Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

HP XW4600 Geforce 9800 GT success with snow leopard retail

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys

This is my very first post on this forum and also my first Hackintosh build.

I got so much information from this site that I thought I should say thanks to everyone as I was a total newbie to this and share my experience back.

The story....

I tried the ideneb 10.5.7 first just to get a feel for things. This installed ok but it needed a few tweaks with kexts.

I then decided to jump in at the deep end and buy the Snow Leopard Retail Disk and use the chameleon-20-rc3-with-snow-leopard-and-large-disk-support, boot method. (big learning curve for me.....a few days later.....)

Everything installed great, firewire and usb all worked, but I needed to sort the graphics card, sound & network.

I got the graphics card going using a EFI string and everything seemed like it was working ok on the graphics side, but I had a few problems with software asking for Quartz Extreme. After a few days of trying to find out what was going on as everything looked like Quartz was enabled, I eventually removed the EFI string from the com.apple.Boot.plist and just replaced it with the following instead:-

That enabled everything on the Geforce 9800 GT and tada! no more software problems.

The onboard Sound:

I think this could have been sorted eventually but I had a Mac compatible USB audio interface which just worked straight away. So I use that.

The onboard Network:

I had a go but with no success, I read many articles and decided that the easiest thing to do was buy something that was compatible. I bought a Broadcom Dell PCI-E 1GB 5721 Network Card which amazingly just worked as soon as I plugged it in.

So far the system has been perfectly stable and is running Final Cut Studio 3 with Snow Leopard very well.

HP XW4600

Intel Q6600 Quad Core

8 GB Ram

BFG NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Tapco Link USB Audio Interface

Dell - Broadcom 5721 Network card