ASUS WL-138G V2 recognized as airport card but running slow

scenic

9 posts in this topic

Everything is working flawlessly on my iAtkos build, except for my wifi card. It was recognized out of the box as an airport card, no drivers or kexts to install, but the download speeds are extremely slow.

Anyone have any ideas why?

• 3 weeks later...

I just received mine today. Just like you, it so slow. It is detected natively. I think the problem is the card itself. Every OS I tried resulted to slow connection. However, the wireless detection is good .. usually I only get 4 bars in my router using my SMCWUSB-G wireless. But now it is 5 bars.

However, bars are not important to me if the connection is way slow. Normally, when I do a speedtest using my USB wireless, it results to 14MBps. When I installed the WL-138G v2, my results are around .4 to 1MBps. That is how slow it is.

In XP/Vista/7, I tried using newer, older drivers, 32/64 bit environment, you name it. It is just {censored}!

I don't know if other people who own this card has this problem.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone tell their story! I'm still in the 30-day return policy.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I had a Ralink 2500 card that worked great with 10.5.5 but not with 10.5.7, so I checked the OSX86 Wiki and it said that this Asus card worked. So, I ordered it on Newegg on Tuesday, got it yesterday, installed it, see the airport detection! AND THEN....slooooooooooooooooow. I searched the forums looking for an answer - not much out there. I even tried one suggestion that had to do with changing channels on the router. Nada.

Then, today, I've about had it. Then in Vista I notice it's running slow as well. Now this really chaps my ass. I'm about to replace it with my old Ralink card and say to hell with this, when I decide to try one last thing.... change the antenna. IT WORKED!

After changing the antenna I did a speedtest www.speedtest.net - and got 14 mbps download and .97 mbps upload. Now, I've never done one of these speed tests before, but when it struggled loading google, I can tell you this is lightyears faster. So, if you have an antenna lying around, give that a try.

I've only had it up and running for the past half hour, so if it craps out on me, I'll sign in on my girlfriend's computer and tell you to avoid it like the plague. Until then - try changing the antenna. Hope this helps.

Just got mine in yesterday. It works fine. I get D/L speeds as good as my Windows laptop.

I have this wireless installed on my EP45UD3R following the Lifehacker guide. My Snow Leopard recognizes the card as an airport card but I can't scan and see any networks. I can create networks but not scan and join networks. It works fine in Windows so I know its not a hardware defect...

Anyone know why this is happening in Snow Leopard? Is it a Lifehacker issue?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I spoke too soon.

The connections was fine for a while, but not it's slow. I ran speedtest against my Windows 7 lappy that's on the same wireless network and it got about 3 times faster speed (1.3mb/s vs 0.4 mb/s). I'm trying to figure out what cause the card to become slow. Would any one have any pointers?

Edit: Weirdest thing ever. I got to work, by messing with the antenna! I found another thread on these forums and a lot of users reported that touching/moving the antenna worked for them. So I spun the antenna around and pointed it in a different direction and my speed is back to 1.3 mb/s as opposed to 0.4 mb/s. Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
I have this wireless installed on my EP45UD3R following the Lifehacker guide. My Snow Leopard recognizes the card as an airport card but I can't scan and see any networks. I can create networks but not scan and join networks. It works fine in Windows so I know its not a hardware defect...

Anyone know why this is happening in Snow Leopard? Is it a Lifehacker issue?

Thanks!

im also having problems in snow leopard with this card and im on a EX58-UD5. using a different antenna helps with signal, but i can only get it to join networks in 64-bit mode with HPET enabled which is bizarre, but suggests it might be conflicting with some kexts that only work in 32-bit. some people have found that swapping it to a different pci slot makes it work (i cant as my gtx295 blocks the other pci slot ;) ) good luck!

even in windows its got such flakey driver support

• 2 weeks later...
Before I had a Ralink 2500 card that worked great with 10.5.5 but not with 10.5.7, so I checked the OSX86 Wiki and it said that this Asus card worked. So, I ordered it on Newegg on Tuesday, got it yesterday, installed it, see the airport detection! AND THEN....slooooooooooooooooow. I searched the forums looking for an answer - not much out there. I even tried one suggestion that had to do with changing channels on the router. Nada.

Then, today, I've about had it. Then in Vista I notice it's running slow as well. Now this really chaps my ass. I'm about to replace it with my old Ralink card and say to hell with this, when I decide to try one last thing.... change the antenna. IT WORKED!

After changing the antenna I did a speedtest www.speedtest.net - and got 14 mbps download and .97 mbps upload. Now, I've never done one of these speed tests before, but when it struggled loading google, I can tell you this is lightyears faster. So, if you have an antenna lying around, give that a try.

I've only had it up and running for the past half hour, so if it craps out on me, I'll sign in on my girlfriend's computer and tell you to avoid it like the plague. Until then - try changing the antenna. Hope this helps.

Hey everyone, I just changed the antenna also and it worked. ASUS is pretty lame for handing us such a crappy antenna. I changed it with one I had lying around and it bumped up the speed from 15-20 kbps to about 900 kbps (kilobyte) download mid download from the software update. Hope this helps...

EDIT* Agh, spoke too soon... it seems like it is very fickle so you have to adjust it very often. It is very annoying...

• 7 months later...

Hi all.

This is my resolution for the slow speed issue. I recently purchased this card and installed in on Snow Leopard and I can confirm it works straight OOB. It shows up as an Airport device perfectly.

I did however experience terrible speeds of around 4kbps. Personally, I don't believe the slow speeds have anything to do with drivers etc but more so, some antennas provided with network cards may provide a bad Earth signal.

The antenna to my understanding is connected via a negative signal with the physical network card inside the computer being the positive.

Solution? I removed the antenna.

Give it a try. As soon as I did, it took off for young and old. Some computer cases (such as my Antec) are known to provide the negative signal which essential acts as the antenna itself. Call me crazy? It worked wonders.

Alternatively, if this does not work for you, you can try and attach a piece of metal wire from the antenna to the body of the computer case to provide the Earth.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers