Safari 4 on 10.5.6?

x986123

12 posts in this topic

I got Everything working, but now I need a new browser.

I want Safari 4... even though Safari 3 is great, mostly because its faster (4) and better Tab management. Is there a way around the damned 2009-001 security update? Can someone sending me the "Safari.app" from their Applications? I want to see if it works.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I got Everything working, but now I need a new browser.

I want Safari 4... even though Safari 3 is great, mostly because its faster (4) and better Tab management. Is there a way around the damned 2009-001 security update? Can someone sending me the "Safari.app" from their Applications? I want to see if it works.

Thanks!

Man, i have IPC86 10.5.6 (on AMD Phenon x4) running amazing fast almost out of box (just pach sound), perfect with the new Safari 4!!!

To get fully working Safari 4 on 10.5.6 folow these easy steps:

1 - Download 2009-001 security update (apple site)

2 - Install (its safe!! no problems) and restart.

3- Edit systemVersion.plist. (in System/Library/CoreServices) - Seting ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.5.7.

4- Install Safari 4 (apple site)

5- Restart

6 - THATS ALL!!!!

Enjoy!! :D

??????

The update cannot install in 10.5.6 even whit edited systemVersion.plist, so how do you get to install this update in 10.5.6

solution not working

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks tylerdvorak for the safari upload, unfortunately it didn't work. Application just quit unexpectedly.

Am gonna try gugaesteves's suggestion now. Thanks!

UPDATE: 2009-001 security update installed fine as gugaesteves has promised. Proceeding with next step.

UPDATE2: gugaesteves full works. Thanks gugaesteves! Way to go!

• 2 weeks later...
Man, i have IPC86 10.5.6 (on AMD Phenon x4) running amazing fast almost out of box (just pach sound), perfect with the new Safari 4!!!

3- Edit systemVersion.plist. (in System/Library/CoreServices) - Seting ProductUserVisibleVersion and ProductVersion to 10.5.7.

5- Restart

6 - THATS ALL!!!!

Enjoy!! :(

gugaesteves,

G'day, thank you for the explanation and your method works very well, but since you change the build number to 10.5.7 what are the benefits of doing this aside from enabling Safari 4? I mean if you do a software update check and in my case that means I changed my build number from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, the Apple update for 10.5.7 no longer appears? Does this have any ramifications for the rest of my install? Also is it still possible to update apps that are for 10.5.7 only?

I hope you may be able to shed some light on this subject, thanks again and cheers mate, Plucka

5- Restart

6 - THATS ALL!!!!

Enjoy!! :poster_oops:

Caused an instant Kernel Panic, I wouldn't advise this..!

5- Restart

6 - THATS ALL!!!!

Enjoy!! :P

Should we edit these back to 10.5.6 after installing?

I just did the whole update and install trick, it worked great. So far everything is stable, and I seemingly get better battery life??? Thanks gugaesteves!

It also allowed me to get the Java update via Software Update. :P

• 1 month later...
Should we edit these back to 10.5.6 after installing?

I just did the whole update and install trick, it worked great. So far everything is stable, and I seemingly get better battery life??? Thanks gugaesteves!

It also allowed me to get the Java update via Software Update. :(

Did you edited back to 10.5.6 after the installation?

• 5 months later...
??????

The update cannot install in 10.5.6 even whit edited systemVersion.plist, so how do you get to install this update in 10.5.6

solution not working

{censored}! The update CAN install op 10.5.6

And I edited it back because some updates in software update f*cked up my install of 10.5.6