Snow Leopard Working on ASRock ConRoe945G-DVI (and others)

webplus

55 posts in this topic

Hi Detosx,

now I see that I didn't follow Netkas' instructions exactly. ("Updated sleepEnabler for 10.6.2 �" link, I binpatched the old one, so don’t ask for sources, I don’t have them, install(if you want) only AFTER updating.")

I updated with the new sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2 in EFI/Extra/Extensions. Later I removed this kext but that doesn't help.

So I know now what to try next. Fortunately I have a backup.

Thanks for responding. I almost gave it up.

If you're looking for a cheap audio interface take a look at this one

http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_easy_us...ac460052495fe23

or this one

http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_easy_fi...ac460052495fe23

What I can say at the moment is that these boxes are cheap, so you don't risk much, they are built like tanks and the drivers seem to work under Leopard and Snow Leopard. I couldn't test by ear yet as I cant just plug in the cables of my headphone or speakers, I have to solder an adapter first. If you need an input for the kind of mikes musicians use - forget it. There are 2 line inputs, 2 line outputs and a headphone output with volume control.

It's a phonic firefly 202 with a different label. The driver also is for phonic devices.

Good stuff. I use a Creative X-FI USB. Audiophiles slag off the quality but I would count myself as one of those and, on the whole, find it very decent. The effects filters are another matter but even then can be useful when the source material is of poor quality. No drivers needed, is detected out of the box, though if you have voodoohda installed, you sometimes have to select Creative in System Preferences/Sound, or just remove voodoohda. Also, it's not detected on boot in my present set up, so I have to unplug its USB and replug it. That doesn't bother me because it's on an extender lead; I can do that on the unit itself rather than grub around at the back of the computer.

I should amend what I said about deep sleep.

With Slices most recent IOTAFamily.kext it works perfectly but, after coming out of it, if you then try to reboot or shutdown, the computer never reboots/shuts down unless you do a hard reset, and then it is back to normal restart/shutdown. I hoped that EvOreboot.kext would solve that but no joy. Perhaps it works in 32bit, I don't know. If you are someone who only ever sleeps their computer, this won't matter, except when you come to install a combo update. These little things that test us!

A quick update, re using Snow in 64bit, as some people have been struggling to boot to desktop in 64bit and have had to use the -x32 command.

You need Slice / -DuNe- modified 32/54bit IOATAFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions and Netkas's IntelP11XATA.kext in your Extra/Extensions folder. Also, don't forget to rebuild Extensions.mket, which is made easy with Kext Utility tool.

The problem was in fact that I had the sleepenabler in /Extension/Extras during the 10.6.2 update. It's not the worst idea to read the update instructions before the update.
That's good to hear, pilsator.

I discovered there is an Apple store in Aberdeen, now. Oh, to have the real thing, how stunning they do look.

Sleep issues.

I found a cure for the can't Restart after sleep problem - OSXRestart.kext. I have it running from my EFI partition in Extra/Extensions. Make sure that you remove openhaltrestart.kext or EvOreboot.kext. Rebuild extensions.mkext.

I also found a cure for full auto sleep not working, though in this case I needed an application called PleaseSleep.

Hi

I have conroe 945g-dvi with 4gb of memory and nvidia 7600gt graphics. I can't even boot into the installation of snow leopard. I have tried every option like actual snow leopard dvd and restored to usb drive all boot cd's from 1.1 to 1.6 still no luck. I have even tried sata and ide cd drives along with removing 2gb of memory and nothing. It just gets stuck at apple logo or perfecto logo if I boot with boot cd 1.1. Any suggestions?

Thanks

****Edit I forgot I have pendium d so I can't do vanila install. However I got it working with patched kernel

Hey guys,

What version of Snow Leopard are you using to install? Just the standard retail version? Or a prefixed version? I got a version that was already patched and it worked but it had issues once inside and also tried to install it and then follow the second half of this guide to get the right kexts installed ect, but again - the system became messy and unstable. So really need to start the process from the beginning with the correct disk and this guide. What version are people using?

I currently have 10.5.8 installed on another HD which is all working brilliantly :-) (iPC OSX86 10.5.6 and then used ideneb updater with anv kernel set to default) PM me if you want help updating your system with 10.5 I got down to a "T"

Asrock Conroe 945-DVI

E4300 stock speed 1.8ghz clocked to 2.3ghz

2GB Ram

2x160GB Sata

Nvidia 9500GT

1X 500 External HD

• 2 weeks later...

REALTEK integrated NIC not working :)

Thanks for your guide, it works like a charm! FYI, I installed using a PATA DVD-ROM - no problems there.

The integrated Realtek RTL8111b ethernet interface works straight away, but it stops working some time after each boot, and faster with heavy network usage (browing www and transmission). A lot of people on this board seem to experience this (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5).

I had this problem on iDeneb 1.3 = OS X 10.5.5, but I found a RTL8xxx driver that worked (official Realtek for OS X v2.0.0 I think. I tried the same now but nothing works more than 5-10 min.

I tried all the different RTL1000.kext's I could find along with newest official Realtek driver (v2.0.3), but the all have the same issue.

Some have fixed this by adding "cpus=1" to kernel flags. But this didn't work for me.

Did none of you have this problem?

FYI: These are my BIOS settings.

• 1 month later...
A quick update, re using Snow in 64bit, as some people have been struggling to boot to desktop in 64bit and have had to use the -x32 command.

You need Slice / -DuNe- modified 32/54bit IOATAFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions and Netkas's IntelP11XATA.kext in your Extra/Extensions folder. Also, don't forget to rebuild Extensions.mket, which is made easy with Kext Utility tool.

That's good to hear, pilsator.

I discovered there is an Apple store in Aberdeen, now. Oh, to have the real thing, how stunning they do look.

Hi

Do you know where I can get those kexts? I tried searching but culdn't get anything. I tried booting in 64 bit mode and like you mentioned those two kexts are cause of kernel panic.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
I had everything working in 64bit with 10.6.1, including my Geforce 7300 with a string but 10.6.2 killed that, unless you reinstall the Geforce kexts and NV kexts from 10.6.0/10.6.1; it works fine with -x32 put in the boot plist. Sleep worked for me just once and then the computer wouldn't reboot, needed a hard shutdown. Sleep now only screen sleeps.

• 2 months later...

After updating to 10.6.3 I'm stuck at 1280x1024 and can't switch to the appropriate 1600x1200 (with the gma950). This used to work till 10.6.2 with the 2 graphic kexts recommended by webplus in the initial post. It reminds of post #19:

"I had 10.6.1 working fine in high resolution with the inbuilt 945G card. Now the 10.6.2 update screwed up my display, and I can only see 1024x768. What do I need to do to fix it again?"

Did anybody have the same problem and could solve it?

Perhaps the ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext only works with older gma950 kexts, so I would have to reinstall the gma950.pkg from 10.6.0 or 10.6.2?

Edit: reinstalling the gma 950 kexts from the 10.6.0 DVD didn't help.

Then I tried the method described here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210660

which is intended for gma 950 with another device id. Didn't work too, as expected. The machine boots with the new bootloader and edited dsdt.aml but still at 1280x1024.

• 2 months later...

There seems to be hope for us to get full resolution and QE/CI support with stock kexts. I found this in other insanelymac-threads and on the web:

I have GMA 0x2772 too, and I don't need any extra kexts because SL already has

Just modify your DSDT and it will works 100% Resolution+QE+CI

CODE

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

CODE

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)

Device (GFX0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x1A)

{

"device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x07)

{

"GMA950"

},

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x01

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

}

Demo: you can open DSDT.dsl to see where to put 2 blocks of code,

DO NOT USE MY DSDT IT MIGHT WORKS FOR YOU BUT THE SYSTEM IS NOT STABLE, CREATE YOUR OWN FOR YOUR MB SPECIFICATIONS

Using what I've learned from many OSx86 gurus, I will show you how to edit your DSDT.aml to allow your system to restart without clearing your CMOS. Other fixes are available for P55 boards as well- I have used the HDEF and USB fixes for my DSDT.

1. Open DSDTSE. You can download the application from here. This can be tricky- the application sometimes doesnt allow you to open it. Try opening it from a few different locations- I use my external drive.

2. Under Tools, choose Extract DSDT. The Editor will open with your DSDT.dsl all ready to edit.

3. Under ACPI search, type _WAK and click search. You should come to a line that looks like this:

4. Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized) First you must apply the code that allows hacks. Under DSDT hacks in the Main pane menu, select option 1: Method DTGP. Select all of the code at the top of the page. Copy/paste the entire block of code as shown into the editor directly before the _WAK line with a space in between at the beginning and end. Be sure to keep all spacing exactly as it was or the file will not compile and your hack may not work.

Actually its too hot in my room for extended DSDT editing sessions. We have a damn hot summer here. But I will try later. Maybe someone else feels like trying it?

Here is the DSDT.dsl mentioned above that shows where to insert the

Device (PEGP):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1510148

(Post #2)

Hi,

I have got ASRock Conroe945G-DVI under 10.6.4 almost everything working with retail install (in 32 bit kernel; 64 should work with VoodooHDA in place of AppleAzaliaAudio )

i have patched dsdt (from pilsator gma950, thank you) in order to get proper shutdown

Just sleep does not work ! and speedstep too which need editing dsdt

using Chameleon 2 RC4

i've got 7300GT graphic card (working only in 32 bit kernel under 10.6.4) and Apple Alu Keyboard, SATA hard disk (guid formatted), IDE drive.

the bios settings :

No-Execute Memory Protection Enabled

ACPI HPET Table Enabled

ATA/IDE Configuration Enhanced

Legacy USB Support Enabled

the Extensions.mkext :

EvOreboot.kext (just to get reboot)

fakesmc.kext

the S/L/E kexts to install with Kext Utility 2.4.2 :

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext (necessary for "bonjour")

all the stuff here ;

Extra_10.6.4_ASRock_ConRoe945G_DVI.zip

hi aliab,

I wonder how the dsdt could fix shutdown problems (never had them with this board). But if it can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, lets look at it as a miracle.

Sleep could be fixed with a kext discussed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

Just never forget to remove this kext from the extra folder before you update the system.

For speedstep there seems to be a new trick (that I haven't tried yet):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

hi aliab,

I wonder how the dsdt could fix shutdown problems (never had them with this board). But if it can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, lets look at it as a miracle.

Sleep could be fixed with a kext discussed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

Just never forget to remove this kext from the extra folder before you update the system.

For speedstep there seems to be a new trick (that I haven't tried yet):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

I never managed to get sleep working with this mobo and i have already tried SleepEnabler with no success

would you please give more informations about your formula?

this speedstep method sounds good !!

thank you very much for answering

My computer knowledge is limited, aliab, so it's always trial and error for me. When I started with hackintosh 3 or 4 years ago sleep didn't work. It did for the first time with a tiger distro with the option to install a vanilla kernel along with PC_EFI. Later I found out that video support and sleep ability had to do with an AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. You had to install a patched version or video would be crippled and sleep wouldn't work. (I think for NVidia or AMD graphic cards this kext is obsolete.) With the patched dsdt the stock kext is enabled.

Since later Leopard versions a sleepenabler.kext was needed.

If the dsdt had an effect on shutdown for your machine it might have an effect on sleep as well. So I would just try the sleepenabler again. I don't think that it will work but why not try it.

Looking at your extensions.mkext I think it lacks a disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

See http://netkas.org/?p=382

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also interested in speedstep, so I did a little research in the forum and found that voodoopowermini is generally considered the easiest way.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=1095.0

It works on our board under snow leopard as voodoomonitor reports.

voodoomonitor reports is wrong as long as values never change and stuck at the maximum

so waiting for the last improvements of chameleon RC5

here a new dsdt i hope it will fix sleep with 10.6.4

AsRock_945DVI_gma950_powermanagment_shutdown_sleep_dsdt.aml.zip

voodoomonitor reports is wrong as long as values never change and stuck at the maximum

so waiting for the last improvements of chameleon RC5

here a new dsdt i hope it will fix sleep with 10.6.4

AsRock_945DVI_gma950_powermanagment_shutdown_sleep_dsdt.aml.zip

Voodoopowermini definitely works on my board. CPU speed usually is at about 1,2 GHz and temps around 40 degrees Celsius if the CPU doesn't have to work hard. Maybe it's the BIOS version of your board?

Cool

i am with BIOS 1.90

please could you post your extra and S/L/E kexts and dsdt and bios particular settings and so on, you are using with 10.6.4 precisely

Thank you by advance

I already posted my boards BIOS settings here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4637&st=840

(Post #841)

I just enabled speedstep now.

Booter: AsereBLN 1.1.9. It encludes a restart fix, so you don't need a kept for that.

My patched dsdt.aml to enable stock GMA950 kexts.

In S/L/E: VoodooHDA and Voodoopowermini

Extra/Extensions: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, fakesmc.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, SleepEnabler.kext

Booting in 32 Bit. Machine will boot in 64 Bit but with crippled video.

I'm not sure, but if you don't disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext there might be a conflict with voodoopowermini.

I already posted my boards BIOS settings here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4637&st=840

(Post #841)

I just enabled speedstep now.

Booter: AsereBLN 1.1.9. It encludes a restart fix, so you don't need a kept for that.

My patched dsdt.aml to enable stock GMA950 kexts.

In S/L/E: VoodooHDA and Voodoopowermini

Extra/Extensions: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, fakesmc.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, SleepEnabler.kext

Booting in 32 Bit. Machine will boot in 64 Bit but with crippled video.

I'm not sure, but if you don't disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext there might be a conflict with voodoopowermini.

Thank you i'll give it a try

i think the booter AsereBLN 1.1.9 is the key

Thank you i'll give it a try

i think the booter AsereBLN 1.1.9 is the key

This bootloader has some nice features but sleep worked for me with other booters too. Good luck anyway. Concerning AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext I recommend either to enable it - with a complicated dsdt patch - then you don't need voodoopowermini - or to disable it. Otherwise you have 2 kexts dealing with powermanagement and perhaps fighting with each other.

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I followed this fantastic tutorial and got my Asrock conroe945g-DVI running Mac OS X 10.6 with a Nvidia 8400GS at full support but I am now stuck as how to upgrade the system. I would like to be able to go to at least 10.6.4 but the guide ends before this.

Can anybody point me to where I can find information on this?

Many Thanks,

Dan.