Device Boot Problems on nForce3

3 posts in this topic

After getting Mac OS X 10.4.6 to run on my Laptop (Everything is working :D ) I decided to dual boot with windows xp on my desktop computer with a

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Chaintech ZNF3-150 ZENITH (nForce3 150)

Primary Master: PATA Hard drive (Containing Windows XP on first partition and Mac OSX on the second)

Primary Slave: DVD Burner

Secondary Master: PATA Hard Drive

Secondary Slave: None

and one SATA Drive for storage

I used Partition Magic to resize the Windows partition and then created a Unallocated Partition and then used Disc Utility on the MacOS Disc to format the Unallocated space so it can install itself on the harddrive

But even before I tried to boot from the Disc to use the Disc Utility to format the partition and install, I got the "Still Waiting for Root Device" Message. So I must of restarted my machine about 10 times before it can read the install disc. After it installs, I still get the Still Waiting for Root Device" Message when trying to boot from the hard drive. So I have to restart it about X number of times until it can read the hard drive. I tried every single solution option that the wiki gives me, that doesn't work. I tried putting the Hard Drive and DVD on the Secondary and it still doesn't work. Basically I tried every combination you can try and nothing. So I take it that it would be a problem with my nForce3 chipset. Does anyone have a solution that would get rid of the "Still Waiting for Root Device"

oh and the bootloader I'm using is the one that the disc uses. I didn't try Lilo. When I try Chain0 and modify my boot.ini and select the Mac OS Partition, It tells me the HAL is corrupt and to re-install windows.... any solution to that too?

Same here with a HP Pavillion dv8000.

If I boot inside WMWare all is working fine, if I try to boot from scratch I get the "Still Waiting for Root Device" message, no matter which parameters I set on boot (tried with rd=... or platform=... or -f or -x, almost everything...).

Any solution?

Thank you so much

Nevermind, I found out the problem to my "Still Waiting for Root Device". I was using a 80-conductor IDE Cable on a harddrive that didn't support it. I switched the harddrive with a newer one that does support it and it works perfectly