Working: Sony Vaio V505

jaexprojectxd

34 posts in this topic

I successfully last week DD'd the tiger-x86-flat.img to a partition on my 80 gb Vaio Centrino laptop. I did it all through windows without vmware, without linux or live start up discs, or an extra hd. I just extracted the image from one of my partitions to the recently created 7 gb hfs+ partition. Im dual booting with WinXP. I had no room for my apps, esp Office which is almost 600mb. I created another partition of about 9.5gb. it's format is Fat32 so i can read and write from it since I didnt want to mess with my Tiger partition. I installed the sse2 patch and everything just about runs 100% Smooth responsive. Only app not working is obvisously is the DVD player. Im using Xineplayer to play my DVD at half size windows. choppy as hell when full screened. My Intel pro wireless isnt working but im using 802.11g with a Belkin usb wireless adapter connecting to my Linksys compact G router. I dont have my Yamaha sound, but I have working sound through intel's ac97. I also have 100% burning capabilities. This OS is so amazing i wish this was leaked years ago.....i prefer this to WInXP and the upcoming Vista (which I dualbooted also but copied it over in favor of OSX) If anyone is having problems installing, esp Vaio owners, hit me up.

My v505dh is working the same as yours is though mine only has 40bg and b wireless. I havent got sound yet or any networking. Do you have the integrated nic working? It seems to recognize it but doesn't want to work.

What did you use to extract the image? The dos version of dd? If so, did you use an ibs of 512 and skip the first 63 bytes?

Finally, if you don't mind me asking, did you repartition your vaio drive without reformatting, or did you already have a 7GB partition set aside? If the former, what did you use?

I'll probably do all of the above in Linux, but it would be nice to know what the dos equivalent tools are.

And congratulations!

thanks,

Rollo

Hardware: Sony Vaio: PCG-V505AP

Ah, thanks. Last night I used partition magic to make a 6680 MG partition, cfdisk (from Ubuntu liveCD) to set it to type "af" and make it primary (for some reason partition magic wouldn't let me!) and then dd'd the deadmoo image over, skipping the first 63 bytes. Stuck chain0 on C:, edited my boot.ini, and it started right up!

I did the Maaxxus SSE3-SSE2 patch (version 4), deleted AppleTPMACPI.kext, and everything seems to work pretty well. Automatically detected my internet connection (DCHP via DSL router), and automatically mounts my fat32 USB HD.

My only problem thus far is choppy audio in iTunes. Need to do some research on that.

Hardware: Sony Vaio PSG-V505AP (Pentium M 2.0, 768M)

Software: Dual Boot, Win XP & Mac OSX86

I successfully last week DD'd the tiger-x86-flat.img to a partition on my 80 gb Vaio Centrino laptop. I did it all through windows without vmware, without linux or live start up discs, or an extra hd. I just extracted the image from one of my partitions to the recently created  7 gb hfs+ partition. Im dual booting with WinXP. I had no room for my apps, esp Office which is almost 600mb. I created another partition of about 9.5gb. it's format is Fat32 so i can read and write from it since I didnt want to mess with my Tiger partition. I installed the sse2 patch and everything just about runs 100% Smooth responsive. Only app not working is obvisously is the DVD player. Im using Xineplayer to play my DVD at half size windows. choppy as hell when full screened. My Intel pro wireless isnt working but im using 802.11g with a Belkin usb wireless adapter connecting to my Linksys compact G router. I dont have my Yamaha sound, but I have working sound through intel's ac97. I also have 100% burning capabilities. This OS is so amazing i wish this was leaked years ago.....i prefer this to WInXP and the upcoming Vista (which I dualbooted also but copied it over in favor of OSX) If anyone is having problems installing, esp Vaio owners, hit me up.

What do you mean by "I dont have my Yamaha sound, but I have working sound through intel's ac97"? how do you have ac97 and yamaha on your vaio? i have the v505ec and no sound and no wireless... =/ i wanna get sound to run at least.

hey guys. this is how i set up my hd. ok i have an 80gb hd. i had 30gb for my system partition, C:, and the 40+ for my dl and music, etc as my D: I used partition magic to make D: 30gb and made a 10gb NTFS partition for Windows Vista. I then through computer management wiped out my Vista partition, and used disk part to make it HFS+. Later on, i then made my D: smaller and created another partition of about 9.5 in fat32 so i can run my osx programs off that. as u see, i dont ever wipe out my hd, i only mess on the partition i intend to work on.

when i say i dont have yamaha sound running but only ac97, i mean i can run only the generic intel sound drivers named ac97. my vaio shipped with better sound drivers from yamaha, which has better and advanced options, such as adjusting bass and etc. with the rosetta patch, my itunes works full speed no skipping, do u have a lot of ur memory being eaten up Rollo? seems its not processing speed, since mine is 1.5ghz and urs is faster 2 ghz.

as in networking, my built in ethernet was working right from boot up if thats what ur asking about my nic. but I do not have my intel wireless pro working.

the was i used dd was through the command prompt in winXP. i have the tiger-x86-flat.img in its own folder in my D: i extracted DD into that folder, and from there ran this command.

dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

as u can see, by chaging 512 with 32256 it made my installation so much faster, like 12 min. i added that --progress to show my progress of files installed. this is how i installed osx. i didnt use any boot up cds or an extra hd. i read those other guides out there and was too complicated and time consuming compared to my method. any more questions, hit me up. congrats rollo.

Thanks jaexprojectxd. No, my memory and CPU are OK. Have you run xbench? I get around a 20.

What Rosetta patch did you use? I ran Maxxuss-SSE3-to-SSE2_v0.4.iso and let it do everything. Perhaps some problem here with the way rosetta emulation is taking place?

Also, have you changed any of the kext stuff or added any commands at boot? Oh, and when you look at system profiler do you see anything under audio?

I'd paste in my xbench results but I'm in windows right now so I could look at the Yamaha card - mine is a Yamaha AC-XG WDM.

So far no lock up's or crashes!

Update: Here's my xbench results (not so good, particularly the graphics) - any idea what could be causing this?

Results 19.91

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.1 (8B1025)

Physical RAM 768 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type IC25N040ATCS04-0

CPU Test 12.29

GCD Loop 67.55 3.56 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 58.53 1.39 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 3.65 120.43 Mflop/sec

Floating Point Library 50.75 8.84 Mops/sec

Thread Test 47.14

Computation 35.26 714.40 Kops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 71.08 3.06 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 28.86

System 23.17

Allocate 74.48 273.52 Kalloc/sec

Fill 18.04 876.93 MB/sec

Copy 16.51 340.94 MB/sec

Stream 38.25

Copy 35.89 741.37 MB/sec

Scale 36.11 746.08 MB/sec

Add 40.73 867.68 MB/sec

Triad 40.87 874.38 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 21.48

Line 24.02 1.60 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 13.47 4.02 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 15.62 1.27 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 48.00 1.21 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 31.17 1.95 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 69.60

Spinning Squares 69.60 88.30 frames/sec

User Interface Test 12.21

Elements 12.21 56.04 refresh/sec

Disk Test 13.98

Sequential 22.45

Uncached Write 18.58 11.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 19.38 10.96 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 36.60 10.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 22.01 11.06 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 10.15

Uncached Write 3.27 0.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 22.93 7.34 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 49.03 0.35 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 41.19 7.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Hey. My xbench score is 30.51

I used the same Max sse3 patch...i burned it as an iso and ran it in the terminal.

I didnt change any of the kext because I didnt notice any slowdown on my hd access speed. They said if you're only getting 2mb transfer, then do the kext edit. I think i was getting around 20mb.

Under system profiler, no i dont get anything under audio. says no info. Thats good i dont have any lockups or any crashes. actually on video u have better scores than I do. my quartz test i got 40.37. but on open gl i only got 25.35 i only had 32 fps............. major difference i saw was our cpu test. u had only 12 whereas i got 20.73.

as to why our graphics suck, is that the osx doesnt recognize our video cards, so we are not getting video acceleration as if we're using windows. I have the radeon 9200, and i think u have it too. but in osx it only recognizes it as a generic video so we are running generic video drivers as if it were on board. in the system, it only says the vendor is ATI, eveything else shows that its running off generic intel graphic drivers. major reason why we cant run the built-in apple DVD player.

Thanks. Yes, I'll have to check out the CPU speed thing. I thought maybe it was related to the mach kernel version (hacked by Maxxus) but you and I are running the same one. I'll have to look at my bios settings, maybe something in there...

Not quite ready for prime time, but getting closer!

I always use an external trackball on my v505 - my trackpad has never worked correctly (a known problem with the v505AP and others I think.)

I'm going to clean the partition and reinstall after I check the bios settings. There may be some wierd powerstep stuff going on which is why my p4 2.0 runs slow.

hey do u guys with the v505 have ur pcmcia card buses working? i wanted to try to wirelessly network with both spares beling 54g and a microsoft mn720. when i plug in either device it shows up on the desktop but the options of braodcom and wireless b/g is greyed out, the only option is power off device. i was trying to read up on this and i was wondering if the pcmcia wasnt working right. just want to get some idea from u guys if ur pcmcia slots are working.

I think I have a pcmcia card around here somewhere. If I have a chance when I get home, I'll try and see if it gets recognized. First, though, I have to redo the install. It'll be interesting to see if the PCMCIA bus is activated when I use ACPI and/or when I boot up with platform=x86pc.

hey rollo check out my other post on pcmcia ethernet works. seems like when i plugged my wired Microsoft ethernet card mn 120, it works. in the taskbar, it says unknown, legacy, and power off pci card. then when i enter network in system preferences its detects the card and installs it. i think it might be a non broadcom device. maybe legacy? im not sure they have such chipset. but it seems on our v505 that our pcmcia card busses do in fact work with osx. give me ur take on this.

jaexprojectxd, I'm afraid I didn't have a chance to finish a new install last night. I'll try and do it tonight and check the pcmcia situation. It sounds like yours is working fine, but maybe missing a few hooks (e.g. the lack of info in the taskbar.)

So, is anything NOT working on your laptop?!!

hey rollo i caught ur other posts and pretty much agree with what ur saying. i guess i started getting excited when my wird card worked. seems like only choice i got is to get that linksys card w/speedboost. what do u think? btw, the only things NOT working is my intel wireless 2200bg, touchpad, and my ATI mobility card LoL

whuddup foureight84. meaning patch3, u installed osx off a DVD right? ok this is the thing. I didn't have to do anything to get my sound to work. I just installed osx by DD'ing the tiger-x86-flat.img.bz2 through my windows command prompt. as soon as I was in the apple desktop i had fully functioning sound. my itunes didnt' work so i used the Maxx 4 patch. what did version of the osx did u insall the first time? was it un patched? if it did work b4, it must be the patch. tell us whats up.

I installed mine the same way - tiger-x86-flat.img dd'd to a partition I created using partition magic. I also first used maxx .4 and just installed maxx .5 (with no change.)

My sound works (AC97) but it's choppy and broken in both iTunes and qt. This may be related to my low processor score (12) in xbench. Doesn't make sense since others (including jaexprojectxd) have vaios with slower processors but higher processor benchmarks!

foureight84, have you checked your output speaker setup in (I think) midi setup? Maybe sound is working, but getting routed incorrectly. I think there's a thread on that somewhere.

Oh, and what Vaio do you have? I've got a 505AP (european version) with a P4 2.0 M and 768 of RAM.

jaexprojectxd, I think you're right about the wireless. Sounds like there's only a couple of chipsets working thus far. Maybe the USB is the easiest option...

hey rollo. im no longer content with just having usb wireless working. i will get a god dayamn pcmcia card working. i did more digging and found that the wireless g card i have from belkin is compatible.....i looked through system specs it had the vendor number and id etc thats in the airport 2 kext. im gonna work on that today. do u think if this does not work i should get the linksys card w/speedbooster since others say it has the broadcom chipset?