Just bought the Apple keyboard

joshier

6 posts in this topic

Hello

I bought the apple keyboard from apple couple days ago, I don't have osx (I'm using windows) however I have thought about it and thus have a question:

If I install OSX on my pc, would the keyboard work flawlessly as if I had an apple mac?

Thanks.

Hello

I bought the apple keyboard from apple couple days ago, I don't have osx (I'm using windows) however I have thought about it and thus have a question:

If I install OSX on my pc, would the keyboard work flawlessly as if I had an apple mac?

Thanks.

Yes, it will work just like it was on a Mac. I did this awhile back. The main difference is that the alt and ctrl are sort of reversed in Windows when you use the Mac keyboard. But it'll work fine in both, and the key mappings will be correct in OSX.

I liked the Mac keyboard for awhile - it was one of the ones with the white keys and the clear underside. Unfortunately, it only took a few months before the keys started sticking and starting to get hard to push. They keys got a polished shine only after a few weeks. Bad quality, in my opinion. I have an 8 year old generic keyboard I usually use and it still works great, and a 6 year old Dell keyboard that works just like it did when it was new.

no one can tell me?

Congrads!

I have an aluminium wired keyboard. Works perfectli in both systems as well in Linux. In Mac OS X works as it intended by Apple inc. :) - the same as the genuine Mac. I use it for about 9 months now. No problems at all. It is used daily mostly for professional work and occasional gaming. It is not so good for gaming IMHO. Keys are to close to each other.

My conclusion is perfect peace of design and usability.

Congrads!

I have an aluminium wired keyboard. Works perfectli in both systems as well in Linux. In Mac OS X works as it intended by Apple inc. :rolleyes: - the same as the genuine Mac. I use it for about 9 months now. No problems at all. It is used daily mostly for professional work and occasional gaming. It is not so good for gaming IMHO. Keys are to close to each other.

My conclusion is perfect peace of design and usability.

I personally still feel OSX is the best OS in the world. Linux hasn't been polished enough yet, windows vista and windows 7 has taken a lot of steps back in regards to usability in my opinion (been using it in work on and off).

I don't like the lock-ins apple do a lot of the time but I'm one for appreciating a high quality work environment and I done a lot of research for a keyboard and thought the apple one was the most pleasant.

I personally don't like clunky standard windows keyboards with high key travel. I like laptop keyboards and I purchased the alimunum apple keyboard and eagerly awaiting its arrival!

I may try OSX but not for a couple months as I will buy a new motherboard + processor (intel) as I notice it is better suited for it.

I would buy a macbook but they are still going for £700+ on eBay second hand, such a shame and I'm heavily put off by the tower set-ups because I can't upgrade it cheaply.

I personally still feel OSX is the best OS in the world. Linux hasn't been polished enough yet, windows vista and windows 7 has taken a lot of steps back in regards to usability in my opinion (been using it in work on and off).

I don't like the lock-ins apple do a lot of the time but I'm one for appreciating a high quality work environment and I done a lot of research for a keyboard and thought the apple one was the most pleasant.

I personally don't like clunky standard windows keyboards with high key travel. I like laptop keyboards and I purchased the alimunum apple keyboard and eagerly awaiting its arrival!

I may try OSX but not for a couple months as I will buy a new motherboard + processor (intel) as I notice it is better suited for it.

I would buy a macbook but they are still going for £700+ on eBay second hand, such a shame and I'm heavily put off by the tower set-ups because I can't upgrade it cheaply.

Hence the problem with Macs. They're expensive. If Apple had a mid-range offering for Desktops I might have considered buying one at some point but they don't. It's iMac or Mac Pro, and I'll never buy a computer with the LCD as part of the system. Monitors last a lot longer than the machine they're attached to so I want to be able to use that screen on other machines in the future.

I don't feel as though OSX is the best Operating System at all. It's RAM hungry, it's not as efficient as even Windows, and it has a whole lot of usability issues that I have a problem with. I've use Windows and OSX on the same machine plenty of times and OSX is usually slower at the same task. Not much, and certainly not enough to be a big problem but it's there. I also dislike the utility community around it - it's like going back to the early 90's when you couldn't get anything for free. Every little tool or utility is shareware. I mean, sorry, I'm not going to pay someone $20 to have a small feature that should be part of the system.

All that being said, I do enjoy using OSX, and it's a good system. There's some fun applications for it that I like playing with. But, what I've come to realize is that no matter what system I'm using - OSX, Windows, or Linux - I still use many of the same applications. Firefox, Office, e-mail. For every day use it really doesn't matter what system you're using.

And I hate the chicklet keyboards.