God I hate SIS Chipsets

mickoes

15 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I have an incompatible mobo (Asus P4S800). Actualy it is the SiS Chipset who is not working with OsX86.

SiS648FX is my northbridge

SiS963 is my southbridge

Jaques Cartier is the bridge that I'm gonna suicide myself tonight..hemm maybe not.

Anyway, many poeple share my situation and cannot run OsX86 because they are getting a very well-typed "Still Waiting For Root Device". :)

If we work together, we can get rid of this bug. If we don't, hundreds of people will still see an error when installing OsX86.

Please, if you know how to bypass the problem, Tell us!

• 1 month later...

There is a SATA booting fix. It has been posted in the PC forum I think. Frankly, i just stole a 40Gb IDE from my old Comp to Install OSX and Redhat into. My Windows resides happily on my 160 GB SATA

Also try the VMware -> Native Method

Here are some links

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ATA_hard_drives

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=17330

NOTE: All SATA Chipsets are generic. ie They all use the same driver.

Hi,

I've installed yesterday 10.5.6 HotIso on my Asus A2800S. The install process was not problematic.

For booting the install dvd, i was successful only trying more and more times. Around 1 time every 10 the install dvd starts. Like some old cars....

But at this time, quite all the peripherals are not working.

A strange thing happened at the first boot: it recognised the Wireless Apple Network (i have a Airport express base), requested the wep and i was immediately online. It seemed that OSX exchanged the wieless for a ethernet connession since wireless was shown as inactive in the menu bar. But after reboot, no more internet connection. No Airport, no ethernet in the preferences pane.

The chipset is a SIS 648FX + SiS963L and i'm not able to make my HD Run in UDMA or SATA mode.

Someone could gently post a clear guide step-to-step for fixing the HD problem for SIS 648 chipsets?

Also USB is not working, nothing happens inserting an USB pendrive or a mouse. I think this it's due to the chipset that is unsupported.

Any fix to my probs?

Anyone with this chipset (or this notebook) have found some solution?

Thank you!

For tonmic: how do i find the id of my chipset? From the linked post it seems that this works only for SIS 661 but not for SIS 648.

For fireshark: can you post a link?

My chipset is SiS 648FX, and I get 30 Mb/s transfer rates... it's a bit curious that you got working the only component that's giving troubles to me... a fake double display i cannot get rid of, no QE nor CI, are they enabled in your pc?

You can find your device id watching the device manager in windows control panel (SiS Ide driver section) or using everest utilities. I used this exact complete ID:

0x55131039

Using Myzar 10.4.5 USB ports should work (they work pretty well for me, full speed transfer rates, I use this version), audio works too thanks to this drivers: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=16404&st=0

Wireless works thanks to this easy steps: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...856&hl=broadcom

I'll try JaS 10.4.6 if you get working all this stuff... make me know.

Edit: try the usb kexts from 10.4.3 or 10.4.4, they offer better compatibility. I'll try to determine their name and position as soon as possible

Well, my ATI mobility radeon 9600 works with QE and CI enabled by default after install. The aquatic effect in dashboard is active. Some little artifacts sometimes appeared, at 1024. At 1400 there is a bug: during windows resizing-repositioning the content of the window become totaly distorted-disturbed. Activating dashboard or expose, and the window returns normal.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, i will try and i will report my results.

See you!

I hope you'll get everything working... you should try callisto to see if these strange window's corruptions at 1400x1050 will go away...

I'll make an image of my HFS+ partition and I'll try 10.4.6 JaS version, or the HOTiSo just like you... see you soon!

Hej TOMNIC, you are my herooooo!!!

I have SIS648 and now EVERYTHING (but wifi) just WORKS!!! I didn't have my dvd drive recognised and now it's doing all its jobs; simply AMAZING!

Now i´m going to try and make the wifi card work following the instructions provided above in the link. My card is a WNC/Acer Warplink USB.

THANX!!!