I'm going CRAZY with audio problems...

MACFiZ

4 posts in this topic

Ok, pulled a copy of AppleAC97Audio.kext from the darwin iso and placed it into my extensions folder on my hard drive, as I did not already have that from a previous install.

So, I reboot the machine and after load it pops up and tells me it failed to load, etc, contact for drivers, etc.

Ok, so then I use the wiki audio tutorial for the AC97 setups.

Followed it step by step but cant get things to work, this is making my NUTS!!!

So in linux I get this from lspci -n:

Intel Corp 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

The numbers are:

0000.00.IF.5 0401:8086:24c5 (rev 03)

Alright, so first time I enter the last 8 digits into the Info.plist as per the wiki tuorial I save and then chown and kextload, again it tells me it fails to load, blah blah blah...

So I figure I put the numbers in backwords so I go back in and chage it to 24c58086

Then I back out and do the chown and kextload again, after this it tells me to check permissions.

And thats where I am stuck.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I'm so lost here it's giving me a headache.

Any help at all would make my week a nice one.

Thanks all!!!

Ok, pulled a copy of AppleAC97Audio.kext from the darwin iso and placed it into my extensions folder on my hard drive, as I did not already have that from a previous install.

So, I reboot the machine and after load it pops up and tells me it failed to load, etc, contact for drivers, etc.

Ok, so then I use the wiki audio tutorial for the AC97 setups.

Followed it step by step but cant get things to work, this is making my NUTS!!!

So in linux I get this from lspci -n:

Intel Corp 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

The numbers are:

0000.00.IF.5 0401:8086:24c5 (rev 03)

Alright, so first time I enter the last 8 digits into the Info.plist as per the wiki tuorial I save and then chown and kextload, again it tells me it fails to load, blah blah blah...

So I figure I put the numbers in backwords so I go back in and chage it to 24c58086

Then I back out and do the chown and kextload again, after this it tells me to check permissions.

And thats where I am stuck.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I'm so lost here it's giving me a headache.

Any help at all would make my week a nice one.

Thanks all!!!

Notice how the permissions for other kext are different from yours? One part of the guide that people are slopping up is setting the permissions back after they are done fiddling around with the id strings.

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

THEN reboot ^^

Hope this helps.

Now if anyone wants to make MY week a better one, they'll help me find a way to get core graphics or at least quartz extreme working on an Intel 855GME chipset so my less that jealous fellow mac-loving comrades can stfu.

I would also like to find a way to manually raise the Pre-amp/PCM so I can listen to sound at a decent level on my machine. It's so depressing to have to crank all of the volume settings, as well as crank the db to 10+ in itunes to manage to get a squeak. Again, I'm lucky I have crappy jpop on here to at least let me know sound is TECHNICALLY working.

Off topic: OS X on a 10" laptop sitting next to a 12" ibook makes that poor ibook look like a monster. lol internet.

You have to set the correct permissions, otherwise you'll get the "not properly installed" error.

Slap in the Darwin 8.01 cdrom

Go to terminal

$ cd /System/Library/Extensions

$ sudo cp -R /Volumes/Darwin8_i386/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext .

$ sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAC97Audio.kext

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAC97Audio.kext

This sets the correct ownership and privileges, after which you'll be able to:

sudo kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext

Reboot

Now your sound should work.