Preparing for SL

yelloguy

3 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 as my primary computer running Leopard and a partition of Vista (which I never use). These are installed on a single disk with MBR partition and NON-vanilla kernel (10.5.7). Now that Snow Leopard is coming, I was hoping to do a fresh install with vanilla kernel (for Apple updates) on a Guid partition and boot using Chameleon. I have a 1TB external HDD with a 500GB time machine backup partition and a 400GB FAT32 partition holding my data, applications and such.

I was wondering what my best and most painless strategy for the update would be. Can I build a disk (boot132?) with my current setup so when I wipe it out, I will not have to do all the hacks again. I remember having to install some audio and video drivers (NVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256 MB) after installing Leopard. If I could extract my hacks somehow, it would save me the trouble again.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 as my primary computer running Leopard and a partition of Vista (which I never use). These are installed on a single disk with MBR partition and NON-vanilla kernel (10.5.7). Now that Snow Leopard is coming, I was hoping to do a fresh install with vanilla kernel (for Apple updates) on a Guid partition and boot using Chameleon. I have a 1TB external HDD with a 500GB time machine backup partition and a 400GB FAT32 partition holding my data, applications and such.

I was wondering what my best and most painless strategy for the update would be. Can I build a disk (boot132?) with my current setup so when I wipe it out, I will not have to do all the hacks again. I remember having to install some audio and video drivers (NVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256 MB) after installing Leopard. If I could extract my hacks somehow, it would save me the trouble again.

Thanks in advance.

Use my guide in this subforum to enable your leopard to install snow leopard. Then do the single user mode extension.mkext commands and you have snow leopard on your other hard drive. Use that other hard drive to fix your old leopard drive to upgrade to SL.

Use my guide in this subforum to enable your leopard to install snow leopard. Then do the single user mode extension.mkext commands and you have snow leopard on your other hard drive. Use that other hard drive to fix your old leopard drive to upgrade to SL.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds good. I will read up more on it but the only thing that concerns me is that I will have to lose my time machine backup (on external), while playing with my existing install on the internal. In case things go wrong, I may lose both. It would be less risky (but more painful) to keep my backup aside, start from scratch on the internal drive, get everything working again and then import the time machine backup for all the apps and data.