Installing iATKOS v7 on Gateway GT5628

cap737

1 post in this topic

As the topic states, I have been able to successfully install on my Gateway GT5628. Here are the current specs on my pc:

-Intel Q6600

-4 GB RAM (upgraded from 3gb)

-500GB SATA HDD (dual-boot with vista)

-1TB WD HDD (NTFS)

-Nvidia 8500GT 256mb

-Samsung SH-S223L SATA along with PATA burner that came with machine

Installation was kind of a hurdle at first because I had all onboard peripherals turned on and the BIOS had my drives running in raid instead of AHCI. Make sure that your SATA controller is running the drives in AHCI. If this messes up your vista partition then try using the auto repair on the vista DVD.

Use your SATA burner to boot off the install disk. **NOTE**Using the PATA burner will cause the Darwin loader to loop the "wait for root device" message no matter what flags you use in the boot loader.** Since I had all the peripherals turned on, the onboard firewire was giving me issues so I used the -V and -F options and got right into the installer.

I'm not going to go into much detail about setting up your hard drive since other members have posted those details so I'll move into the install options. The only things I selected were the Nvinject, ps2.pkg, ahci.pkg and a couple other intel chip related items. I learned later on that installing the Intel82566mm.pkg would get my intel 8256 NIC and firewire working so select that option if you have that card installed. I would also select the macfuse and NTFS-3g options so you could read the NTFS partitions that you have installed. Chameleon has been working good as a boot loader so if you need something good to boot between xp/vista and osx then choose this option, too.

The only issue I am having right now is that I can't restart my machine. I can shut it down but when I did my software update i only had the option to restart. If anyone can fix this please post any info you may have.

Oh yeah, when you update and you reboot (or force shutdown when updates are done) boot into single user mode and use /sbin/fsck -fy. This fixed my setup when it froze at the apple logo. If you can't boot off the DVD to fix the permissions then try this method.

I will edit this post as I figure out a smoother way to get this going. :guitar: Hope it helps you GT5628'ers! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to see what I did to get it all working!

-cap737