SL on MSI Wind u210?

dnnguyen

11 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I have searched and searched and searched some more and I cannot even find a mere discussion on this topic.

I absolutely want to install OSX on this, I just bought it and will consider returning if it isn't an option.

We have to figure this out!

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I have searched and searched and searched some more and I cannot even find a mere discussion on this topic.

I absolutely want to install OSX on this, I just bought it and will consider returning if it isn't an option.

We have to figure this out!

Any help appreciated.

I've tried installing a few mac Os versions on my U210 (L335 x2 CPU). No success - when it comes to partitions selection menu - no disk is shown at all. In hardware list app nothing about hdd controller is shown.

Everything else is ok :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, have you been able to install Snow Leopard on this machine?

Thank you!!

I've tried installing a few mac Os versions on my U210 (L335 x2 CPU). No success - when it comes to partitions selection menu - no disk is shown at all. In hardware list app nothing about hdd controller is shown.

Everything else is ok :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you look at the specs for the U210 and U230, they are both AMD CPUs, GPUs, and supporting chipsets. The further you move away from Intel chipsets, the more work will be required to install OS X. If you look at the compatibility lists here and elsewhere, you'll find that's the case across both mobile and desktop motherboards. So if you keep AMD in mind and look for tools to help you install kernels and drivers that support the AMD chipsets then you're likely to make more progress than by using any of the tools for MSI's Intel Atom based systems.

• 4 months later...
Hi

Has anyone been able to install SL on a MSI Wind u210? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello,

and sorry for bumping an extremely old thread with a not-entirely-specific answer,

but I've been making a little progress in regards SL on a U210 :)

* Leopard (10.5.6) is working- with limited HW support. Trying to improve that...

* SL (10.6.2) installs, but panics on initial reboot- trouble with IOATAfamily it appears.

Some things you'll need:

Some guts ;) - not for the faint of heart

the BIOS has AHCI disabled by default. There is no option for it in the standard menu. Unless you can find an older (?) BIOS that supports extended user menus, you'll need to

* find a copy of your version of BIOS (or a newer one) - use google, or MSI

* patch it with a recent version of amibcp - to enable those pesky hidden menus

* reflash with your modded BIOS

* enable AHCI!

* disable watchdog!

then find a reasonably compatible OS X installer. I've had decent luck with

iPC 10.5.6 Universal.

During install, enable:

* Voodoo Kernel

* USB Keyboard (or mouse- either driver will support both devices, but you can't load both drivers)

Sound, WiFi are not recognized when enabled.

Enabling Ethernet seems to hang machine.

We're probably stuck with 1024x768 for now.

Power down, reboot work fine (except for during the install- last stage of install crashes for me every time)

Sleep, not so well.

No problems with USB storage devices

_____

I'll make a new thread, instead of continuing to bump this old-

Hopefully will have better success to report with SL soon.

Nope, nothing about ACHI.

(Seems like that it is always enabled)

Nope :)

its normally disabled.

To get the menu with AHCI as an option, you'll have to patch your BIOS and reflash.

Note: you may need to reinstall Windows 7, to get it to work on an AHCI-enabled system, if you have any interest in multi-booting.