SUCCESS: Snow 10.6 on Gigabyte EP45-DS4P + Radeon 4890 / Mini Guide

vlad1966

1 post in this topic

First, I'd like to say that this is my 1st successful Vanilla install of OS X on my Hack.

Previously with 10.5 I've always had to use distros.

A BIG thank you goes out to Snow for his guide on helping me get 10.6 installed on my Hack. I mostly followed his guide to the letter in order to get this working. See his guide here:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-insta...ck-drive-t3705/

The key part I think in getting this to work is making the USB install "disc" in his guide. Also, making a good DSDT.aml file using this: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3ekqd5nlml5 and my Crappy Celeron PC made a big difference. I also used EFI Studio to help me add working audio/ethernet to my com.apple.Boot.plist. Also, a BIG thank you goes out to Netkas for EVOenabler.kext and QE_CI_Exotic_SL.pkg. Also, it helps ALOT having 6 HDDs in my Hack :D

The steps I used:

1 - Used EFI Studio to add a string into com.apple.Boot.plist for my audio and ethernet. Didn't even bother trying for my Radeon 4890 since this didn't work with 10.5.7 either.

2 - Used this guide http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3ekqd5nlml5 to create a good DSDT.aml, including audio/ethernet (no video) and also iaslMe to fix the BIOS reset bug for 10.6.

3 - Created USB "install disc" using Snow's guide linked above. Only kexts used in /E/E of the USB pen drive are: fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, SleepEnabler

4 - Booted from USB Instal disc with -v -x32 to start install. This would always give me kernel panics shortly after starting the install. I almost gave up.

5 - Decided to try to boot with -v -x64 just to see what happens. This worked. I was able to format one of my HDDs as GUID and installed 10.6 WITHOUT any other options selected (printer drivers, languages, etc.) .

6 - Booted into my backup of 10.5.7 install. Added Chameleon R2 431 to my new 10.6 install (SNOW).

7 - Booted into my everyday 10.5.7 install:

A - Deleted SNOW's boot file, replaced with the 10.1 boot file found in Snow's guide linked above.

B - Added my DSDT.aml into SNOW /

C - Deleted SNOWs Extensions.mkext (System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

D - Deleted SNOWs default Extensions.mkext in /E which gets installed during Chameleon install

E - Added following kexts to SNOWs /E/E: EVOenabler, fakesmc, HDAEnabler, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, SleepEnabler

F - Edited SNOW's com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, PlatformUUID.kxt to add SNOW's UUID

8 - Set my USB "Install Disc" in my BIOS as my boot disk. Chose my SNOW drive during Chameleon boot, with -v -x32. As soon as it finished booting into SNOW, I installed Kext Utility (which I'd previously put on my USB "Install Disc") and ran it to repair permissions and generate new Extensions.mkext.

9 - Rebooted, selected SNOW as my boot drive in my BIOS. When Chameleon started, I hit -v, then it quickly booted into SNOW :) (does this mean I'm booting with the 64-bit kernel?)

10 - Installed Netkas's QE_CI_Exotic_SL.pkg to get the system to recognize all 1GB of 4890's RAM. With EVOenabler only, it recognized only 256MB of RAM.

So, working ALC889A audio, Ethernet (which I was able to Manually set to 1000baseT full-duplex, something I could never do in my iAtkos 10.5.7 install) and Radeon 4890 1GB RAM with CI + QE

What doesn't work: Sleep. Restart & shutdown work great. I can live with it for now. Sleep most likely is broken because of the Vid Card, but I'm sure the Genius otherwise known as Netkas will solve this. I can put the Hack to sleep, but it wakes with red-tinged garbled graphics.

I've also used Super Duper 2.6.1 to try to clone this working SNOW install to another HDD, but there are problems getting it to boot. "SNOW2" is having a problem loading fakesmc & EVOenabler kexts. Need to work on this since I need to have a spare install of SNOW in reserve . . .

So far, not a single KP in about 2 hours of use, which include writing this. Safari feels lightning-fast, boot-up/shutdown are very quick (alot more than 10.5.7) and so far downloads from the internet seem faster. Hack feels very stable.

I'll report back once I start installing some programs, including games (cross your fingers people).

I'm attaching a copy of my com.apple.Boot.plist, DSDT.aml, and a picture of my setup if anyone should find these useful. Just my small way of giving back to the community that's helped me with my Hackintoshing :)

PS: almost forgot: my C2D E8500 which is OC'd to 4.16GHz is being reported by SP as 2.4GHz

post-112115-1252155807_thumb.jpg

BootPlist_DSDT.zip