How i got ATI Radeon HD 3850 To Work.

Spo0onMann

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

This is my guide to how to get the ATI 3850 to work on 10.5.5,

I haven't seen a single working tutorial, and today with a bit of playing about, i got it to work.

Here's the proof, With Quartz Extreme and Core Image working, and with Dual Monitors- one at 1680x1050 (20'' monitor- DVI) and another at 1024x768 (15'' monitor- VGA)

picture5xmi.png

First, download the combo update for your version of OSX which you can choose here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/ (eg: in my case thats 10.5.5, so i get the 10.5.5 update) NOTE: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE NON-OFFICAL UPDATES, YOU NEED THE OFFICIAL APPLE UPDATES FOR THIS TO WORK

Then, browse to System/Library/Extentions and delete all the ATI*.kext kexts

Next, once the combo update has finished downloading, download pacifist: http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir...ist.dmgPacifist

Once installed, open it up and click "Open Package" and browse to the combo update you downloaded from the apple website.

Now, a window similar to this one will open up

picture62.png

Browse to Contents of MacOSXUPdCombo10.5.5.pkg/System/Library/Extentions then select all the ATI kexts by clicking the first ATI kext and holding shift, select the last ATI kext

and it should look like this:

picture72p.png

Right click them, then click Install to Default Location.

This can take a couple of minutes...

Once that is done, download EFIStudio_EXTENDED (attached to this post)

Open it up, click Admin, type your password in, then select the partition Mac OS X is installed on, then click "Fix Extentions"

Now, check if you have Natit.kext in /System/Library/Extentions. If you do, remove it.

Then go to /System/Library/ and delete Extentions.mkext (On reboot, it should rebuild itself)

Now again, open EFIStudio, and generate an EFI by selecting Display from the dropdown menu, then selecting your Graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 3800_MEGADOLON -512MB) then click Add Device, then Write.

NOW REBOOT, AND WHEN IT BOOTS UP IT WILL HAVE A BLACK GARBLED UP SCREEN REBOOT, AND ON THE BOOT PROMPT PRESS F8 AND TYPE -X.

Then when its booted up in Safe Mode, open EFIStudio back up, and select Display from the dropdown menu and then select ATI Radeon HD 3850_TRIAKIS -512MB then click Add Device, then Write.

Then click Admin, type your password and fix extentions.

Then go to this link: http://osx86.radeonhd.eu/ and download the correct driver package for you

(ATI Radeon HD 3800 PCIE AMD 10.5.6 - 10.5.x for AMD users)

(ATI Radeon HD 3800 PCIE Intel 10.5.6 - 10.5.x for Intel users)

and install it.

then reboot....

AND EVERYTHING SHOULD BE WORKING

If it doesnt work, i dont know whats wrong, so boot with -x again, and go to /System/Library/Extentions/ and delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext, and reboot.

EFIStudio_EXTENDED.zip