Hackintosh + Gaming PC Vol. 2

11 posts in this topic

Hallo there,

I have been thinking about my configuration for a while now and this is what I finally came up with:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz [overclocking…]
  • Board: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R [this board should be easy to get working, shouldn't it?]
  • RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2GB DDR3 6GB
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon 3650 512mb [just until nvidea releases the 300 series]
  • HDD: 320 GB Western Digital Caviar SATA as Boot Volume with 2 Partitions: Mac OSX + Windows 7
  • 1,5 TB Seagate Barracuda as Mac OSX Storage Volume
  • PSU: Corsair HX 650W ATX 2.2 (love the cable management)
  • Case: Powermac G5 Case (I already got that)

It would be great if you could tell me if that is a good choice in your opinion or if there is something I'd better change.

That is a lot of money to spend, but it's worth the money if I get it working (at least I hope so :wacko:).

Thanks a lot,

madd!n

1.) You're better off going nVidia over ATI for your current card. They just seem to work a lot better

2.) If you're building a gaming machine, you might want to pick a different, more powerful PSU, unless you never plan on SLIing under Windows

3.) The 300 series will have no support for OS X when it comes out, unless for some reason, they decide to do a simultaneous release, which hasn't happened yet

3.) The 300 series will have no support for OS X when it comes out, unless for some reason, they decide to do a simultaneous release, which hasn't happened yet

Well, the GeForce 3 came out for Macs a month or two before Windows... but, yeah, there's about as good of chance of it happening again as Sony and Apple merging and forming a new company called Snapple.

I agree on your other points.

I'm interested in your project because I'm also in the process creating gaming + hackintosh rig.. but much lower-end than yours. I'm planning to use i5 750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P, and GTX260.. Anyone succeed with this similiar setup?

1.) You're better off going nVidia over ATI for your current card. They just seem to work a lot better

Can you suggest a special one? It's not that easy to find a card that cheap (~35€) that is easy to get working...

2.) If you're building a gaming machine, you might want to pick a different, more powerful PSU, unless you never plan on SLIing under Windows

You're right, didnt think of that. I will pick the 850W version, that should be powerfull enough.

The 300 series will not have support for Mac OSX when it comes out, but it will also be damn expensive I think... So I will wait a little while until someone managed to write a kext and then pick up the cheaper card.

OR

I go for the Geforce 260 first, which is powerfull enough for the beginning but about 100€ more expensive. Therefore I would have to wait longer for the 300 series, but it is compatible right now and should be powerfull enough for some gaming.

If you think this is the better choice, is there a special one you would recommend? I have been thinking about the Zotac GeForce GTX 260 AMP² Card before I came up with the "buy a cheap card and wait for die 300series" idea.

Or what about the Palit/XpertVision GeForce GTX 260 ?

Damn its hard to decide…

Thanks a lot,

madd!n

Edit:

I'm interested in your project because I'm also in the process creating gaming + hackintosh rig.. but much lower-end than yours. I'm planning to use i5 750, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P, and GTX260.. Anyone succeed with this similiar setup?

Which GTX260 card did you choose?

Which GTX260 card did you choose?

I haven't decided yet, lol.. there's also a possibility of GTX275.. *sigh*. Unlike you, I will not upgrade to 300 series, at least not anytime soon.. so the more powerful the better for me.

My main concern is compatibility with hackintosh and also the 'ease' of installation, because I'm a noob.. so please don't make me use the terminal.. :(

There should be hackintosh guru write a guide/tutorial to make gaming + hackintosh rig from hardware choices and step-by-step installation.. I'm sure it will be very popular, hehe.. There is one in lifehacker.com but the spec is a little bit outdated.

I followed some of the input in the i5/i7 thread and built an i5 system for mac and gaming. I only put a GTS250 OC 512MB card in it, but that's sufficient for most stuff. With one HD, one optical drive... maxing out my GPU, CPU and 3.5GB of RAM, the system still only draws 220W. I haven't seen anyone running SLI in a hackintosh. Not saying it's not done and not possible, I just haven't seen it. Plus it adds a level of complexity I'd rather not deal with in a hack.

The HX-650 will be fine for that system. I'm currently running a q6600, 6 hard drives, 8gb ram and a 9800GX2 off my HX-620, they really are superb PSU's capable of handling all but the most demanding of systems. 

• 4 weeks later...

Although I was able to make everything fit in the case, it was a lot of hard work to make it look nice and smooth. At the moment I have got some problems with my PSU, so my machine is not working, but i will post some pictures when everything is completely finished and working perfect.