System Preferences.app

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

I was using Xslimmer in Snow Leopard to get some more free space on my MacBook Pro. If you don't know what Xslimmer does, it removes the files of an app which makes it run on PowerPC computers (so obviously you are using an Intel machine). So when you install an app which is a Universal Binary (= for PowerPC & Intel), it removes the PowerPC-parts your Intel machine doesn't need and so you win some more free space. Lately, there was an updates which had something to do with the 32/64 bit architecture. I don't really remember what the change log said.

Anyways, so after the update I slimmed my apps and surprisingly the System Preferences.app was not blacklisted so it slimmed that as well. I don't know what it did but not my System Preferences.app can't go to 32-bit mode which means that I can't open any 3rd party Preference Panes except the very few ones which were made SL-compatible. Unfortunately I do not have any backups of this file and I am wondering where I can get the System Preferences.app from? I already searched the SL install disc (+hidden files/folders) and tried Pacifist (which does not work on 10.6) and Google won't help me.

I am actually not sure if the the System Preference.app is corrupt but I haven't seen any other users complain about Preference Panes not opening. So I guess that must be it.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Oh, and when I try to open a Preference Pane which wants to switch to 32-bit mode, System Preference.app just quits. I don't think I can request someone to upload their System Preference.app file but a PM would be nice ;)

Hey guys.

I was using Xslimmer in Snow Leopard to get some more free space on my MacBook Pro. If you don't know what Xslimmer does, it removes the files of an app which makes it run on PowerPC computers (so obviously you are using an Intel machine). So when you install an app which is a Universal Binary (= for PowerPC & Intel), it removes the PowerPC-parts your Intel machine doesn't need and so you win some more free space. Lately, there was an updates which had something to do with the 32/64 bit architecture. I don't really remember what the change log said.

Anyways, so after the update I slimmed my apps and surprisingly the System Preferences.app was not blacklisted so it slimmed that as well. I don't know what it did but not my System Preferences.app can't go to 32-bit mode which means that I can't open any 3rd party Preference Panes except the very few ones which were made SL-compatible. Unfortunately I do not have any backups of this file and I am wondering where I can get the System Preferences.app from? I already searched the SL install disc (+hidden files/folders) and tried Pacifist (which does not work on 10.6) and Google won't help me.

I am actually not sure if the the System Preference.app is corrupt but I haven't seen any other users complain about Preference Panes not opening. So I guess that must be it.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Oh, and when I try to open a Preference Pane which wants to switch to 32-bit mode, System Preference.app just quits. I don't think I can request someone to upload their System Preference.app file but a PM would be nice :)

This may not be the easiest way to solve it, but it should work and is a LEGAL method. You can install SL onto another partitiion drive, etc... copy the one file off that you need. (PLEASE NOTE: If you copy the file from a family or friend, then this method may not be legit.)

hmm yeah but it is a pain to format my external hard drive (again) and install it on there to get a file which is maybe 1mb big and then reformat my hard drive and copy my old files on there. I'm not quite sure..if theres no other method then I guess Im gonna do it that way. Or I can just wait for the final version of SL and then just start from scratch...

Thanks though :D

• 1 month later...