I don't actually recall there being a GMAIL folder there before at all, but it may have just been something I ignored. It certainly didn't download the mails more than once though!

Does any of this make sense to anyone? And, if so, is there a way to configure either Mail or Gmail so it only downloads the mail once and into the Mail inbox?

ALSO, the way I had it set up before, I could access my gmail online (say when on hols) or from my phone, but it would still all download into Mail when I got home. I don't know if it still will, but I would like to keep it this way ie. if I read my mail on my phone at work, I'd still like it to appear in my inbox when I get home.

I have Mail 4.1 and my gmail is set to IMAP as is Mail.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not the most technically adept Mac user as you can gather but would like it to be as it was before the update!

Many thanks

Mark

mac mail in snow leopard uses imap by default..

you need to change it to pop manually..

mail-prefrences-account-then remove the current account, add a new account with type pop

incoming mail server-pop.gmail.com

outgoing mail server-smtp.gmail.com

Hi,

My Hackintosh was updated to Snow Leopard at the weekend and Mail now seems to behave slightly differently to before!

I use it to collect my Gmails on and, before, if mail was incoming then the activity bar would appear telling me how many mails it was downloading and these would appear in the inbox in the top left of the screen. End of.

Now, it still does this, but there is also a GMAIL folder in the Mailboxes sidebar (Under RSS) which then also downloads the mails, strangely it seems to do this twice. So, once the initial inbox download is done (let's say 2 mails), then it dowmloads 2 to the Gmail folder and then, seconds later, it downloads a different number to the gmail (which I assume includes the junk and spam mails, hence the higher number).

While this isn't really a problem, per se, it IS rather distracting and as it didn't do it before, I don;t see why it has to do it now! I don't actually recall there being a GMAIL folder there before at all, but it may have just been something I ignored. It certainly didn't download the mails more than once though!

Does any of this make sense to anyone? And, if so, is there a way to configure either Mail or Gmail so it only downloads the mail once and into the Mail inbox?

ALSO, the way I had it set up before, I could access my gmail online (say when on hols) or from my phone, but it would still all download into Mail when I got home. I don't know if it still will, but I would like to keep it this way ie. if I read my mail on my phone at work, I'd still like it to appear in my inbox when I get home.

I have Mail 4.1 and my gmail is set to IMAP as is Mail.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not the most technically adept Mac user as you can gather but would like it to be as it was before the update!

Many thanks

Mark

mac mail in snow leopard uses imap by default..

you need to change it to pop manually..

mail-prefrences-account-then remove the current account, add a new account with type pop

incoming mail server-pop.gmail.com

outgoing mail server-smtp.gmail.com

Aha, so that will return it to the way it was then?

If I change it back to POP will I still be able to collect mails on my phone in the same way?

Actually, now I think about it, Gmail is set to IMAP in the online settings so I assumed that I already had it set to IMAP before the update. I must have unless the update would have changed the online settings?

Maybe it would be easier to leave it as it is. Not really sure of the benefits of IMPA but keep getting told it's better than POP.

ONE other little thing. I always used to have the newest mails show at the BOTTOM of the list. So I would scroll upwards in MAIL to look at older mails. I can click on Date Received in the Mail window to make this so, but every time it reopens it resets it to newest at the top. Is this just the mac being buggy (as it's not quite bona fide and all) or is there a setting I've missed?

Thanks

Mark