Ati X1550 Adventures, 0x7183 Working QE/CI

Nividica

34 posts in this topic

(First Topic Yay!)

Well, I'll start out by saying this site has been nothing but uber-helpfull in my quest to get my issues sorted out.

EDIT: I now have QE/CI/Resolutions working on my AtiX1550, ID: 0x7183. Read on from post #4 to see how I did it and those who helped me :)

FILE: ATIRadeonX1000.kext

FILE: ATINDRV.kext

So, my current issue: QE/CI on my graphics card. (I'll post all the specs at the bottom)

I have been at this for days now, and every-time I think I've found the solution, I am thwarted yet again.

--Change Log--

• First I installed OSX.
    • GFX: Some resolution options, no QE/CI/GL

[*]Installed OSX86Tools, turned on GL

• I *think* GL works, untested

[*]Modifying my info.plist in the ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Nothing, just an extra kext loaded

[*]Removed ATINDRV.kext

• One resolution, super slow redraw

[*]Added the ATINDRV.kext back

• Still only one resolution, redraw back to normal

[*]Downloaded and tested several modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Most no changes, some kernal panic

[*]Downloaded NATIT

• Tons of resolutions, fastest redraw rate yet, and color profile support

[*]Downloaded NatitX1300

• Conflict with ATIRadeonX1000.kext

[*]Removed ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Back to pre conflict state, rotation now supported

[*]Modified the ATIRadeonX1000 HEX file with my device code as suggested in topic 148374

• Boot time kernal panic

[*]Removed all injectors

• Still kernal panics

[*]Removed ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• Back to 1 resolution

[*]Downloaded Natit_auto as suggested in topic 169456 (ty super_engine)

• The resolutions,rotation,color profiling again

[*]Added back in the original ATIRadeonX1000.kext

• No Changes

End Result:

Supported: GL/Resolutions/Color Profile/Rotation

UnSupported:QE/CI

--End Change Log--

:P

Ok so by this point I have read hundreds of forum posts, restarted my system more times than I care to count, not once did i have QE or CI,and Im just overall pissed at my gfx card. I have full faith that it can be done, but I have ran to into a wall with my skills.

The recommendation in the 169456 topic really gives me hope. Looking through the kext it is very well laid out, and it shows in the boot log finding and linking to my chipset. Im just worried that with all the crazy changes I've done I'm somehow keeping it from working properly. Not to mention it certainly seems the least complicated solution.

Im reaching out to the community to help get me through this one. So if anyone has any ideas on how to get QE/CI to work I will be forever grateful.

System Specs:

Computer Model: OEM Hp Pavilion a1010n

BIOS Settings: Primary Adapter: PCI

GFX Card: Visontek ATI X1550

OSX:iDeneb 1.5.5

System Profiler Report:

ATI Radeon X1300 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1300 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7183

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

EDIT: Added OS build

EDIT: Added link to the 169456 and 148374 topics

Still no luck.

I tried the 1056.zip, I found it somwhere on the forum, but for the life of me, I can't find it again.

That cause a kernal panic, and after removing the drivers just a black screen. I reinstalled the ATINDRV.kext that was replaced and Natit and restored my system back to the resolution/GL state.

Im just having no luck :lol:

Hey olav, I found a post that might help us with the issue. It will be a bit before I can post back if it works for me, but I will let you know.

Topic 69345

You mean this method?

Okay, so after many reinstallations, kext editing, hex editing, I finally got my PCIE ATI x1650 Pro 256 mb card QE/CI enabled and ability to change resolutions. My method on getting it to work should work for all x1x00 series cards. Here is how I did it.

Necessary Files:

1. ATIinject.kext (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=16708)

2. Your ORIGINAL ATIRadeonX1000.kext

Program Needed:

0xED - HexEditor program

Chapter 1: Editing ATIinject.kext

1. Right click on ATIinject.kext and select "Show Package Contents"

2. Open the contents folder

3. Open info.plist in TextEdit

4. Find the section below and change the DeviceID to your cards DeviceID (to find your device id, open system profiler and look at your graphics card information, it will be listed in there.)

For example below, if your DeviceID = 71c3.

CODE

<key>ATY,DeviceID</key>

<integer>0x71c3</integer>

5. You can remove the following code from the file, it was unnecessary in my case, but if you have problems, you may need to put this back in:

CODE

<key>ATY,FrameBufferOffset</key>

<integer>0x00000080</integer>

<key>ATY,IOSpaceOffset</key>

<integer>0x00300000</integer>

<key>ATY,VRAM,MemSize</key>

<integer>0x00000100</integer>

6. Now save and exit the file.

Chapter 2: Editing ATIRadeonX1000 info.plist

1. Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ and copy your ATIRadeonX1000.kext to your desktop, and also make a backup copy just in case.

2. Right click on ATIRadeonX1000.kext and select "Show Package Contents"

3. Open the contents folder

4. Open Info.plist with TextEdit

5. Find the section below and replace the existing 0x71c01002 with your DeviceID along with your Vender ID so it matches the same format as others.

For example below, if your DeviceID = 71c3, you change the exisiting 0x71c01002 to 0x71c31002.

CODE

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x71871002 0x71c31002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C51002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002</string>

Chapter 3: HexEditing ATIRadeonX1000 binary file so QE/CI can be enabled

1. Open the program 0xED

2. Click File, Open...

3. Navigate to Users/Username/Desktop/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000

4. Now go to Edit, Find, Find...

5. Find: c071 | Replace: type in your device id, but reverse the pair... so if your device id is 71c3, thus you type, c371 | Search Type: Hex, then hit Replace All. (should replace 2 incidences)

6. Then again do the same as above, but with this information instead, Find: 71c0 | Replace: your device id as you normally see it | Search Type: Hex, then hit Replace All. (should replace 6 incidences)

7. Click File, Save, then exit the program.

Chapter 4: Removing cache files, copying files, and repairing permissions

1. Go to System/Library/Caches and delete the com.apple.kernelcaches folder thats in there.

2. Go to System/Library/ and delete the Extensions.mkext file

3. Go to System/Library/Extensions and delete the caches folder thats in there.

4. Go to System/Library/Extensions and delete the ATIRadeonx1000.kext

5. Copy the edited ATIinject.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kext to your System/Library/Extensions. (Leopard might complain that the kext was improperly installed, ignore this)

6. Open terminal, after each line, hit the enter button.

CODE

sudo -s

type your password

chmod -R 755 //After 755 hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIinject.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

chown -R root:wheel //After wheel hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIinject.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

chmod -R 755 //After 755 hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIRadeonX1000.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

chown -R root:wheel //After wheel hit the spacebar, drag and drop ATIRadeonX1000.kext from Extensions folder into terminal

7. Reboot your computer and hit F8 at boot up to get to the boot: prompt.

8. Type -v -f

9. WISH THAT THERE ARE NO KERNEL PANICS AND QE/CI IS ENABLED!

I'm eager to try, just need to sort my disks first.

I replaced the first device id in the plist file with mine (715f) now, and replaced it in the binary file with the hex editor as well (according to instructions) and it works! Yes, QE/CI support, will try dual monitors for fun but it seems that people having troubles with that.

Here is the modded file for 715f, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=52508

I replaced the first device id in the plist file with mine (715f) now, and replaced it in the binary file with the hex editor as well (according to instructions) and it works! Yes, QE/CI support, will try dual monitors for fun but it seems that people having troubles with that.

Here is the modded file for 715f, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=52508

yup.. it's just like that! :D in my case, dev id 7181, i change device 7187 to 7181 on the info.plist on ATIRadeonX1000.kext. On the binary, i search for 8771 (only one instance) and replace by 8171.

And if you guys open ATINDRV.kext, go to Plugins folder, open ATY_Sphyrna.kext (framebuffer), find info.plist and edit:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		   <string>IONDRVDevice</string>

to

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

you'll get the rest working, resolution, rotation, etc... This part can also be done on dsdt (and GFX string, i figure). No need for injectors!! (natit, etc...)

This works for my ATI.. it's supposed to be a X1600 but uses same rv516 GPU as X1300/1550. This "little" detail kept me running around for ages <_< thinking Wormy was the framebuffer.

Hope it helps...

Glad to hear that it worked out for you! Im finally back to my house and am going to get to try this out tonight. *crosses fingers*

And ill be sure to check which framebuffer is being loaded, im sure that would have had me running in circles for hours, ty Azimutz

No luck with this method yet, i get a kernal panic, but im not giving up! Im going to try it without the ATIinjector.

Also, when i add my device id to x1000.kext's info.plist, system profiler shows that ATY_Carreta is loaded. Im not sure what to think about that.

Don't you have some injector lost in the system? Adding the device id on ATIRadeonX1000 only loads it self, not the framebuffer.

Something else is loading Caretta. Clean you system, remove injectors and any previous patch and do it like it's explained..

Don't you have some injector lost in the system? Adding the device id on ATIRadeonX1000 only loads it self, not the framebuffer.

Something else is loading Caretta. Clean you system, remove injectors and any previous patch and do it like it's explained..

Still no luck, here are my steps

Reinstalled OSX

Booted into single user mode to removed the mouse and trackpad drivers from ApplePS2Controller to get my ps2 kepboard to work. (usb mouse)

Installed PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to fix my ethernet. (file was saved on another disk)

Rebooted with -v -f

Generated KextList.txt

Used OSXtools's removed injectors, and clean extension cache, and touch extensions.

Rebooted with -v -f

Generated a 2nd KextList, used diff, shows no changes

Copied ATIRadeonX1000.kext to my desktop

Modified Info.plist replaced the device ID 71c0 with 7183

Opened the ATIRadeonX1000 hex file with HexEdit

Replaced 1 occurrence of c071 with 8371 on line B9680

Replaced 4 occurrences of 71c0 with 7183 on lines 271B0, 5EB80, 5EBA0, 83890

In terminal

> sudo -s

> rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

> cp -r ~/Desktop/ATIRadeonX1000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

System Hangs

Boot into single user mode

Checked /System/Library/Extension/ATIRadeonX1000.kext, it is the modified file

> chown -r root:wheel ATIRadeonX1000.kext

> chmod -r 755 ATIRadeonX1000.kext

Navigated to the ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Sphyrna

using vi modified the info.plist changeing IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice

removed all caches the way the guide explains

Rebooted with -v -f

System Hangs just after mDNSResponder starting, (usualy where it starts listing devicefamilymatch info)

Rebooted with -v -f

System Hangs in the same place

Rebooted with -x

Ran Disk Utility > Repair permisions

Cleared extension cache and touched extension folder via OSXTools

Rebooted with -v -f

Kernal Panic, onscreen trace shows ATIRadeonX1000.kext was the cause

Rebooted in single user mode, moved ATIRadeonX1000.kext to /

Cleared extension caches

Rebooted with -v -f

System boots, no res QE CI or GL

*sigh* am I missing something obvious?

Ive included the Kext Lists i generated, as well as the orginal ATIRadeonX1000.kext, and the modified Sphyrna and X1000 kexts

KextList.txt

KextListAfterInjectorRemoveTool.txt

ATY_Sphyrna.kext.zip

Original_ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

Modified_ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

Have you tried to just replace the device id in the plist and in the hex file? I didn't mess with anything else, but it was not easy to select which device I should replace. I downloaded two other modded plists for other device id:s on the x1550 than my own and concluded that I should replace the first device string in the plist. For me it was 0x71871002, not 0x71C01002 like the instructions said.

Hey nividica, that's all correct but, you should edit dev id 7187!! May also work editing 7146 because it's also a rv516 device but, try 7187 first.

71c0 is a dev id for X1600 cards, rv530. Here is a list of ATI device id's: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

And you don't need to find/replace all the 7187 instances on the binary but, it doesn't hurt. Find/replace 8771 (one instance) is enough and that is the important one.

It has to work, mate :)

Hey nividica, that's all correct but, you should edit dev id 7187!! May also work editing 7146 because it's also a rv516 device but, try 7187 first.

71c0 is a dev id for X1600 cards, rv530. Here is a list of ATI device id's: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002

And you don't need to find/replace all the 7187 instances on the binary but, it doesn't hurt. Find/replace 8771 (one instance) is enough and that is the important one.

It has to work, mate wink_anim.gif

OMFG! I'm tickled to death!

So I tried just modifying one 8771, panic, modifying both 8771, panic.

By this point I was so discouraged, but "Oh yeah" I forgot to edit the 7187's. Edited both of them.

Installed the kext... Error: blah blah Kext installed incorrectly

Ok, disk utility, repair permissions.

That finished, and i was rushing to clear the extension cache, done.

But wait.. all of the other times i instantly got a "You need to reboot your machine", this time nothing.

Ok this gives me hope.

Rebooted with -v -f

Got to the fatal point, and what happens, a :P load of CRAZY colors. "Thats different"

Blue screen. O_O

Desktop. (O_O)

Menu bar has fading. ( (O_O) )

System profiler > QE/CI supported. :censored2: on self.

Im so psyched. No resolutions yet, but im sure ill get that very soon when i edit the ATINDRV. And I have mouse tearing, but I can live with that for now.

Thank you so much Azimutz and Olav

0x7183_ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

Success!

I now have FULL support for my card and monitor.

QE: Supported

CI: Supported

Resolutions: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Color Profile: Supported

Mouse Tearing: None

I tried editing the ATY_Sphyrna by changing

<string>IONDRVDevice</string>

to

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

No changes, so I also changed

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<string>ATY,Sphyrna</string>

to

<key>IONameMatch</key>
<string>display</string>

Black Screen after boot, but luckily I had screen share and ssh enabled, so i could see that it was working.

Reverted ATINDRV back to its orginal state, and tried with ATY_Caretta

Bingo, works like a charm!

So here is the ATINDRV.kext

ATINDRV.kext.zip

Caretta?? :hysterical: well, if it works :hysterical: this "who uses what framebuffer" is still a big mystery to me so, if it doesn't work whit one try another.

In fact, Sphyrna doesn't give me the image quality i know the card can give (compared to performance under Windows).

Will give a try to Caretta..

Anyway, glad it works :hysterical:

See ya later..

Yes.. it looks like Caretta is the correct framebuffer :) small problems i had are gone!

Yes.. it looks like Caretta is the correct framebuffer :) small problems i had are gone!

Nice :) , I can officially say that seeing my pc pull off QE/CI in mac with no problems is a very satisfying feeling. And now thats a feeling you get to experience first hand :)

Well, i already had experienced it, not as perfect as now.. and believe me, i got pretty happy :D think my neighbors noticed it.

Anyway, i'm not experiencing it that much because i moved on to Snow.. QE/CI it's easy to get but the framebuffers are completely changed :) have to use on-board GMA950 till i get the solution.

But, let's not talk about Snow here or this will probably be deleted.. my post or the entire topic.

Hey, if you want to load the framebuffer via dsdt, just let me know and i'll post how i do it. This way you don't have to edit the framebuffer and you'll always have correct resolution, even if ATIRadeonX1000 gets replaced by updates. It also works during OS X installs but, ATIRadeonX1000 can't be loaded or the install doesn't boot :)

Reverted ATINDRV back to its orginal state, and tried with ATY_Caretta

Bingo, works like a charm!

So here is the ATINDRV.kext

I tried this now as well but I only get 1024x768 at boot, I get strange pixelated areas when I move the mouse as well. I tried both using your file and modifying my own, same result. Except for the modded ATIRadeonX1000.kext I use auto natit, maybe that's the problem? But one thing I noticed when using your framebuffer fix was that I actually could see the light blue rows in finder. However, it seems that Caretta is loaded without this:

Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Starting.
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: device-id: 0x717Fdisplay: family specific matching fails
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Found device
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Found device name
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,device_type=display
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,compatible=ATY,Caretta
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,display-connect-flags=0x00000400
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,name=ATY,Caretta
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,display-connect-flags=0x00000400
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting device_type=ATY,CarettaParent
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @0,name=ATY,Caretta
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,compatible=ATY,Caretta
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting @1,device_type=display
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: Natit: Setting model=ATI Radeon X1300 Series Secondary
Jul 24 14:07:19 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

But maybe the reason to that I'm not seeing the blue rows (very very vaguely visible) in finder is that I'm running in 16-bit mode? How do I check which mode I'm running, although system profiler says 32-bit.

Sorry, think I get it now... Will try without natit tomorrow and see if it works. Is there some way to enable dual monitor support as well? Aren't there are other cards in the x series that allow dual monitors?

I tried this now as well but I only get 1024x768 at boot, I get strange pixelated areas when I move the mouse as well. I tried both using your file and modifying my own, same result. Except for the modded ATIRadeonX1000.kext I use auto natit, maybe that's the problem? But one thing I noticed when using your framebuffer fix was that I actually could see the light blue rows in finder. However, it seems that Caretta is loaded without this:

But maybe the reason to that I'm not seeing the blue rows (very very vaguely visible) in finder is that I'm running in 16-bit mode? How do I check which mode I'm running, although system profiler says 32-bit.

There are a couple of different ways to check your color bit mode. You can check Sys Prefs > Display and see if you are on Millions or Thousands, or if you think that is lieing, i would check a spectrum with the pics i attached. The full color should look smooth, and the reduced should like grainy. If you can see lines in the smooth chances are you are running in 16bit color mode.

Oh and dont forget with mac-magicness you can hold ctrl and use the scroll wheel to take a very close look.

--

Well the auto natit would be causeing some issues, it loads the framebuffer and assigns certain values to the keys, so where you changed name to 'display' and type to 'IOPCIDevice' it will change them to its own value and load it into its own memory space (as it claims injection rights to 'display').

Good news is if natit picks Carretta as your framebuffer, then chances are its the most compatible with your card.

I would recommend moving the natit out of the extensions folder, probably to a backup folder. Use mine or your modded ATINDRV with the modded ATIRadeonx1000, clear the cache and reboot! And for good measure once you move out the natit, i would do a permisions repair.

Let me know how it goes ^.^

Sorry, think I get it now... Will try without natit tomorrow and see if it works. Is there some way to enable dual monitor support as well? Aren't there are other cards in the x series that allow dual monitors?

I would imagine so there are plenty that can do dual monitor. I think the biggest issue is that the system considers both connectors its own device, and getting both devices to play nice is not easy.

In my lspci report it shows

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series] [1002:7183]
02:00.1 Display controller [0380]: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon X1300 Pro] (Secondary) [1002:71a3]

So i wonder, just like we replaced the device ID for the primary, i wonder if we could find a compatible id in the match list to replace with the secondary? I will have to look more into this because its just an idea,

post-456433-1248479820_thumb.png

post-456433-1248479826_thumb.gif

It worked using the modded ATINDRV.kext when I removed Natit.kext. The blue rows in finder still remains almost invisible, however when looking on your attached spectrum the left one is nice and smooth, so it should be 32-bit then. Maybe I should be satisfied now :rolleyes:

This is my lspci output for the graphic card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit] [1002:715f]

01:00.1 Display controller [0380]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:717f]

So if I replace another compatible device id with 717f, I could get dual display to work?

• 2 weeks later...
It worked using the modded ATINDRV.kext when I removed Natit.kext. The blue rows in finder still remains almost invisible, however when looking on your attached spectrum the left one is nice and smooth, so it should be 32-bit then. Maybe I should be satisfied now :)

This is my lspci output for the graphic card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV505 CE [Radeon X1550 64-bit] [1002:715f]

01:00.1 Display controller [0380]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:717f]

So if I replace another compatible device id with 717f, I could get dual display to work?

Welp, I have tried many different home-brew methods, and still no success with dual display.

Most things i try i end up with a kernal panic. Altho amusingly with no kext's loaded at all i get Mirror Mode.

Hey guys,

I installed the two kexts, ATINDRV & ATIRadeonx1000 provided by nvidica, cleared cache, rebuilt permissions and everything. Still nothing. Running a 0x7183 1002. I had already removed all the other ati kexts so i'm just running the x1000 kext. No resolution change... I used kexthelper so i'm not sure if it did everything properly. In advanced mode it's script seemed to do everything.

(deleted stupid question)

I have an X1300 'PRO', not a 1550... which I think might be part of it. I think I read it only works on VGA not DVI?

Anyone? Thanks in advance... i'm probably missing something tiny, and need a brain reset.