Kernel Panic on Boot MSI Eclipse SLi Motherboard

Bjorn248

76 posts in this topic

That's exactly what happened to me. Basically, this leopard installation only serves one purpose, to install snow leopard. Just run the x58 mobo patch installer with the retail dvd in your dvd drive, and you should be good to go :D. Make sure to reinstall the kexts from the patch installer after the OS installation portion is over.

So run the x58 mobo patch installer while i'm in the the mac osx? Have the snow leopard in the drive when I run it?

Edit:

Ok. I've run the patch installer but I keep getting an install failed message. First of all I had the leopard install on the SSD, but it did not let me install it on that same drive. I guess you have to install on a separate. So I tried installing on a separate but it gave me an install error about 80% of the way through.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? What options do I choose on the installer? I'm a little confused by all of this.

The first option is to select a drive. Do I select the drive I am going to install snow leopard on?

The second option says something about extra or EFI. Which do I use?

Is there any way you can run this again and record it on video or something. It would really help us slow people.

Ok.

I was getting the install failure because I was not choosing "Customize" and UNCHECKING “Printer Supportâ€, “Additional Fonts†and “Language Translationsâ€.

After installing the snow leopard I continued with the patch installer until I was done with the 7 steps. I rebooted into the Snow Leopard and it booted.

Once that was done I did this step:

Run the kext/kernel installer (#5) again. Now we have to make a few changes. We need to change the audio and graphic kext files to /System. To do this simply enter its number and then press Enter. Then we need to move the Misc Patches to /Extra. It works the same way. Type the number and press Enter. When you’re done the two audio kext files and one graphic kext file should be installed to /System while the four Misc Patches are installed to /Extra. Run the kext installer and update boot cache

I then ran the DSDT patcher and then rebooted.

This got everything to work except for the cores. It only recognizes 4 cores instead of 8.

Anyone know how to fix that?

So far that's the only issue I see. I'll update this post if I find anything else out of the ordinary. Once I'm done I will make a complete tutorial for the noobs who have this motherboard.

Edit: I tried to install the upgrade but it gave me a panic after rebooting. Did I miss something?

Sorry about being so vague and unclear about a lot of the steps in the installation process. Basically, the install always gave me an "installation failed" message, but it worked anyway. I believe I linked the thread to digital dreamer's X58 mobo patch installer (in my tut thread), and I didn't want to repeat what he said. Hopefully you can do a much more comprehensive tutorial. Check out my tut thread to make sure you are using the right kexts because otherwise you won't be able to update to 10.6.2 :).

Sorry about being so vague and unclear about a lot of the steps in the installation process. Basically, the install always gave me an "installation failed" message, but it worked anyway. I believe I linked the thread to digital dreamer's X58 mobo patch installer (in my tut thread), and I didn't want to repeat what he said. Hopefully you can do a much more comprehensive tutorial. Check out my tut thread to make sure you are using the right kexts because otherwise you won't be able to update to 10.6.2 :) .

The installation came out being successful. The only thing I'm not able to do is upgrade to 10.6.2, and I'm not able to get it to say 8 cores in the specifications. Is it still using the 8 cores, but not listing it as an 8 core?

As far as kexts are concerned can I just go to where the kexts are located and copy your kexts into that file? How do you install kexts and where do you get them from? Are you saying to install them through the x58 mobo patch installer?

What is S/L/E? is that System>Library>Extra?

Just trying to clear things up. Thanks for all your help.

Edit (for future reference): /System/Library/Extensions

The installation came out being successful. The only think I'm not able to do is upgrade to 10.6.2, and I'm not able to get it to say 8 cores in the specifications. Is it still using the 8 cores, but not listing it as an 8 core?

As far as kexts are concerned can I just go to where the kexts are located and copy your kexts into that file?

S/L/E is system>library>extensions

I recommend using fakesmc instead of dsmos (which is the default decryption kext that is used with the x58 patcher). Use kext helper b7 to install any kexts that you may need (fakesmc, VoodooHDA, etc). Not sure why it's only showing up as a 4 core. Do you have hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS? I have all 8 cores. With the right kexts you can upgrade to 10.6.2.

The installation came out being successful. The only thing I'm not able to do is upgrade to 10.6.2, and I'm not able to get it to say 8 cores in the specifications. Is it still using the 8 cores, but not listing it as an 8 core?

As far as kexts are concerned can I just go to where the kexts are located and copy your kexts into that file? How do you install kexts and where do you get them from? Are you saying to install them through the x58 mobo patch installer?

Edit (for future reference): /System/Library/Extensions

Ah hah...I just read your tutorial again and caught the part where you said to install the kexts using Kext helper. I'll try that when I get home tonight and let you know how it goes.

I think I can manage to do the rest if you can just answer one question. Where do I get kexts from? Will they be available through kext helper b7? do I have to download them? Or do they come with the mobo patch installer? If neither of those, can you send me a file with all of the kexts you used?

S/L/E is system>library>extensions

I recommend using fakesmc instead of dsmos (which is the default decryption kext that is used with the x58 patcher). Use kext helper b7 to install any kexts that you may need (fakesmc, VoodooHDA, etc). Not sure why it's only showing up as a 4 core. Do you have hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS? I have all 8 cores. With the right kexts you can upgrade to 10.6.2.

I do not have hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS. Do I need to? How do I do that?

I do not have hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS. Do I need to? How do I do that?

After looking at both S/L/E's (yours and mine) I've found that I have these and you do not:

• AppleHDA.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext.original
  • AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.duplicate
  • ATY_Init.kext
  • ATY_Init.kext.duplicate
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext.duplicate
  • JMicronATA.kext.original

I'm assuming that the ones ending with duplicate can be deleted? What about the others.

Yours has the following that I do not have:

• AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext
  • AppleMultitouchDriver.kext
  • ATI4500Controller.kext
  • ATI4600Controller.kext
  • AudioAUUC.kext
  • Intensity_Driver.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • RealtekR1000.kext
  • VaraAudio.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext

Should I install these?

Also, does my Extra folder have to have the same contents as yours does? What is the purpose of the Extra folder?

After looking at both S/L/E's (yours and mine) I've found that I have these and you do not:

• AppleHDA.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext.original
  • AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.duplicate
  • ATY_Init.kext
  • ATY_Init.kext.duplicate
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext.duplicate
  • JMicronATA.kext.original

I'm assuming that the ones ending with duplicate can be deleted? What about the others.

Yours has the following that I do not have:

• AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext
  • AppleMultitouchDriver.kext
  • ATI4500Controller.kext
  • ATI4600Controller.kext
  • AudioAUUC.kext
  • Intensity_Driver.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • RealtekR1000.kext
  • VaraAudio.kext
  • VoodooHDA.kext

Should I install these?

Also, does my Extra folder have to have the same contents as yours does? What is the purpose of the Extra folder?

If your OS boots, has sound working, and has ethernet working, then there's no problem. I had to install both RealtekR1000 and VoodooHDA to get sound and ethernet working, respectively. If you don't have an ATI graphics card, you don't need ATY_Init. The Intensity Driver is for my capture card so I know you don't need that. The only reason I removed certain kexts is because I figured if I don't need them, why have them. As far as where you can get the kexts, try just searching the forums...or google (that's what I did). Remember, to update to 10.6.2 without a kernel panic, you need to remove dsmos and sleepenabler and use fakesmc instead. I'm pretty sure you need NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, and PlatformUUID to boot, and if they aren't in your S/L/E directory, they are in your Extra directory. As far as I can tell, the Extra directory acts as a secondary location to load system kexts from upon boot (then again, I am not really familiar with how chameleon works, so don't quote me). Basically, if you have kexts in Extra, you don't need them in S/L/E and vice versa. Also, you DO NOT want the same kext in both locations, because it will try to load the same kext twice (I think) which results in a failed boot (once again...I think).

If your OS boots, has sound working, and has ethernet working, then there's no problem. I had to install both RealtekR1000 and VoodooHDA to get sound and ethernet working, respectively. If you don't have an ATI graphics card, you don't need ATY_Init. The Intensity Driver is for my capture card so I know you don't need that. The only reason I removed certain kexts is because I figured if I don't need them, why have them. As far as where you can get the kexts, try just searching the forums...or google (that's what I did). Remember, to update to 10.6.2 without a kernel panic, you need to remove dsmos and sleepenabler and use fakesmc instead. I'm pretty sure you need NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, and PlatformUUID to boot, and if they aren't in your S/L/E directory, they are in your Extra directory. As far as I can tell, the Extra directory acts as a secondary location to load system kexts from upon boot (then again, I am not really familiar with how chameleon works, so don't quote me). Basically, if you have kexts in Extra, you don't need them in S/L/E and vice versa. Also, you DO NOT want the same kext in both locations, because it will try to load the same kext twice (I think) which results in a failed boot (once again...I think).

I tried installing the update after installing fakesmc but it gave me a kernel panic. I'm going to try this time by also including NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, and PlatformUUID.

Am I correct in thinking that the update will be done via the normal system updater?

Delete them from extra or S/L/E.

Yes you update the system using system update.

I wish it was simpler than this. I've tried everything. I deleted those kexts and still KP's. I've tried osx86 tools to back up and then restore, but nothing.

EDIT: I did it!! There was a whole bunch of things I did through trial and error and finally got it to work with 10.6.2.

I don't have the following working though:

• graphics card
  • Audio card
  • It still says I have only 4 cores.
  • The About this mac info shows unknown for my processor.

I wish it was simpler than this. I've tried everything. I deleted those kexts and still KP's. I've tried osx86 tools to back up and then restore, but nothing.

EDIT: I did it!! There was a whole bunch of things I did through trial and error and finally got it to work with 10.6.2.

I don't have the following working though:

• graphics card
  • Audio card
  • It still says I have only 4 cores.
  • The About this mac info shows unknown for my processor.

You should install a Nvidia kext specific to your GPU to make it fully work. Do some research.

Same thing basically goes for sound, but try VoodooHDA, as that worked beautifully for me.

Technically it is a 4 core CPU, so there's nothing wrong with that. Try installing istat menu bars (or something like that) and see if that shows your CPU as four cores.

You have to manually modify the about this mac info via the X58 Mobo Patch installer. Digital Dreamer makes things quite easy. Just run the patcher on the SL install and you should be fine, Good Luck.

You should install a Nvidia kext specific to your GPU to make it fully work. Do some research.

Same thing basically goes for sound, but try VoodooHDA, as that worked beautifully for me.

Technically it is a 4 core CPU, so there's nothing wrong with that. Try installing istat menu bars (or something like that) and see if that shows your CPU as four cores.

You have to manually modify the about this mac info via the X58 Mobo Patch installer. Digital Dreamer makes things quite easy. Just run the patcher on the SL install and you should be fine, Good Luck.

Thank you. I had to start from scratch yesterday after installing a "Series 9 driver installer". I can't seem to get it back to where i had 10.6.2 running.

I have 10.6.1 running fine with sound, ethernet, and graphics card. I am just not sure if I'm doing what's necessary to install 10.6.2 correctly. I deleted sleepenabler from the mobo patch installer package so it does not get installed. I've also deleted dsmos so that will not get installed. Is there anything else I should delete?

btw...Happy Thanksgiving to all who view this thread!

Wow...finally got it back to 10.6.2!!

Here's what I did. (While it's still fresh in my head)

• I went back to my 10.5.7 Leopard (my 1TB) and partitioned my Snow Leopard HD (SDD) to start from scratch again.
  • I went into the x58 Mobo Patch installer package and deleted dsmos and sleepenabler so they would not be installed.
  • I ran the x58 Mobo Patch installer and did the following:
    • I always say no to the default Hardrive.
    • Selected my SDD drive where I want snow leopard.
    • Selected System Partition
    • Installed Chameleon v2.0 (#2)
    • Set Drive as active (#3)
    • Install Snow Leopard (#4). Make sure to go into customize and deselect everything except the main install, x11, and Rosetta/Quicktime (if you want those).
    • Once the install is done, go back to the patch installer, which should still be open, and hit any key.
    • Run the Kext Installer (#5) Just type in "n" and enter.
    • Update Boot Caches (#6)...just for good measure.
    • Reboot (*)

[*]Waited for it to reboot. (If you haven't set the bios to load the Snow Leopard HD then do that)

[*]Since I had it set to load my SSD it booted my snow leopard.

[*]Follow the onscreen instructions to set up Snow Leopard. This should give you a working 10.6 install.

Now this is what i did differently. Instead of going back to the x58 Mobo Patch installer and installing the kexts, I just hit the update button.

My system updated and rebooted to a working 10.6.2 install.

I HAVE NOT TRIED INSTALLING THE KEXTS YET THROUGH THE X58 MOBO PATCH INSTALLER. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES.

Fantastic!!! Congratulation!

I'm going to buy the DVD double layer to burn into the dmg of Snow Leopard Install (6,27GB). If I will have much time, sunday I'll install the Snow!

See you (dcuellar and Bjorn248) next week for a news about my and yours Snow Leopard OS.

PS: you get into the Snow Leopard with the flag "-x32" or you don't use any flag at the boot?

PS: at the end...what extra kexts have you install in the SL? And to update to the 10.6.2, what kexts have you install and/or delete?

I'm not having to use any boot flags.

As for the kexts, i did not install any kexts yet. I have to look at it later tonight. Currently i have everything except the graphics card and my optical output on my audio working.

If anyone can show me how to get my card working I would appreciate it. (nVidia 9800GTX+ 1GB GDDR3)

It's great that you finally have SL working. Also, are you sure you're not using any boot flags? Check the boot.plist under kernel flags...I'm pretty sure the X58 Patch installer puts -x32 in by default. Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck with your install =).

It's great that you finally have SL working. Also, are you sure you're not using any boot flags? Check the boot.plist under kernel flags...I'm pretty sure the X58 Patch installer puts -x32 in by default. Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck with your install =).

What I meant was that i am not having to manually put any bootflags.

I've finally got my video card to work!!

After installing 10.6.2 and updates (using my previous post's instructions) I had to replace the three NVDA .kexts with 10.6.1 versions. Can be found here and here.

Afterwards I installed the ATY_init.kext and rebooted. Perfect. That got my nVidia 9800GTX+ 1GB GDDR3 working! I'm using the ATY_init.kext for now until a better kext presents itself. I don't seem to be missing anything, but then again, I don't use this machine for gaming.

As for the audio, I installed the VoodooHDA.kext per Bjorn's suggestion and it worked after selecting the SPDIF Option under System Preferences>Sound>Output.

I don't, however, have the optical output working. Bjorn, does it work for you?

Sound just started to work from the optical output. I did not make any changes. Weird.

My set up is finally complete. Thanks Bjorn for all of your help! So far everything looks to be running great. The only thing I've noticed is that the video is noticeably laggy on Quicktime X...

Sound just started to work from the optical output. I did not make any changes. Weird.

My set up is finally complete. Thanks Bjorn for all of your help! So far everything looks to be running great. The only thing I've noticed is that the video is noticeably laggy on Quicktime X...

I haven't tried using optical audio out. As far as using quicktime X, try installing perian as it may be a codec issue for you. I haven't had any problems with laggy video, then again, I mostly use VLC (which i recommend).

I haven't tried using optical audio out. As far as using quicktime X, try installing perian as it may be a codec issue for you. I haven't had any problems with laggy video, then again, I mostly use VLC (which i recommend).

Yeah. I've always used VLC on Windows, but I like Quicktime. I installed perian and then downloaded and ran a movie with nice player (Activates the ability to read mkv files for quicktime). Now that I have all the drivers installed it's working 100%.

The optical audio is off and on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Could this be a hardware issue?

Yeah. I've always used VLC on Windows, but I like Quicktime. I installed perian and then downloaded and ran a movie with nice player (Activates the ability to read mkv files for quicktime). Now that I have all the drivers installed it's working 100%.

The optical audio is off and on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Could this be a hardware issue?

Honestly I have no experience with optical audio so I can't say if it's a hardware issue or driver issue. Glad to hear everything else is working though =).