Latitude D800 / Precision M60 Notebook

eight_sixx

10 posts in this topic

The Latitude D800 is a widescreen "desktop replacement" 10lb notebook. Due to the hardware similarities, it is essentially similar to the Dell Precision M60 Notebook,, meant more for CAD users. You can flash the bios between D800 and M60 without any problems (flashing M60 onto D800 gives you the ability to use faster PC2700 RAM). These notebooks use Pentium M (SSE2) CPUs.

Installed with patched DVD. Here is what works:

ICH4 Sigmatel AC97 Sound. (No stuttering or popping at all).

Volume + - and Mute buttons.

Broadcom BCM57XX Integrated Network Controller.

Firewire Port. (Tried with external firewire drive).

USB 2.0 Ports. (Tried with external USB hard drive and CDROM drive and WLAN adapter).

PCMCIA slot.

CD/DVD drive.

External D-Link USB DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter.

What kinda works:

GeForce Go 4200 Video - VESA 3.0 support only, no Quartz Extreme or CoreImage.

Touchpad (can use it to move mouse, but tapping will not simulate clicking the mouse buttons. The seperate L and R click buttons on the touchpad do work though).

Sleep when closing top lid - laptop closes network connections and stuff, but display does not turn off. Some ACPI issues, methinks.

What doesnt work:

MiniPCI - Intel 2200 wireless card. A Dell TrueMobile 1350/1450 would work though.

Untested:

Smartcard reader.

Modem - recognized, can configure PPP properties to dial up, havent actually tried dialling out though. (Long live broadband internet access!)

Here is what works:

<snip>

Broadcom BCM57XX Integrated Network Controller.

Is this the gigabit controller? Did you have to install any additional drivers to get this to work? I have a Latitude D410 with similar specs to your laptop but the network card isn't working.

Cheers

Is this the gigabit controller? Did you have to install any additional drivers to get this to work? I have a Latitude D410 with similar specs to your laptop but the network card isn't working.

I have the exact same D800 laptop and have experienced the same symptoms (as far as what does and does not work). I originally used the VMware patched image instead of the "Generic OSx86 Install DVD Patcher version Release1" method and could not get the Gigabit Ethernet NIC to work until I installed Maxxuss' SSE3 to SSE2 patch -> Click Here.

I have the exact same D800 laptop and have experienced the same symptoms (as far as what does and does not work).  I originally used the VMware patched image instead of the "Generic OSx86 Install DVD Patcher version Release1" method and could not get the Gigabit Ethernet NIC to work until I installed Maxxuss' SSE3 to SSE2 patch -> Click Here.

Strange. My D800's gigabit card has always worked, even before I applied any maxxus patches. But then again, the motherboard on this D800 was fried a couple of months back, and a Dell technician swapped in a new board. I noted the build number on the old and new boards, the new board's build number was newer, so maybe the hardware is slightly different. I know that the smartcard slot now looks totally different than a "stock" D800s.

PS ... can you confirm that dialup works on a D800? I would, but dont have any dialup accounts to try.

mine worked right out of the box, i did however flash the BIOS with the M60 BIOS...other than that, it is also a new RMA'd mobo..

also, the D800/M60 also shares the same chassis with the inspiron 8600.

One thing that doesnt work for me is a USB mouse...i seriously cant stand touchpads so it drives me crazy :)

Thanks guys, I've since found out that the Broadcom Gigabit BCM570x is supported, this is the chipset used on the D800 and XPS2 (and probably others). The "x" in 570x can be 0,1,3 or 4, not sure if they are all supported though.

The chipset in the D410 (and D510, D610, D810) is the BCM5751, which isn't supported unfortunately. It is a newer version of the chipset and support for it was added in drivers, i.e. it doesn't work with older drivers which is why it doesn't work with the driver that supports the 570x.

Could anyone with Dell laptops and a Broadcom Gigabit chipset please report whether it works under OSx86? And more importantly, please state the exact chipset, i.e. fill in the "x" - you can check the exact chipset with the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite, which you can find on the Dell support page for your laptop.

• 1 month later...

hmmm.....that's interesting to me that you were able to flash in the M60 bios and it worked alright. I'm trying to find a bios that I can flash into my D610 that will enable me to alter the amount of video memory that I have allocated for my GMA 900, and potentially get QE and CI working under OS X. If i can get the bios to just let me play around with some of my laptop settings..I might stand a fighting chance here!

• 2 weeks later...
GMA900 in dells are set up with the amount of ram you have and with Windows so boot in to windows first and restart into Mac OS X. QE must have atleast 16mb to work.

Is this a one time procedure whereby windows somehow updates the Dell BIOS or something?

Or must you boot into windows every time prior to going into OS X?

• 3 weeks later...

this procedure won't work on GMA900 cards. Intel 915 graphics cards wipe the memory allocation after a soft reboot, whereas older 855 cards will allow the user to boot into windows, allocate a sufficient amount of memory, and then reboot into OS X keeping the right amount of memory.

A new bios might fool the OS into allocating a set amount of memory permanently. But there's no real way to know here.