The Bestest Cheapest OSX PC

4 posts in this topic

I am an ex-hackintosher and in the past month I've been trying to install osx on about 3 different laptops with zero luck.

I have $400 to spend on just a tower, which I can build myself but I've been so out of the game that I don't know what works anymore. I know I could spend hours reading every post along with their many pages but I was curious if any of you would like to help me out?

I am looking for a stable PC configuration that could run 10.5.7 with little hiccups. I am not looking to overclock this tower so I am opento many motherboard choices with sound/LAN working, I am even open to integrated graphics since this is a development build for the iPhone SDK. I am looking for an intel build, one with a cheapo core 2 processor (pentium they call them now?). All in all, I'm just asking if you guys/gals would have a good motherboard suggestion for anlow budget build?

I always appreciate the help!

Asus P5GC-MX1333

Belkin 10/1000 NIC (onboard tricky to install and the belkin is 1000-T!!)

Palit 8500GT (cheap but half decent video card, easily installed with NVDarwin or NVInject.

Any Core2Duo Chip, say a 3.0GHz

A couple sticks of RAM

Any SATA Hard Drive

Cheap case, DVD-ROM, etc...

Should be under $400 easy

I am an ex-hackintosher and in the past month I've been trying to install osx on about 3 different laptops with zero luck.

I have $400 to spend on just a tower, which I can build myself but I've been so out of the game that I don't know what works anymore. I know I could spend hours reading every post along with their many pages but I was curious if any of you would like to help me out?

I am looking for a stable PC configuration that could run 10.5.7 with little hiccups. I am not looking to overclock this tower so I am opento many motherboard choices with sound/LAN working, I am even open to integrated graphics since this is a development build for the iPhone SDK. I am looking for an intel build, one with a cheapo core 2 processor (pentium they call them now?). All in all, I'm just asking if you guys/gals would have a good motherboard suggestion for anlow budget build?

I always appreciate the help!

An Intel D945GCLF ($60), a case ($35), a 2 gig stick of RAM ($25), a hard drive ($60) and a DVD-ROM drive ($25) should get you running for about $205 and will run a retail version of Mac OS X 10.5.7 with the chameleon bootloader just fine including all hardware working (with a few optional kexts that are floating around this site). For a little extra oomph you can go with the D945GCLF2 for an extra $20 and stick a PCI GeForce 9400 GT into the system for an extra $50.