Mac OSX on Acer Aspire Timeline 4810TZ

acerboy

111 posts in this topic

@ Iverheul:

No, I can't switch it on/off, it seems to work uneffected by the softkey, sometimes the key blinks, sometimes it's off, but the wlan card always works, it's odd somehow...

Nice to hear you've solved the usb problem.

@all:

When I close the lid of the timeline, the screen (of course) is switched off, but it doesn't go to sleep and also doesn't respond any longer, keyboard, trackpad and screen appear to be dead, only hard shutdown works. Has anyone a solution, I've already tried several sleep kexts...

Grtz,

ben.rec.exe

Well...

In fact I'd assume that the softkey must be activated to get the wlan card to work, but for me this isn't the case, so the card itself has to be the problem. Which timeline do you exactly have, maybe there are differences (I've got the 3810t, European version). Can you try another one, maybe one from another notebook to check?

Sorry, but I do not have a concrete solution atm.

Grtz,

ben

@Ben:

Thanks! I have a Euro-spec 5810t. Indeed I swapped the wireless card with the wifi card from my MSI wind hackintosh. No success. The dell card works in the MSI, but the Ralink card will not switch on in the Timeline.

Do you have windows installed also? I only have OSX on the timeline

Thx Liam

@Liam,

well, is the MSI Wind-card recognized as airport usually? I've got a Medion 1210, which is a rebranded MSI Wind. The wlan card used in this isn't recognized as airport but can be used with help of a little gui-app. In the timeline I now use the wlan card from a Compaq 701eg, a rebranded HP Mini 1000 (I can't specify it atm as it isn't branded as anything). Maybe you find something about it via google...

No, Mac OS is the only OS I use atm, before that I've used Win 7, because Vista was unusable for me (it's a pain in your ass :P). Maybe I'll try dualbooting Mac OS + WIn 7...

Grtz,

ben

Hi Liam,

nice to hear that the problem with wlan has disappeared, I think that was the biggest problem!

Sleep is the next, maybe last big problem (beside HDMI maybe...), I don't have a solution yet, can anyone help, I think that is much appreciated by everyone using a timeline with Mac OS.

Grtz,

ben

Hi,

I think you ask how to remove the keyboard from the frame, right?

Well, there are five little plastic tips at the top of the keyboard (the one most left is located under the power button). You have to push them into the frame GENTLY. Use a very small screwdriver or something the like. You can carefully push them a bit into the frame, parallel to the keyboard. Then the "upper" side of the keyboard come out of the frame and you can use your hands to get it off the rest, but again be careful and beware of the connector of the keyboard, which holds it to the frame. You can remove it by opening the connector port after having removed the keyboard a bit.

Puh, I hope this helps :lol:

Grtz,

ben

Hi @ all:

Does anyone have working sleep now? Or is there anything new about our little timelines in general?

Did anyone test OS X on the little timeline (11,6"), I think it should be quite similar to installing it on the 13,3" model, as the hardware is pretty much the same...

Well, hoping for good news,

ben

Of course (I'm glad to be able to help someone,too :D )...

I used iDeneb 1.6 (iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition) for Installation and Sound worked out of the box (VoodooHDA.kext and VirtualAudioDriver.kext). But I had NO keyboard and trackpad (maybe I simply forgot to check the important kexts during installation, I don't know). I got them to work with VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.

If anyone still has problems, I can upload screenshots of the content of my Extensions-folder...

Grtz,

ben.rec.exe

could you please post which boxes did you select in the installation?? im having kernel panics.. and havent been able to boot once :wacko:

Of course (I'm glad to be able to help someone,too ;))...

I used iDeneb 1.6 (iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition) for Installation and Sound worked out of the box (VoodooHDA.kext and VirtualAudioDriver.kext). But I had NO keyboard and trackpad (maybe I simply forgot to check the important kexts during installation, I don't know). I got them to work with VoodooPS2Controller.kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.

If anyone still has problems, I can upload screenshots of the content of my Extensions-folder...

Grtz,

ben.rec.exe

Your method worked wonders for me. I salute you on that. Have you had any progress on the WLAN card? I don't think that any of the drivers on the iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition disk.

I might try that right now. Doing some "creative googling".

Will post back if I have results.

Oh, by the way, I'm working on a 5810T US the model. When I installed the first time, there was no keyboard and trackpad, but It's working fine now, thanks to the VoodoPS2Controller and VoodooPS2Trackpad kexts

You're a saint

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

Is it possible to dual boot Mac OSX and Windows Vista on this laptop. I specifically ask since there are many drivers (3G bundle, HDMI port) that need to function properly. On the Acer.com support website of course there are no drivers for OSX... (W) x 9.4" (D) x 0.9" ~ 1.1"(H)

Approximate Unit Weight: 4.2 Pounds

First off, OSX is not supported by ACER, for obvious reasons... hence no drivers on their site.

Second, I am currently running OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on my AS4810TZ-4129

Here is what is working:

What worked right after installation:

Wireless (detected as airport extreme)

The OS booted perfectly,

What I fixed using kexts:

Sound (Used VoodooHDA.kext)

Intel 4500HD graphics card (used two kexts found on this site... resolution is at 1366x768 and quarts is enabled... but not quarts extreme)... it basically fooling the system into thinking the gpu is a x3100...

What still doesn't work:

Acer Crystal Eye webcam

ALL USB ports

>>weird note is both worked in Leopard...10.5.8 (not sure what the issue is)

Besides those two items... the laptop is perfectly usable. With around 5hrs of battery life (very poor compared to windows)... it is fine to use for school and travel... tho you might want to use windows if you need longer battery life.

Side note: I must admit, after finally getting OSX on my laptop... I do prefer Windows7... but just my 2 cents.

Good luck,

this is a good bet for a hackintosh

Hi glenas,

could you explain which method you used to get snow leopard working? And do you have proper sleep?

Greetz,

ben

Just to clarify, I have the Canadian Version of the notebook... not sure what the differences are.

But, here are a few issues:

One the USB doesn't work... I have Intel ICH9 family usb hub... I've tried countless methods... weirldy enough it works perfectly in Leopard 10.5.8 IATKOS... so maybe I've overlooked something.

This also effects the webcam... as it is a USB 2.0 Realtek camera... which I've read is compatible with OSX.

The sleep issues is unresolved... and as far as I can tell its an issue with the 45 chipset. But I could be wrong.

The same goes for the quartz extreme... which is also problematic with the x3100 driver work around.

Basically, all I did was got my hands on a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 GM universal... and installed it to a partition I made in Windows 7. After install, I realized that my Atheros AR5B91 card was functional, and I started looking for gfx card drivers... which I found on this site. There were two kext files which I used kext helper b7 to install. Once installed my resolution was working perfect... and I enabled quartz using OSX86 Tools. After all this I tried desperately to get the USB to work... with no luck

(P.S.) if anyone has a kext or workaround for the USB problem in Snowleopard PLEASE let me know)

I am currently trying to see if I can modify the x3100 drivers to enable quarts extreme, but I currently don't see a work around... and with my limited knowledge in the area (I am a MBA student), I can't say I'll ever figure it out... though I do think its possible.

well, that's a bit too general :)

Are you trying to boot leopard or snow leopard? Did you check the 132-CD?

Maybe we'll be able to help you when we know a bit more...

Greetz

10.5.4 dvd, I was able to install it this way on my GB ep45-ud3p mother board.

One the USB doesn't work... I have Intel ICH9 family usb hub... I've tried countless methods... weirldy enough it works perfectly in Leopard 10.5.8 IATKOS... so maybe I've overlooked something.

This also effects the webcam... as it is a USB 2.0 Realtek camera... which I've read is compatible with OSX.

The sleep issues is unresolved... and as far as I can tell its an issue with the 45 chipset. But I could be wrong.

The same goes for the quartz extreme... which is also problematic with the x3100 driver work around.

I think i have the same laptop as you. With Iatkos, did you install any special kexts to get USB to work? Did you get the webcam to work in Leopard?

I haven't tried SL and waiting for a good distro.

Did you install 64-bit SL?

Glad to hear someone out there is going through the same things as me.

try downloading the latest version of 132 if you haven't yet. If that doesn't help, try using something like ideneb to get chameleon bootloader on your hdd. Then you can boot the retail disk out of the chameleon bootloader. That should work (although these thoughts are theoretically, i haven't tried it yet :))

Greetz

try downloading the latest version of 132 if you haven't yet. If that doesn't help, try using something like ideneb to get chameleon bootloader on your hdd. Then you can boot the retail disk out of the chameleon bootloader. That should work (although these thoughts are theoretically, i haven't tried it yet :whistle: )

Greetz

I've managed to install a retail version via a boot132 cd , now is another problem . I' m stuck

at the welcome loop. seems it can't find network card

well, i've never experienced this problem with any hackintosh yet :(

But I think I've read somewhere that is is possible to skip this step. Isn't it possible to simply tell him "no network, bla, bla, bla"??? Strange somwhow...

Greetz

well.. I've got keyboard and touch pad working now. but still no network.. my 3810 uses "wireless atheros ar5b93" and "lan atheros ar8131" and no driver for both of them .. damn..

by the way, can you show kexts you've loaded ?