sony vaio fw230j/h

z6635

15 posts in this topic

ok, so leopard is installed on an external hdd and booted with my sony vaio fw230j/h

kalyway 10.5.2

sound works, but out and in dont

sd card reader doesnt

mouse is a little strange

probably no sleep

wont shutdown...

no wifi

and its stuck at 1024x768

i can probably get the majority of this working

but i have two major questions

1)what wifi cards would work best for swapping out?

i have a 5100agn, i'm not even sure if i can swap tho..

2)is there any hope for the mobile intel 4 series express?

also the webcam worked when it asked me to choose a picture, but it doesnt anymore

and ideas? and for the audio out, will device manager tell me what hardware i'm using for that? i mainly just want to be able to use headphones, the mic doesnt matter for me

actually sorry, i meant is there any hope for a intel GMA 4500MHD kext?

the only things i care about working are the audio out, wifi, and fixing the resolution, and sleep

is there like a database for the kexts? to download them?

can anyone tell me if there are any wifi cards that i can replace my 5100agn for?

from what i can tell they all plug in the same, but the 5100 is just half size..

so, would it be possible to still use say a broadcom 3945 even though its twice as long?

it looks like i have the extra space for it, but it wont have a place to screw it down at..

I don't think I can help you with your other issues but the sound in/out ports could need to be "switched" to. Go to your System Preferences -> Sound and then under the Output tab it might show Internal Speakers AND Line Out / In Audio Out / In something to that effect. You should be able to switch to those to make those ports work.

Hope that works for your audio problem.

Also I know there are various kexts for SD Card readers, google around. You might be out of luck with your wireless but if you can replace it and are willing to do so get a Broadcom 43xx as they are completely compatible because they are used in actual Macbooks.

thank you, i'll try that and report back with my results

and the broadcom 43xx are a different type, and wont plug into mine

i think i found a wifi card to replace mine

Dell Wireless 1397

it looks like its working in msi winds, and it is the half size like the 5100agn..

as far as the resolution, i cant get it to load into another resolution with "graphics mode"="1234x123x12"

maybe it is because i'm trying to get my native resolution of 1600x900? anyone know if there is a cap or certain resolution i need to use?

i have the intel 4500mhd, i saw a thread before where they had been able to set the resolution higher..

the card isnt supported and most likely never will be, but id like to atleast be able to get rid of the stretching..

there isnt any way to swap for an x3100 is there?

No there is no way to swap for a x3100. See the x3100 is an integrated graphics chip and I think that the 4500mhd is to but don't quote me on that. Anyways so the x3100 is integrated meaning it is built right onto the motherboard so you can't swap the graphics chipset without swaping the entire motherboard out, something that is not a easy and usually not a possible task with laptops. You're out of luck with graphics, I'm sure you can fix the resolution but you will never have QE/CI / Hardware Acceleration if they do not come up with a 4500mhd driver.

ok, i wasnt sure if there was some way to have one resoldered to the board or something...

what will i expect to lose without QE/CI/HA?

obviously i wont be able to play games, but what about doing any kind of graphic design?(non 3d)

In theory anything strictly 2D will run at the very least decently, stay away from CS4 though, that uses the GPU for a lot of its tasks and will not run without QE. Basically with QE/CI/HA you lose the ability to do ANYTHING with 3D and any amount of good performance... yeah no games, thats for sure. I imagine CS3 will work decently, except maybe video editing / burning.