Time Machine Problem

haihu

3 posts in this topic

*EDIT* Sorry! I realize I posted this on the wrong sub-forum. If someone could kindly delete this post for me. Apologies.

Hi all,

I'm having an odd problem with Time Machine backups. Currently I have a 50GB OS partition and 300GB Home partition. I'm trying to back them up using Time Machine to a separate hard drive with a 400GB of space.

TM runs fine the first time, backing up about 180GB of actual data. However, when it does a scheduled backup after that, it claims that there isn't enough space on my hard drive and that it needs an additional 230GB.

I looked at the TM drive and saw that it created another folder for my computer (PC, and PC2) instead of simply adding a new folder with changes into the PC folder. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I tried repairing permissions, cleaning cache, and rebooting, erasing my TM partition and backing everything up again -- all with the same results.

My current setup:

OS X 10.6.1 / vanilla install with Chameleon 2.0 RC3

Shutte XPC SG31G2

3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad

4GB 800MHz DDR2

Nvidia 8400 GS

2 SATA HDs

- 1) 50 GB OS partition and 300 GB Home partition

- 2) 400 GB Time Machine

Kexts installed:

NVEnabler

dsmos

IOATAFamily

IONetworkingFamily

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

Sleepenabler

VoodooHDA

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I am having the same issue... I am backing up roughly 220 gb of data, on a separate 1TB harddrive. With the same result. It just keeps starting over instead of adding.

Now I understand that this is probably minor issue for folks, but I think that it is part of a larger problem. Because for instance when i set my settings in screensaver... each time it creates a new file instead of reading the old plist file. I am not sure what is causing this. But I am hoping that with more eyes on this we maybe able to narrow it down.