SL on ASUS P5K Pro [Success]

vlad birdu

27 posts in this topic

Hello

After some unsuccessful vanilla installs i decided to have my try with the russian distro (SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5) and what do you know... it worked almost perfectly.

My system specs are :

Mb : Asus P5K Pro

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67 Ghz

Ram : 4Gb

Video : Nvidia 8500 GT 256 Ram

Sound : M-audio Revo 5.1

Lan : D-link card (Rtl8139) (my onboard lan has a malfunction)

Guide when everything goes as planned :

1. Burn the iso with Disk Utility and boot it

2. Format you install Hdd with Disk utility ( I used Guid partition table)

3. Launch terminal and patch your DSDT :

cd /

sh MakeDSDT /Volumes/'your SL install volume name'

Close Terminal

4. Start the installation (by default the ps2 and IntelPIIXAta_Fix kexts are not selected so you can do that in the customize menu)

5. After the reboot (F8 to select your SL Hdd) you should have the SL welcome screen so the first step after you see your SL desktop is to go Application/Atools and repair your permissions with KextHelper else you'll have a KP soon.

6. After another reboot use The /Applications/ATools/_System/EFIStudio to add your video card in the Boot.plist and after another reboot you're kind of done.

My situation :

After installing at first booting the dvd got some problems with the ethernet driver and then some startup freezing after I used the Migration tool to transfer my Leopard user and settings.

So my final install took place from Leopard (much, much faster obviously) :

1. Mount your SnowOSX Universal distro

2. Format your install drive with Disk Utility (again I used GUID)

3. Open terminal and :

sudo

cd /Volumes/MacOSXInstall

sh MakeDSDT /Volumes/'your SL install volume name'

4. In finder go to /Volumes/MacOSXInstall/System/Installation/Packages/ and launch OSInstall.mpkg

Choose your SL install volume and in Customize choose the PS2 and IntelPIIXAta_Fix (not sure if this one is a must)

5. After the install is finished install in your Leopard the ATools_Snow.pkg and then after is finished go to /Applications/ATools/_System/ and install Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.pkg onto your SL install disk.

6. At this point you can insert your video string into Boot.plist or do that later from SL.

7. If like me you have rtl8139 netoworkcard and have problems with it delete the RTL8139Ethernet.kext inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext and put PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

8. reboot ( F8 to select the SL boot HDD) and once in SL use the KextHelper to repair permissions

Note : About this Mac reports "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" and that's not a big concern for me right now as the SL system performs flawlessly. In fact after a week of testing I erased Leopard and now SL is my main OS.

I'm not a OSX86 guru and have just normal Google skills but if you have questions I will try to answer as best I can.

Thank you and have fun.

Mate did u installed snow over a leo installation or from scratch? Cos i cant do the dsdt part as it says not enough space and volume read only.im doing this using installer from DVD after i prepared the disk journaled with disk utility.

Any advice would be great!

From scratch of course.

It seems like your destination disk is mounted in read only mode (I assume you're trying to install SL from a working Leopard).

Try to umount the drive with disk utily and then mount it again.

From scratch of course.

It seems like your destination disk is mounted in read only mode (I assume you're trying to install SL from a working Leopard).

Try to umount the drive with disk utily and then mount it again.

Okay i fixed the problem, still SL cant boot.

From another post ive grabbed an alternate mach kernel, now at least it boots in safe mode.

It doesnt boot in normal mode tho, it doesnt get a KP either.

it remains stuck ad "unable to unload dont_steal_mac_os_x" something like that.

I saw an a_tools directory with drivers: im supposed to do something post installation under safe mode?

It seems that your dmsos.kext isn't loading.

Did you repair permissions with the kext utility under the ATools folder ?

If you did that (from safe mode... where you can boot) and still have the problem try to replace your dmos.kext from /System/Lybrary/Extensions with the one under the ATools driver

Repair permissions at boot in single user mode. Use the -s switch at boot and then

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

type exit and see if it boots up

If that does not work use netkas dsmos for SL --> http://netkas.org/?p=126

and repeat the steps above.

Rememebr that after any kext install you must repair permissions.

I also installed SnowOSX on my motherboard the installation went successful but when I try to boot I get this error and my partition scheme was MBR by default. The image is attached and any analysis on this would be highly welcomed.

post-116894-1252419535_thumb.jpg

Booting from the DVD I end up with a blue screen (Intel 945GM).

My next try was:

- installing Leopard with iPC 10.5.6 (yes video works but mouse is lagging) in partition 1

- installing Snow with SnowOSX v3.5 in partition 2 from Leopard

- rebooting Snow does not work (Leo works)

Guess I have to update my boot loader?

I also installed SnowOSX on my motherboard the installation went successful but when I try to boot I get this error and my partition scheme was MBR by default. The image is attached and any analysis on this would be highly welcomed.

Try to boot in single user mode (-s ) and folow these steps

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

exit

Tell me if it boots up...

Booting from the DVD I end up with a blue screen (Intel 945GM).

My next try was:

- installing Leopard with iPC 10.5.6 (yes video works but mouse is lagging) in partition 1

- installing Snow with SnowOSX v3.5 in partition 2 from Leopard

- rebooting Snow does not work (Leo works)

Guess I have to update my boot loader?

Try to install the new Chameleon RC3. Search the forum for the installer package.

• 1 month later...

Hello,,

I've tried installing this SL in my PC with your guide. But after i rebooted i've got stack on grey screen without spinning wheel icon. Help me with this please.

My system specs are :

Mb : Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 Ghz

Video : HIS ATI 4870 ICEQ4

Lan : Realtek 889

Thanks before..

• 2 months later...
Hello,,

I've tried installing this SL in my PC with your guide. But after i rebooted i've got stack on grey screen without spinning wheel icon. Help me with this please.

My system specs are :

Mb : Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 Ghz

Video : HIS ATI 4870 ICEQ4

Lan : Realtek 889

Thanks before..

I am actually having this same issue. When I boot I enter into the -v verbose mode, receive no errors and then it goes onto a white screen. Eventually this screen gets some dots on it and then turns grey with dots on it. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am desperate. I am nearly willing to buy a below standard macmini because I am not able to run SL on my p5k-e board. I also have an nvidia 8800GT.

The problem is that with either 3.5 or 3.6 snowosx universal distro i cannot seem to boot into the installer. After the darwin loader i let it boot automatically and then when i get the boot logo it waits cca 2-3 mins with a crossed stop sign later as if the loader cannot boot from the disc.

I have a working 10.5.8 iatkos v7 install ATM, the HDD is on sata 1 channel and the CDROM is on SATA 3rd channel. When booting all the cables are unplugged except the power, so no other HDDs, no usb readers or bluetooth modules.... just the barebone vanilla system.

I tried also the psystar boot cd which is working and i get to install the system but then cannot load the new SL from the HD.

I am guessing there should be some bios settings since to everyone the 3.5 distro seems working on p5k boards.... I have AHCI enabled BTW.....

Help!

regards,

gvodop

Post ur full specs...

2.53 GHz Core2Duo E7200

2GB 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

SATA Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S:

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

Asus P5k-E Motherboard with JMicron SATA controller

SATA 500GB WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0:

HDD on sata 1

DVDRW on sata 3

no other usb and/or storage devices connected while booting

100% working 10.5.8. Iatkos V7 install at the moment. AHCI enabled.

What switches are suggested besides -v when booting in darwin boot loader?

What settings are suggested in BIOS?

I have set all the necessary BIOS settings as per guide.

I have a feeling that

a.) the boot loader is not detecting the jmicron contoller or the HDD/DVDRW device

b.) there are some non correct settings in bios and/or default switches in the 3.6 snow osx universal loader

Thanks to anyone wanting to help me.... It has been now from august 2009 that I feel frustrated, not to mention the scam that i have been trough with EFI-X :/

gvodop

You can install SL Retail, AHCI or IDE(through mod kext), doesn't matter. For SL x32 bit you'll need only modified fakesmc and HDA, the rest should be done by vanilla dsdt inject. Upload here your ioreg file from leopard(use IORegistryExplorer). BIOS settings can be as default, use the last bios, provided from asus off.site

• 2 weeks later...
gvodop

You can install SL Retail, AHCI or IDE(through mod kext), doesn't matter. For SL x32 bit you'll need only modified fakesmc and HDA, the rest should be done by vanilla dsdt inject. Upload here your ioreg file from leopard(use IORegistryExplorer). BIOS settings can be as default, use the last bios, provided from asus off.site

Cool. Ok. So please suppose that I am a total noob and have not had any prior experience besides installing iatkos v7.

1.) Why isn't snowuniversal 3.5 or 3.6 booting?

2.) I know that it s possible to install SL retail but I need some guidance. Can you please help me that route. I plan to rewrite the existing 10.5.8. install. (I know there exists a possibility to attach a separate sata disk to the existing leopard install and install SL on the new disk but I do not have that possibility because i have just one SATA disk)

3.) Can you give me help on how to get the ioreg file? The bios is latest for P5k-E official from ASUS.

4.) I even managed to boot and install the SL system throught psystar boot CD with this guide ( http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/ho...es-motherboard/ ) but than i could not boot from the installed SL disk :( I got stuck at step the reboot step 9.

5.) Forgot to mention that i have a macbook with SL on it and is working wonderfully. I could attempt with some help the install through this laptop to a sata HD but I would need a USB->sata adapter.... this seems also a possibility.

These guides seem so simple but when you are deep with your hands inside seem so frustrating because there so many things unexplained and so complex to figure out. Thank god there are still some kind souls in the insanelymac community :D

It is such a pain beacuse I am accustomed to using my LCD also for consoles and even If i bought the new 21" imac i could not use it with HDMI input...

bye!

Hey, gvodop

First I'll need your IOReg file, you can get the prog from here. I need this one, to get some info about your cpu and pci aswell and make all edits necesary. After that, you'll be able to install sl retail in simplest way, like on realmacs. About your questions we'll talk later...

Hey, gvodop

First I'll need your IOReg file, you can get the prog from here. I need this one, to get some info about your cpu and pci aswell and make all edits necesary. After that, you'll be able to install sl retail in simplest way, like on realmacs. About your questions we'll talk later...

wow ok. thanks :unsure: I have done the export of my settings. Hope that's ok.

gvodop___s_iMac.ioreg.zip

gvodop

Seems, that you use many of unneeded kexts. Replace Extra folder with mine provided, delete any voodoo, disablers , cpu injectors kexts from leo/extensions folder reboot and reupload ioreg again.

Note: ethernet and audio will not work, I'll code them later in dsdt.

Cool.This is for 10.5.8. ? Will my time machine work after i replace this? I need it because i am planing to do a complete migration from a timemachine backup. Where do i put the new extra folder?

Cool.This is for 10.5.8. ? Will my time machine work after i replace this? I need it because i am planing to do a complete migration from a timemachine backup. Where do i put the new extra folder?

Yes it's for leopard, but tm will not work, until I'll fix your dsdt, install also last version of chameleon. Extra should be placed in the root of leo HDD.

Yes it's for leopard, but tm will not work, until I'll fix your dsdt, install also last version of chameleon. Extra should be placed in the root of leo HDD.

ok. I tried tm now, i was sure it was working but i got an error

"The time machine could not be configured. The built in network interface could not be found."

I am not sure what happened but i kindly ask you to help me enable it again since without it i cannot try the upgrade. I tried also using the patched kext on this link but it is not working :(

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144738#

It was surely working a month ago...

Is this chameleon version ok?

hxxp://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20-rc4-is-out

hxxp://chameleon.osx86.hu/file_download/39/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz

gvodop

I think you didn't understand me. Read again my last post, TIME MACHINE will not work yet. You should reupload ioreg using Extra from provided archive. This is important, because psystar's disabler, block your real cpu performance values.

One question:

Your mobo is P5K-E or P5K-E/WIFI-AP or something else? Why ioreg shows me AttansicL1 ethernet, instead of Marvell88E8056?.

Use this chameleon:

Chameleon_2_RC5_pre8_R2.zip

gvodop

I think you didn't understand me. Read again my last post, TIME MACHINE will not work yet. You should reupload ioreg using Extra from provided archive. This is important, because psystar's disabler, block your real cpu performance values.

One question:

Your mobo is P5K-E or P5K-E/WIFI-AP or something else? Why ioreg shows me AttansicL1 ethernet, instead of Marvell88E8056?.

Use this chameleon:

Hi. I completely understand you. This is so frustrating. It is my 7th attempt(to install SL and completely fail) and I am tempted to quit it... I know that you said that TM will not work. I overwrote my IONetworkingFamily.kext and the patched is not working for neither for my wired not for the wireless airport.

I know you are trying to help me but i am such a noob. Can you help mw with some info on how to restore the wireless connection? I have a Linksys Wireless b/g card, model WMP54GS I think and it was normally detected OOB. Can i restore the IONetworkingFamily.kext from my iatkos v7 install DVD? will this work?

What is the correct procedure to restore it?

My mobo is p5k-e and without wifi-ap.