[GUIDE] - Snow Leopard on GIGABYTE EP45-UD3R - Alternate Method

xRotorHead

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am using your method.

When I reach step 8, I reboot using F12, select the USB-HDD as my first boot device, press enter. Then the boot screen hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data......."

What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded the iso off a torrent, not from the retail DVD.

Same problem here - looks like the bootloader isnt installed. I can start snow just fine with the USB stick boot loader but thats a pain.. any ideas?

and oh - I bought the retail dvd ..

Make sure to follow step 11 in the original guide.

Step 11 is "Hopefully it boots into your new version of Snow Leopard. Go through all the normal initial setup screens. Then, go to your USB drive/SL Pack and agian run PC EFI 10.1, but this time make sure to install it to your newly installed Snow Leopard installation on the Snow HDD."

Made sure I did that - no luck.

repeated the whole install.. no luck :angel:

Help?

I have the UD3L pretty much the same chipset etc.. my problem is my ram, in my bios its showing up at 1066mhz but in SL, its only showing 800mhz, even in geekbench and xbench. any ideas? I have a feeling that it is running at 800 and no just showing 800 while driving at 1066. Another note, I have getting a kernal panic, where i have to reset the computer. Where do i find the log that shows what the panic was? much thanks

Step 11 is "Hopefully it boots into your new version of Snow Leopard. Go through all the normal initial setup screens. Then, go to your USB drive/SL Pack and agian run PC EFI 10.1, but this time make sure to install it to your newly installed Snow Leopard installation on the Snow HDD."

Made sure I did that - no luck.

repeated the whole install.. no luck :D

Help?

Solved it..needed to manually install chameleon 2 RC1

See readme in installer for instructions

essentially had to run the following three commands from the i386 directory

Normal Install (non-RAID):

--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great guide. To get ethernet working, I had to modify my DSDT.aml (from your SL Pack) to include GP9 in the "OperationRegion GP10" section. (When I did this, I also deleted a bunch of 32bit kexts from System/Library/Extensions left over from Leopard, but I doubt that got ethernet working). I did this using the guide in the other "SL Pack" provided b d00m42's guide - Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

After installation, I was having weird kernel panics, messages like "CPU 2 has no HPET assigned to it" and "need corner case for fictitious page." Was also getting KP's in IOATAFamily and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, if I remember correctly caused by warmd (which seems to just load things into the disk cache). I was booting off an eSATA drive (plugged into the yellow ports, no purple), and I have 6GB RAM, so I thought I'd try plugging the drive into an actual SATA port, and removing all but 2GB of RAM. This seemed to stop the KP's, along with disabling the "Advanced BIOS features" options described in d00m42's guide.