Out of Bays, need a solution

6 posts in this topic

I built a home-brew PC just so I could fit 6 HDs within the case, well after a year they are all full and I am out of space again. What is the best solution to fit at least 10 HD bays. I assume some type of NAS, but I have never set up a RAID and I know now is the time I should. I would like some type of setup where I could add drives later and they would still be able to be implemented into the RAID. Are there any cheap cases out there, and what OS should this run on?

If you could provide links to a tutorial it would be much appreciated

I built a home-brew PC just so I could fit 6 HDs within the case, well after a year they are all full and I am out of space again. What is the best solution to fit at least 10 HD bays. I assume some type of NAS, but I have never set up a RAID and I know now is the time I should. I would like some type of setup where I could add drives later and they would still be able to be implemented into the RAID. Are there any cheap cases out there, and what OS should this run on?

If you could provide links to a tutorial it would be much appreciated

Well you are not really going to find a cheap case to hold that many hard drives, my case I use is a Cooler Master Stacker 830 is the model number. It has what they call a 4-in-3 modules you can put in there so it will fit a dozen drives if I had the third one in it plus still having room for an optical drive. When I was looking at NAS as a backup solution the boxes for it were damn expensive I went with a Mediasonic Probox four drive USB/e-SATA box which I hooked to a Sonnet Tempo e-SATA dual port card allowing up to eight drives online line at a time more if you don't mind switching cables around on the third or more boxes if you got that many, transfers using the e-SATA are usually around the 65-80 MB/s range.

Well you are not really going to find a cheap case to hold that many hard drives, my case I use is a Cooler Master Stacker 830 is the model number. It has what they call a 4-in-3 modules you can put in there so it will fit a dozen drives if I had the third one in it plus still having room for an optical drive. When I was looking at NAS as a backup solution the boxes for it were damn expensive I went with a Mediasonic Probox four drive USB/e-SATA box which I hooked to a Sonnet Tempo e-SATA dual port card allowing up to eight drives online line at a time more if you don't mind switching cables around on the third or more boxes if you got that many, transfers using the e-SATA are usually around the 65-80 MB/s range.

Wow very cool, just looked at a few pictures on New Egg and you can certainly fit 12 drives in there. Did they provide modules to allow all drives?

Wow very cool, just looked at a few pictures on New Egg and you can certainly fit 12 drives in there. Did they provide modules to allow all drives?

No you just get the one "starter" module then you would need to buy the other two, I picked up my second one on Ebay dirt cheap the case itself for that matter too...

Hey jpeazy..

This is totally unrelated.. but when I read your title.. I thought you were talking about a certain "Bay".. of the "Pirate" :)

Hell man, I think its end is near.. :wacko: what WILL we do when the Bay is out?

thats exactly what I thought too :)