HD 4650 got picked up? What?

Dominonin

15 posts in this topic

Wow. That looks interesting and very promising.

I have a 4670 (very similar to your 4650) and I have never seen something like that. I didn't see any mention of QE/CI (Quartz Extreme or Core Image). Do you know if they are working.

By the way, did you install any drivers or 'kext files'? The reason it shows up as a 4600 is that the 4650 is part of the 4600 family,and the hardware id of the graphics card determines that.

A couple more questions though, if you are happy to answer them.

1) What distro or install method did you use, and what version? (eg. iPC 10.5.6 or boot-132 with retail 10.5.6)

2) Are you running Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6)

3) Did you do this yourself, or did you use a guide. If a guide, could you post the link, and if yourself, could you give a brief explanation of how you did it.

4) Last question, I know, lots of questions! Can you change the screen resolution from within OSX to a non-standard one from the 'Control Panel'.

Sorry for all the questions, but this is _very_ interesting for me, as graphics driver support was the sole reason I switched back from OSX to Windows.

I understand that you might not have knowingly installed any drivers. If this is the case, let me know and I'll try to guide you through copying the drivers and posting them online. This could be useful for the OSX86 community as a whole.

EDITED: to fix typo of QE = Quartz Extreme, not Quartz Express as originally written

1) I used ideneb 10.5.8. lite, along with the atity ??? graphics driver kext... I think that's what it is.

2) As said before it is leopard 10.5.8

3) did it myself just selecting options for my hardware I guess.

4)well at that time I was on integrated hd 3200.. and uh.. I get a picture using the hd 4650 for like one second, then it flicks off when it loads to the desktop ;) ... have yet to actually get it to displayy.. but one interesting thing... it appears to not like dualmonitors... I think if I have one montor plugged into dvi i may be able to get it to work.

1) I used ideneb 10.5.8. lite, along with the atity ??? graphics driver kext... I think that's what it is.

2) As said before it is leopard 10.5.8

3) did it myself just selecting options for my hardware I guess.

4)well at that time I was on integrated hd 3200.. and uh.. I get a picture using the hd 4650 for like one second, then it flicks off when it loads to the desktop :) ... have yet to actually get it to displayy.. but one interesting thing... it appears to not like dualmonitors... I think if I have one montor plugged into dvi i may be able to get it to work.

Hi there,

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this might not be the big break we all need. The problem that us 4600 series users face is that there is no working framebuffer for our cards. (if you look at some of my previous posts, you can see my trials with Motmot and Kakapo on the 4670)

Not to try and put you off, but many people (including myself unfortunately) have tried to get these cards working, and we find that the monitor turns off when we get to the desktop, as the framebuffer is incompatible.

If you try with only 1 monitor though, we might get somewhere, as AFAIK there is no way we would get dual monitors going as early as this.

I don't have 10.5.8 iDeneb lite, so can't try this myself with exactly the same configuration as you. Do you by any chance have the file you used for the ati drivers, or a link to it so others can try this out too. I don't recognise the name atity as a driver, but realise you are not sure which one you used.

Other than that, all we can do is hope this gets somewhere positive, as I would love to have my 4670 working, as I am sure everyone else here would like.

can you try and experiment a bit more?

Perhaps I can get my dual 4550's working :)

FYI. 4550=4350 + better ram and higher clock

i have a 4350 and 4670. i will really be happy if either works. i have nt been using OSx for 6 mths.

would like to get back...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As i sit here, I see in system profiler... ATI Radeon HD 4600... It's close to 4650...I don't get how it worked? So... Here is a picture.. and uh.. I have a gigabyte MA78GM-US2H, going from integrated right now... but... How would it pick up the card?

Having The Same Problem Here...But With Kalyway 10.5.2 Updated To 10.5.8, On ATI Radeon HD 4650 1024MB But Natit.kext Read As 256 MB zzz... Quartz Extreme Not Supported!

Hi there,

Unfortunately I have a feeling that this might not be the big break we all need. The problem that us 4600 series users face is that there is no working framebuffer for our cards. (if you look at some of my previous posts, you can see my trials with Motmot and Kakapo on the 4670)

Not to try and put you off, but many people (including myself unfortunately) have tried to get these cards working, and we find that the monitor turns off when we get to the desktop, as the framebuffer is incompatible.

If you try with only 1 monitor though, we might get somewhere, as AFAIK there is no way we would get dual monitors going as early as this.

I don't have 10.5.8 iDeneb lite, so can't try this myself with exactly the same configuration as you. Do you by any chance have the file you used for the ati drivers, or a link to it so others can try this out too. I don't recognise the name atity as a driver, but realise you are not sure which one you used.

Other than that, all we can do is hope this gets somewhere positive, as I would love to have my 4670 working, as I am sure everyone else here would like.

Have you tried this using 10.6.2 because it loads a framebuffer here is kextstat showing com.apple.kext.ATIFramebuffer loaded kextstat.txt. I can bootup with my 4670 but all I get is a black screen. However I am able to VNC and SSH to my machine. I think it has to be possible to get these cards working. Check out the attachments from a 4670.

sp.txt

edit - Here is the hex dump and the corresponding plist for the card as well if it helps anybody.

4670_hex_plist.zip

Have you tried this using 10.6.2 because it loads a framebuffer here is kextstat showing com.apple.kext.ATIFramebuffer loaded kextstat.txt. I can bootup with my 4670 but all I get is a black screen. However I am able to VNC and SSH to my machine. I think it has to be possible to get these cards working. Check out the attachments from a 4670.

sp.txt

edit - Here is the hex dump and the corresponding plist for the card as well if it helps anybody.

4670_hex_plist.zip

I am looking at loading SL back on to my PC to try this. One thing though. I have 2xDVI outputs on my 4670, but two VGA monitors using DVI-VGA convertors. I'm not too fussed about getting both screens working, but I have heard that there can be problems with such adaptors.

Anyone out there have any experience of this?