Strange crashing

Tewan

4 posts in this topic

Here lately I've been getting some strange crashes when messing around in Mac...

First time I was on a fresh install, only using the nForceLan.kext (installed with osx86tools) for LAN and AppleNForceATA chipset (selected from customize) on iPC 10.5.6 PPF 4. At the time, I was browsing the web; after I opened quite a few tabs, the screen would continue to work but my mouse, keyboard, and network stopped working (not sure what cores were at). [Vanilla Kernel, 10.5.6]

Second time was the same scenario as first.

This time, everything installed:

Other than this, everything is unchanged.

I started a copy from a samba FS from another computer (15gb or so), then started adding files to library in iTunes from a NTFS drive on a SATA controller (a good 4000 or so files, no copying involved though), then clicked the IRC window to start chatting, then bam. Core0 jumped to 100% and core1 stayed around 5%; keyboard and mouse froze, song in iTunes quit playing, network file transfer halted (unreachable host), but songs were still being added to the library.

What could be the cause of this? System specs below.

Motherboard:

EVGA 750i SLI FTW [Chipset: nForce]

LAN:

On-Board nForce

Processor:

Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz (SMBIOS detects 3.1GHz Unknown)

RAM:

4GB OCZ Reaper @ 800MHz

Hard-Drives:

1x SATA (On controller SATA A0, not used as Mac boot partition)

2x IDE (Primary is Mac boot partition, Secondary is Windows)

DVD Drive:

Completely not working on Mac OS X, so unplugged from SATA control

Sound Card:

USB Audio (Creative)

Creative Sound Blaster Live (Soon to be removed if causing errors, no drivers installed on Mac partition)

Video Card:

EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition [1GB]

EDIT: The nForceLan.kext I am using can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569

Update:

Turns out that it's file copying that causes this crash... can't find anything in the logs as to why it would be doing it. Anyone have an idea? I think I'll uninstall and reinstall Mac FUSE and NTFS-3g to see if it helps any.

Edit: I can easily reproduce the error by copying a larger (1gb+) file from a NTFS partition.

New update... problem is still occuring. Go figure.

This time it crashed on copying a lot of small files. All USB devices seized to work (and network, I think).

Still nothing in the log files, but this is what my CPU was doing at the time:

sysusage.jpg

I think the core usage is key to the thing that is wrong... but I don't know how I'd go about fixing that. Any advice? Please guys... :/

Update: !!! I think I fixed it :)

I decided the core usage may have been directly related to the problem so decided to Google for a bit... came across a mouse-lag thread regarding an AMD processor that happened to be fixed by a Voodoo kernel. I know AnV was slimmed down a bit, so I decided to try a different 9.8.0 kernel (Qoopz, found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179562). I booted, started copying a file, and boom! 25% usage on both cores instead of just one.

2.3gb file copied, no crash... ~500 small files copied, no crash. It is a LOT faster now too.

Edit: maybe not, but it's much more stable.