OSX86 Installation Guide for Dell Inspiron 1720 - Near Perfect

62 posts in this topic

Dell Inspiron 1720

Ok, its took me ages to collect the relevant kexts etc for my Dell Inspiron 1720. I though i would make a post with all of them attached. Install your OSX86 first obviously. I have it working near perfect. See the files at the botton of the post.

Audio: Sigmatel 9502

To get stereo sound, line in, line out, auto switching and internal mic working download this zip.

Sigmatel 9205 Audio + Mic.zip

After unzipping you will see two folders, "Sound" and "Mic". First open "Sound". Simply drag Stac9205.txt file into AppleHDA Patcher v1.20. Here you'll meet some message in the box said that it was done. Put AppleHDA.kext file in System/Library/Extensions. It will ask you to authenticate with your user password, and overwrite the file. Its okay, just follow it and reboot the computer.

You should then notice you have sound. Next navigate to the files we unziped and open the Mic folder. Here you will find another AppleHDA.kext. Install this kext with your kext installer or overwrite the one in System/Library/Extensions and then reboot.

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x Ethernet Adapter

Usually this would work out of the box, however, if not Install this kext:

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

Reboot and it should work.

Keyboard and Mouse: Built in

To get the keyboard and mouse working with side scroll download "1720 bulit in Keyboard and Mouse.zip" and unzip.

1) Open terminal and run the following:

sudo -s

cd /Volumes/YOUR-HDD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

rm -Rf AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

cd /Volumes/YOUR-HDD/System/Library/Extensions

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext.orig

2) open OSX86Tools

3) Select Repair Permissions / Set Extensions permissions / Clear Extensions Cache and click "Run Selected Tasks"

4) Click "Install Kexts" install "VoodooPS2Controller.kext" from the unzipped file to your HDD

5) Reboot with "-f" (without the quotes)

If you are british and want the british keyboard layout download Microsoft Keyboard Layouts.dmg.zip.

Unzip and install the kext. After a reboot go to the system preferences and go to international, then select the tab "input menu" and then check the box against "british - microsoft". you may have to enable the menu bar icon and then enable it from the menu bar icon.

Wireless: Intel intel pro/wireless 3495 abg

Intel intel pro/wireless 3495abg doesn't work for me. there are currently no drivers. i strongly suggest buying a Dell wireless 1390 mini PCI express card for your laptop as it will work with OS X out of the box.

Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Moduel

From what i have read this should work out of the box but for me it is not. If someone could help me with this i would be greatful as i cannot find any kexts to make it work for me. the blue tooth icon on the menu bar is thre but has a little x on it. if i turn the bluetooth off with the switch on my laptop it turns into a wiggle dash through it.

I did however install this DellBluetoothHCI.kext and afer a reboot it worked perfectly but then after another reboot it will not work again. Please help!!

Sigmatel_9205_Audio___Mic.zip

DellBluetoothHCI.1.1a.zip

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.zip

1720_bulit_in_Keyboard_and_Mouse.zip

Microsoft_Keyboard_Layouts.dmg.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, thanks for the info. Please can you tell me what is yours laptop specs? Motherboard Chipset, processor and Video card on board? Thanks again and sorry for my bad english.

Dell Inspiron 1720 intel centrino

Dell Bluetooth 350 - works

Dell Wireless 1390 - works

intel chipset

nvidia 8600m gt 256mb

4gb ram

2.4ghz intel core 2 duo

sigmatel audio 9205 (doesn't work in snow leopard)

synamtec alps touchpad (works fully)

intel chipset

nvidia 8600m gt 256mb

4gb ram

2.4ghz intel core 2 duo

Thank You.

Your laptop is a very close clone of the MacBooKPro4,1... like you said: "Near Perfect". Maybe this can be interesting for you: ProjectOsx for smbios perfil. And this: Evosx86Team for native speedstep. :)

Hello,

Is there possible to do the wireless card work ? I have a dell inspiron 1720 and i'm using wifi all the time.

It's for me the most important drivers i need !

- I'm realy sorry for my bad english i'm just a young french student ! I put mac on my 2nd hard drive wednesday if i found a solution i'll tell you !

Hello,

Is there possible to do the wireless card work ? I have a dell inspiron 1720 and i'm using wifi all the time.

It's for me the most important drivers i need !

- I'm realy sorry for my bad english i'm just a young french student ! I put mac on my 2nd hard drive wednesday if i found a solution i'll tell you !

I bought a dell wireless 1390 pci express card for £7 from ebay. it works out of the box. the intel wireless card that comes in the 1720 doesnt work on mac.

What version of installer did you use? I have Kalyway 10.5.2 and it locks up almost immediately. Never gets to the Mac install screen.

Thanks

hi,

i have the same problem here.

got an inspiron 1720 with a intel core 2 duo t9300

the system crash just after the apple screen.

i've tried the following distribution with the following errors (booting with -v):

- ideneb 1.4 TSC: Reported FSB: 199.498337 Mhz, corrected FSB: 207.810 Mhz

TSC: Verification of clock speed failed. Fallback correction was performed. Please upgrade bootloader

- ideneb 1.5 TSC: Reported FSB: 199.498337 Mhz, corrected FSB: 207.810 Mhz

TSC: Verification of clock speed failed. Fallback correction was performed. Please upgrade bootloader

- ideneb 1.6 TSC: Reported FSB: 199.498337 Mhz, corrected FSB: 207.810 Mhz

- ipc 10.5.6 panic(cpu0 caller 0x00407075): "ACPI: AcpiOsFree"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernel/IOlib.cpp:724

Debugger called: <panic>

i'm downloading kalyway 10.5.2

does anyone know how to fix the problem?

intel chipset

nvidia 8600m gt 256mb

4gb ram

2.4ghz intel core 2 duo

how did you fix the 8600m drivers?

i'm stucked at 1024 x 768 and can't change resolution

What version of installer did you use? I have Kalyway 10.5.2 and it locks up almost immediately. Never gets to the Mac install screen.

Thanks

I'm using "Kalyway 10.5.2 Dvd Intel Amd". i think its the same. try burning it at a slow speed. i used 11kbps or sumin similar. it was the one above zero or sumin in magiciso. :jerry:

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost exact same system as OP.

2.5ghz core2duo, 8600GT, 965 chipset

I have been strugglinig tring to get OSX to install. Most often the DVD won't. With iAtKOS v5 if i use -cpus=2 it will boot, but never finish installing. Using the iPC disk 10.5.6 final, I have not gotten the dvd to boot. ACPI errors..I am going to try the IAtKOS v1.0i.

Hey OP if you have any advice. Let me know. thanks.. At least what boot parameters you are using..

I have almost exact same system as OP.

2.5ghz core2duo, 8600GT, 965 chipset

I have been strugglinig tring to get OSX to install. Most often the DVD won't. With iAtKOS v5 if i use -cpus=2 it will boot, but never finish installing. Using the iPC disk 10.5.6 final, I have not gotten the dvd to boot. ACPI errors..I am going to try the IAtKOS v1.0i.

Hey OP if you have any advice. Let me know. thanks.. At least what boot parameters you are using..

i have same system except 2.2ghz cpu. If you have inspiron 1720, try iatkos v5 with -x (-f and -v not necessary) or try iatkos v4i with nothing. I installed v5 to my inspiron 1720 without problem. If the same problem goes on, then update your bios. If you have inspiron 1720, you've choose one of the best laptop model for hackintosh, take care...

Hello,

I can't get restart, sleep or shutdown to work and I can't get DellBluetoothHCI to load. Also no audio...

Anyone with a Dell Inspiron laptop got these working?

I've got a two partition setup with Chameleon RC3 & SL on their own partitions.

Thanks!

i have same system except 2.2ghz cpu. If you have inspiron 1720, try iatkos v5 with -x (-f and -v not necessary) or try iatkos v4i with nothing. I installed v5 to my inspiron 1720 without problem. If the same problem goes on, then update your bios. If you have inspiron 1720, you've choose one of the best laptop model for hackintosh, take care...

Yes I remember when I purchased it a year ago , I knew it was close in Hardware to the MBP.

I got a successful install once, but it hung after reboot, (dark grey screen rainbow spinning mouse pointer).

Other wise it stops somewhere in install(usually past 50%) and say that it was unable to copy a file to hdd. "Install failed"

Do you think a possible problem is the HDD partition configuration

disk0

partition1: 100MB System Reserve

Part2: 250GB windows 7 install

part3: 45 that I am installing OSX on.

Disk1 :

part1 : ntfs format, windows data

I know that when I do a windows install I have to remove the 2nd drive, or I get a reboot loop after installing windows.

I will try without it.

The only version I was able to get installed was iAtkos V1.01i, with 1 HDD installed (2 resulted in reboot loop, after successful install). I had to use the -x flag.

I have the A09 Bios..

Now to learn how to update....

Is it possible to create an install disk that has all the patches and kext's that I need for my particular Hardware?

thx

if i were you, first i erase all the partitions with hirens bootcd or win dvd then install the win7(vista) on a primary partition, then use the diskpart command in cmd for create a primary mac partition(af) (how), install mac, activate the win partition with the hirens bootcd and get back to windows, in windows install the easybcd and configure it, then boot where ever you want. By the way i have A08 bios. Again, i used iatkos v4i and v5i without problem.

*Inspiron 1720*

my hdd partitions conf : 2 disks with mbr

post-25618-1256041594_thumb.jpg

my Iatkos 5i conf. (dont forget to set your sata mode to ahci from the bios before everything)

post-25618-1256044185_thumb.png

Thanks for the help and pictures.

I have been able to get 10.5.5 Atkos installed, but it will not boot completely.

I can only finish the install if the BIOS is in ATA mode. AHCI does not finish the installation regardless of Bios or Customization of the install.

I have to use the -x flag when running the installer, and when booting. I have been trying to use the NVinject Driver for my video card, but I am just getting a Black screen instead of the login screen.

I am still trying to get the right combination of settings..

Dell Inspiron 1720

Ok, its took me ages to collect the relevant kexts etc for my Dell Inspiron 1720. I though i would make a post with all of them attached. Install your OSX86 first obviously. I have it working near perfect. See the files at the botton of the post...

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 1720 too but i still have a lot of problems. I hope you can help me if yours is near perfect.

So:

1. I installed the SL from USB stick and the VGA card is perfect but i have a few important things what is not working:

a) Keyboard and trackpad

:( Network (both wireless and the normal network card)

c) Shutdown, restart and sleep is not ok

d) The webcamera quality is not really ok

2. And i didn't check but i'm not sure about the following: bluetooth, firewire, optical drive, sd card reader...but the 1. (a,b,c,d) is more important.

I would appreciate any kind of help. Kext files, guides or just some experience and story from anyone who has same or similar laptop (Inspiron 1720). Thanks.

My config is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz; RAM: 3GB 667MHz; VGA: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB; Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 355; Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g.

Hi all,

Please excuse me for being a complete noob, but I've been reading about this for some time now, and I'm about ready to attempt this on a Dell 1720. About all I am waiting on is a new HDD, as the 160 MB HDD that came with it is rather slow (not to mention full). I'm planning on setting up a dual boot enviornment, and I could use some help getting started.

1. I know there are many different distributions, but I really don't know which one is appropriate for this laptop. Will any of them work? Will some of them work, but others wont? I'd appreciate advice in selecting what I need.
  2. Obviously Snow Leopard is out now. From what I've seen (this may be incorrect), everyone says that you need to load Leopard first. Is this true?
  3. I have a old iMac G5 running Leopard that I can use to mount the DVDs and images. I am gathering that is one of the requirements.
  4. I do have the Leopard upgrade DVD, I'm planning on getting the Snow Leopard DVD for this install.
  5. My system specs:
    • Dell Inspiron 1720, Intel Core Duo T8300 2.4 GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    • 4 GB RAM
    • Intel Wireless Wifi link 4965AGN
    • Not sure of the audio card. It was the base audio available, and only shows up as High Definition Audio Device under Windows Device Manager.
    • Bluetooth, again, not sure which one.

Anyway, given this information, where should I start? What is the best way to partition the new HDD when it arrives for a OSX dual boot config? From the Windows install disc? From Leopard? Fdisk?Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hey all,

So after several weeks of scanning the forums, trial & error I have successfully got everything working with a few exceptions which I'm hoping one of you can help resolve.

I'm running 10.6.1 with 2 partitions (Chameleon, SnowLeopardHD).

I was hoping for a 100% vanilla install, but VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC & AppleBCM440XEthernet will only load from S/L/E. These are the only additions to S/L/E so basically all other kext's are untouched or vanilla.

Sound Sigmatel Stac9205 - works with voodooHDA.kext & pref pane.

SDHC - works with VoodooSDHC.kext

Network Broadcom

Ethernet - works with AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

Wireless - works out of the box

Battery meter - works with VoodooBattery.kext

Trackpad - If I want full functionality with side & bottom scroll then VoodooPS2Controller.kext works, however with this kext it breaks system and/or kernel logging in system profiler. If you don't want to view these logs then it's not a big deal.

Otherwise AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext & ApplePS2Controller.kext works without scrolling functionality but logging is enabled.

Graphics 8600M GT 256gb - works with graphics enabler=yes in com.appple.boot.plist and using PC EFI V10.5

I'm using the new qoopz SL kernel which enables sleep, restart & shutdown but that requires you to use Chameleon RC3 boot & only standard graphics detection. If you add any inject kexts then that breaks shutdown/restart & sleep.

SleepEnabler.kext & OpenHaltRestart.kext do not make any difference when you've enabled graphics.

Also they don't make a difference using the vanilla mach kernel.

Other kexts used in Chameleon/Extra/Extensions are;

Fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

So in a nutshell the last remaining issue is Video versus sleep, shutdown & restart. Can't get them to work together.

Please Help!