Installing 10.5.6 on Intel Core2 Quad Q6600

iamfriendly

5 posts in this topic

Hello! First time poster here, so please be gentle :)

I have been following the excellent guide from Testing Grounds and everything was going pretty well! I managed to get through to the 'customise install' part and got a bit stumped. I really am a complete noob when it comes to this, so any help is appreciated.

After install, I restarted and typed -f -v cpus=1 and then enter, and the matrix-style kexts were listed and then about half a page of white writing on a plain black screen. The last line, where it appears to have hung is:

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 clister IO buffer headers.

Above that the only thing I can see which might cause problems is

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style

the same error is releated for

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

I needed to chose the cpus=1 fix from the installer, and also selected the StageXNU Kernel, NVinject 1024 Video driver, Intel ICHx Sata Chipset, Patched USB and that's about it.

If anyone can suggest any changes to that install or anything really, I'd very much appreciate it. If I'm not giving enough information please tell me what it is I need to provide and how I can do so and I'll hapilly get it.

I'll quite hapilly put together a full report for my system once I get things working to help others in the future. Thank you very much in advance!

Also, I have done plenty of Googling and I notice that this is a common error, but none of the fixes seem to work for me! Such as the APCI etc.

I've tried different chipsets, also.

Sorry for being pretty damn rubbish ;)

Well, you need to select some more patches in customize section and deselect some of you've already selected.

My suggestion is not to install any VGA driver at this point. You may always setup it later. Install only the components that is vital to boot the system. Everything ells is optional and could be made later.

Additionally selectable patches:

voodoo kernal from kernels

remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment from alternative disablers

AppleSMBIOS-27 rev3 your memory speed or AppleSMBIOS MacPro from ApleSMBIOS patch

OSx86Tools from Applications

EFI studio from Applications

Pacifist from Applications

MKext tool from Applications

NTFS -3g+MacFUSE

Other things depends on your particular hardware. I suggest you try this minimum config. first.

OK, so I got passed that error, I thought I'd give the ACPI fix another go and this time it worked... odd.

Now I'm stuck as "Still waiting for root device" -- I've done a google and there appears to be several problems causing this. I also get "failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub" in yellow writing.

Also FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

I've now tried rd=diskx (where x = 0,1,2,3,4,5) without any joy, still get the same 'waiting for root device error).

Kinda befuddled!

Well, you need to select some more patches in customize section and deselect some of you've already selected.

My suggestion is not to install any VGA driver at this point. You may always setup it later. Install only the components that is vital to boot the system. Everything ells is optional and could be made later.

Additionally selectable patches:

voodoo kernal from kernels

remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment from alternative disablers

AppleSMBIOS-27 rev3 your memory speed or AppleSMBIOS MacPro from ApleSMBIOS patch

OSx86Tools from Applications

EFI studio from Applications

Pacifist from Applications

MKext tool from Applications

NTFS -3g+MacFUSE

Other things depends on your particular hardware. I suggest you try this minimum config. first.

Great, thanks for the reply, I shall give that go now and report back.

Unfortunately those options didn't work either. After doing some more extensive Googling, it definitely appears the problem is SATA-based. I was trying to install that on a partition of a Sata HD. So, I've now made another partition on a non-sata based drive and I'm trying it on there instead. Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately, that didn't work either - had exactly the same problem "Still waiting for root device" after the FireWire error.

Still trying, will keep reporting back...any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated...