Envy24 was improperly installed and cannot be used

iann07

2 posts in this topic

I have just installed iPC 10.5.6 onto my Pentium 4 system which is fitted with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card.

At the time of installation, I didn't install any audio drivers as I wasn't sure which one to install, it was later that I discovered that I should install the Envy24 drivers for my sound card.

So I installed the Envy24 drivers which were included in the iPC 10.5.6 install disc and finally had sound working.

The next time I booted into OS X, there was no sound, and no sound driver installed.

The next time I booted into OS X, I had sound again.

The next time I booted into OS X, I got an error message with the following:

System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/Envy24PCIAudioDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.

Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I then removed the drivers and downloaded the latest version from http://www.audio-evolution.com and installed them, (I'm not sure if these drivers are the same as the one included on the iPC 10.5.6 install disc).

The installation went OK, and I rebooted the system, but still get the error message when OS X loads up.

Can anyone help?

--------------------

EDIT: Got my sound card working again last night by following a thread by someone who had a similar problem with a different sound card.

The other user had problems with an AC97 kext file, so when entering the commands into Terminal, I just replaced their AC97 kext file with the Envy24 kext file as follows:

Open Terminal

Type each command then press enter

sudo -s

type your password

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Envy24PCIAudioDriver.kext

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/Envy24PCIAudioDriver.kext

reboot

I understand this is to fix the permissions, is this the same as going into Disk Utility and Repairing Permissions? (which I previously did, but couldn't get the sound card to install properly).

• 2 years later...

No, it's not the same. Disk Utility can only fix permissions on files that it already knows about.

You must set permissions and ownership yourself on manually installed kernel extensions.

If you used an installer, the installer is supposed to store somewhere what the correct permissions and ownership settings should be and Disk Utility can then use this information. If that didn't happen, then there is a bug and you should notify the developer of the EnvyHT driver.