Partition Magic messing up installation?

9 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I just recently found out about the OS X x86 initiative, and thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. I have an IBM T43 laptop / 1 GB RAM / 80GB HD.

So to make sure OS X would work I popped in the installation CD and WAM! The installation screens came up w/o any issues. So I went ahead and installed partition magic, created a new 15GB partition (primary NTFS or FAT32) and rebooted with the hopes of installing OS X flawlessly.

Low and behold, when I try to go through set up I get the following errors:

Can't Mount drive /dev/disk0s1 (Error Code: 0x00000047)

Can't Mount drive /dev/disk0s2 (Error Code: 0x00000047)

Before I made the partition I could see my HD in the disk utility, but now it just doesn't show up. Thoughts or help? PLEASE!

Thanks

Hi eleon33,

As explained in many install guides of the wiki, you have to set up a primary partition of FreeBSD type. Then you'll be able to format it in HFS+ journaled with the Disk Utility of the install DVD.

HTH,

edav.

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, I am to create a partition using the DISK tool once I pass the language selection screen. Unfortunately, I don't get to this page... it stalls on the blue screen w/ no mouse. However, I was able to reach the installation screen (post language selection) after I created a partition for the MAC OS install.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hmm... sorry but that's very confusing for me...

If I understand you correctly, I am to create a partition using the DISK tool once I pass the language selection screen
not create a partition but format HFS+ a partition you must create before, with Partition Magic or any other tool (I recommend Diskpart included in Windows)
Unfortunately, I don't get to this page... it stalls on the blue screen w/ no mouse. However, I was able to reach the installation screen (post language selection) after I created a partition for the MAC OS install
Are you stalled on the blue screen (which seems like you have a Intel GMA 900 graphics chip : plug an external display or if you don't have, shunt holes #6 and #12 of the VGA connector) or are you able to reach the installation screen?

edav.

Hi I hav a similar partition problem,

The disk loads beautifully (I loaded it just to test that I had a nice version) but whenever I try to create a partition it fails. I have tried both Partition magic AND Acronis disk drecor suite, they just cant partition the hd

can anyone give me a nice guide to using diskpart to create the appropriate partition thanx.

Hi I hav a similar partition problem,

The disk loads beautifully (I loaded it just to test that I had a nice version) but whenever I try to create a partition it fails. I have tried both Partition magic AND Acronis disk drecor suite, they just cant partition the hd

can anyone give me a nice guide to using diskpart to create the appropriate partition thanx.

Hi

DONT use Partition Manager or anything to do that. Please follow the steps to install the HOT ISO DVD properly... It actually works!

See, For your problem: Create using Partition Manager, a FAT32 file system (label it properly say MAC-INSTALL) (which must be Logical, NOT primary). Then, boot into the DVD directly, without VMWare, then, using the built in Partitioner in the installed (Disk Utility), select the FAT32 partition you just created, and then reformat to HFS+ with Journaling.

This should work :(

If you really want to know, and you are interested why you need to create a logical partition first, then install Mac, and then create a primary partition out of it (as per JaZISO install guide), please email me. I will explain to you ;)

Cheers

UPDATE:

I looked on some Acronis forums and it turns out this is a common(ish) problem but there is NO COMMON FIX!!!

ive seen some admin suggest installing the latest drivers but other than that no help.

These are a couple of the threads:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=129590

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132450

any ideas??

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone confirm that jumping 6 and 12 of the VGA connector will get past the blue screen problem on a T43 with the GMA900 video?

I plug in a monitor and it gets past the blue screen but then hangs on a black screen with a mouse cursor and a grey bar on the far right. It seems like its booted properly just no display.

Any help?

Thanks