Sony Vaio VGN-A205 Kinda Working

tech04

8 posts in this topic

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the title is wrong. can a mod please change it? i can't seem to.

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A250.

i installed using the pre patched dvd found on tpb. good news is that it boots and rosetta is working great.

I installed xp on the 1st partition, then created another primary partition for osx. after installing OS X, darwin does a great job as a boot manager.

Stats:

1.6GHz Pentium M

ATI Radeon 9200 Mobility

1280x800x32 Display

Intel 82801DB Chipset?

anyways this is what's

Working:

Display @ 1024x768x32 Only

Rosetta (Using SSE2 Patch)

Keyboard/Touchpad

Firewire

USB 2.0

Ethernet

Not Working:

Intel Pro Wireless

Sound

Core Image & Quartz Extreme

Can't Get any resolution other than 1024x768

Says "No Kext Loaded" For Graphics

DVD Burning Unsupported

So, My Questions are;

1) Any Support For Mobility 9200?

2) Anyway to get sound working? *EDIT: Fixed Audio... Please Read Below Posts For Directions*

Sorry if these are posted anywhere on the forum. i'll be searching around and if i find an answer i'll edit my post. until then, can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

Sony Vaio VGN-T350p user here.

You are lucky and have an ATI card, so i'm not positive how similar your config is to mine... but for screen resolution, you might try enabling 'LCD Expansion' in your bios, if the setting is available. This is what allowed me to get my native res of 1280x768.

I guess I lucked out with cd burning though. CD/DVD are burning fine for me. Probably have different drives though.

As for sound, you might have to join the AppleAC97Audio.kext chuckwagon and try eidtin the Info.plist file with your vendor and device information. (These can be found by viewing the apple system profiler) My instructions are vague because I'm tired, but you did mention that you'll do some searching around the forum. The topic has been repeated so many times between here and win2osx.net, that you're bound to find something. Good luck.

Thanks For The Quick Reply. I have LCD Screen Expansion on, but i think all that does is stretch to fit the screen... it is full screen at 1024x768, but everything is "short and fat".

i just installed it, so i'm not sure about CD/DVD burning, but in System Profiler is says:

"Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)" so i guess that means it will work with programs like toast, but not disk utility?

Thanks for the tip on the audio, i'll have to check into that.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice that i had the last post...

Got Audio Working!!!

I followed The directions over on the Wiki. but they didn't work at first.

if you have this laptop or one similar DON'T edit the Area under <key>NVIDIA AC97 Audio</key>

instead look for <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

i added 0x00248086 and 0x248086 cause i wasn't sure which was the right one. and now audio works!!!

if someone didn't understand that. please relpy and i'll try to explain it better... sorry it's almost 2am and i'm tired...

now if i could get my mobility 9200 and some kind of Wifi to work i would be super happy!

I'm a little jealous to hear you got audio to work. I've only been able to get mine working to an extent. I'll try your advice after classes today.

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. The only think that really tanks is the fact that I must first boot into windows, then reboot into os x. It seems that the stupid chipset uses Dynamic Video Memory Technology. Basically, I don't have enough video ram allocated for os x until Windows allocates it for me. Upon rebooting, the video is still allocated***, allowing me to boot into os x with quartz extreme w/o a headache. If I don't do this sloppy trick first, the video glitches after before loading the login screen. Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to do this nonsense. I can't understand why they didn't just leave it all in the bios for the user to play with.

***--probably thanks to a bug of some sort as Intel says this feature knows when to allocate and deallocate memory from the system)

I'm a little jealous to hear you got audio to work. I've only been able to get mine working to an extent. I'll try your advice after classes today.

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. The only think that really tanks is the fact that I must first boot into windows, then reboot into os x.  It seems that the stupid chipset uses Dynamic Video Memory Technology.  Basically, I don't have enough video ram allocated for os x until Windows allocates it for me.  Upon rebooting, the video is still allocated***, allowing me to boot into os x with quartz extreme w/o a headache. If I don't do this sloppy trick first, the video glitches after before loading the login screen. Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to do this nonsense. I can't understand why they didn't just leave it all in the bios for the user to play with.

***--probably thanks to a bug of some sort as Intel says this feature knows when to allocate and deallocate memory from the system)

yeah but what card is this? A GMA integrated card or a ATI Radeon 9200 or?

• 3 weeks later...

I got a ATI mobility radeon 9200 on my compaq presario 1000. I can't get the full widescreen resolution of 1280x800. So if anybody somehow patches that or gets an appropriate driver for it, then PLEASE email me! As for an intel pro/wireless 2100 driver, I'll get one soon from someone who's also having much issues with his wireless card. I don't know how to mess around with drivers :rolleyes:.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I'm a moron, i just realized that you have an ATI card. My instructions for video clearly won't work lol. Sheesh. Sorry about that.

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. The only think that really tanks is the fact that I must first boot into windows, then reboot into os x. It seems that the stupid chipset uses Dynamic Video Memory Technology. Basically, I don't have enough video ram allocated for os x until Windows allocates it for me. Upon rebooting, the video is still allocated***, allowing me to boot into os x with quartz extreme w/o a headache. If I don't do this sloppy trick first, the video glitches after before loading the login screen. Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to do this nonsense. I can't understand why they didn't just leave it all in the bios for the user to play with.