osx86 fails to boot after upgrade to 4gb ram

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've just upgraded from 2gb to 4gb ram, everything is fine in the bios etc and will boot into Vista no problem.

However when I try to boot into my Leopard installation it gets to the white screen with the apple logo in the middle and then stops and does nothing.

I tried using the -v command to boot and basically it just starts MAC framework and then stops.

Anyone had this problem before or know what could be causing it?

Thanks

Probably not but... in "About This Mac" it identifies my system as an iMac which I assume would only have 2 dimm slots on the board. It wouldn't be an issue with using more than 2 dimm slots causing this would it?

On a side note is there anyway to change what machine the Mac is identified as or to change it saying the memory is running at 800mhz instead of 667mhz?

Ok well after hours of searching I managed to fix it.

Not sure which thing did it yet but I used the "himemory_mode-0" command at the bootloader which enables more memory to be used apparently.

I also installed a different AHCI kext and removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext at the same time but don't know if they made any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Goymer! :whistle:

I'm sorry to reply without clear solution about this problem.

Actually, I'm stuched this same problem for a long time and searching a solution.

If you agree with me, it is far better that you and i compare our H/Ws or S/Ws to get the problem solved.

Below is my H/W specs.(LAPTOP)

CPU : Intel T8300

RAM : DDR2 PC3200 2G*2 = 4G

M/B : PM965+ICH8(82801H)

Video : Geforce 8400M 128MB

Sound : Realtek (onBoard)

HDD : WD 500GB, WD5000BEVT

My tries.

1. Kalyway 10.5.2 -> well installed and run

2. boot-132 + retail 10.5.6 -> IOAPIC : failed, Version 0x20 vectors 64:87

3. Boot with external HDD(OS: Kalyway 10.5.2), then install retail 10.5.6 to the internal HDD after installation, I also installed chamelon 2.0 RC2 640 : failed, Version 0x20 vectors 64:87

4. same process with #3 but i used boottink: failed, Version 0x20 vectors 64:87

Question.

Have you tried to pull out you RAM Module and use it just 2 giga bytes? your original problem is that you can't boot after you installed another ram module.

Reply me pls~~ thanks.

Hello Pinebanana, thanks for replying.

My H/W specs are:

CPU : Intel E6750

RAM : DDR2 PC6400 1G*4 = 4G (2 x Geil, 2 x Corsair)

M/B : Asus P5Kc (P35) J micron & ICH9

Video : Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Sound : Realtek HD (onBoard)

HDD : Hitachi 7K1000.B 1TB, Samsung F1 750GB

Installed with iAtkos 7, all fine until I add the extra 2GB ram, even fails if I add 1GB to make the total 3GB.

It boots perfect if I just use any ram to make 2GB total.

I managed to fix this issue by finding this thread and installing the modified JMicronATA: v0.6 and AppleATIATA: v0.1 kexts.

This seemed to work at first but then randomly after a reboot or shutdown it would fail to boot again, I think this had something to do with after I used my windows partition it would fail to boot again.

Then I backed up my system and installed the oem 10.5.8 update via apple update, rebooted and now the system works fine with 4GB!

I have yet to go back into my Windows partition just incase it goes wrong again :/

Hope that helps, let me know.