Can't get a multiboot screen. Please help me!

pyrvs

9 posts in this topic

Hi! I've been trying a long time to get a proper multiboot screen but I couldn't.

Can someone help me?

I can boot between PC and Mac only in a very slooow way. I also need to hang around whit 2 DVD's.

The only method I succesfully achieved is using Diskpart:

My primary disk is Vista. EVERYTHING is in there

I open CMD and enter Diskpart

I select disk (the only one), and then the Mac partition (the 18GB one)

I set it to active

I exit CMD and insert my iAtkos 10.5.2 DVD

After rebooting, the BIOS automatically detects the DVD and Darwin starts up

I don't touch it and OSX starts flawlessly

Now, if I want to return to Vista I need to insert Vista's Installation DVD and turn the computer off (I have to force it since it doesn't shut down properly)

I enter Repair>CMD>Diskpart

Select the only disk and Vista's partition, and I set it to active

As I list volumes I find that letters are mixed up (if i don't change them it won't start up)

select volume 0 (Recovery=C)

assign letter=f

select volume 1 (PC=D)

assign letter=c

select volume 1 (Recovery =F)

assign letter=d

Now I reboot and after 5 minutes I'm finally back on Vista

I've tried using BCDEdit, and I actually have a multiboot screen, but it's just decorative

If Vista's partition is active, and iAtkos DVD is not in, the multiboot menu pops up:

Windows -> it enters Windows

Mac OS -> it gives me a HFS error (I use a tboot for filepath)

Mac OS X -> it gives me the chain booting error (I use a chain0 for filepath)

If Vista's partition is active, and iAtkos DVD is in, it starts the instalation prompt, as if OS X wasn't installed

If Mac's partition is active, and the iAtkos DVD isn't in, i get a "NO OPERATING SYSTEM" error

If Mac's partition is active, and the iAtkos DVD is in, it enters OS X

Dell Inspiron 1520

iAtkos 2.0i Leopard 10.5.2

Mac partition - type=AF

May be the MBR restore is needed. Use the Windows install disk to do it.

how can I do that on Vista?

I've been reading in forums and I think there might be something wrong with Darwin Bootloader ;) , I think iAtkos has some problems with that.

Anyway thanks for the advice!

More help please!

Alright, this is insane now! :)

When I've finally managed to install Boot Think, my PC still works as if split in two. First I tried installing it in Vista (my primary partition) and I couldn't, it would autorepair in reboot. Then I tried installing it in Mac and it "worked". After rebooting I got the nice and clean Boot Think screen, but when I picked Windows it just went back to the same screen. When I picked Mac I got a nice and scary gray screen with text in four languages (I think you call that a kernel panic).

Mac keeps booting ok from the iAtkos DVD and I can keep switching from one system to another with diskpart, but pleeeeeeeeeeese someone help me, I think I must have the most annoying multibooting system in the world..

Doesn't chameleon handle windows? I haven't had an actual windows install for quite some time, but chameleon always worked great for me. I'd boot into OS X and install the latest Chameleon release, which I think is RC3. If it still doesn't boot things correctly, I'd back up your data and just do a fresh wipe/reinstall to get your partitions setup correctly.

Doesn't chameleon handle windows? I haven't had an actual windows install for quite some time, but chameleon always worked great for me. I'd boot into OS X and install the latest Chameleon release, which I think is RC3. If it still doesn't boot things correctly, I'd back up your data and just do a fresh wipe/reinstall to get your partitions setup correctly.

^_^:D Chameleon works flawlessly :D :D Thanks a lot!!!!!!

I've installed it from in my mac partition and now I choose to boot from every partition

Anyway does anybody know how to make chameleon choose Windows first?