Quick question about Chameleon and Boot 132

The Gonif

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I installed Leopard on my Abit IP35e about a year and a half ago... it worked great but then an update killed it and after a lot of struggling I sort of gave up on it. Now I'm getting the itch to try again.

Things have changed a bit in that time. I'm trying to catch up but I'm confused about Chameleon. It emulates EFI, right? And is it also a bootloader? Some of the install guides use both Boot 132 and Chameleon, but from what I read it seems like all you'd need is Chameleon. Can someone explain what these tools are used for?

I'm trying to get a pure vanilla installation going. Not sure if it's possible, but my mobo has a P35 / ICH9 chipset, which is identical to some of the Gigabytes, I think.

Thanks!

Boot123 and Chameleon are the two different things.

Boot123 is a CD that allows to install OS X on a PC from a retail Leopard Disk. Just like the real Mac. First you boot the Boot123 CD. It loads up all necessary stuff to memory (RAM), creating a pre-boot environment. Then you insert a retail OS X disk and make install.

Now to boot the new installed system, one will need a special extra called boot loader. Chameleon is that boot loader that let's boot the OS X. It also has many useful features like: boot manager to boot Windows or Linux, patching system without patching the system files and more.

I guess you got the idea...

Ah, now it is clear. I had figured they must be about the same thing, since you'd think that you'd need a boot loader + an EFI emulator for both booting to install DVD and booting into the installed OS, but I guess not.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this!